Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
lemurgirl454

Drives: Victory Red 1LT RS
Sprinklers & Car - Freaking out over nothing?

I have to ask the question, since I was told I was making a big deal over nothing. Pfffft

How many of you would have flipped the you know what out if you went outside to see the sprinklers hitting your car? We just got sod put in on Friday and they turned the sprinklers on. They didn't bother to tell us that they were needing to turn it on. I went outside to leave and I saw the sprinklers hitting my car. I blew up. We all know what hard water can do. I guess I acted like a mad woman and chose to verbally complain while trying to get my car out of harms way. My boyfriend just looked at me like I was mad. He said "most people would not have gotten all upset about the sprinklers hitting their car." I said "Oh, is that right?!" He continued to say "well, what about the rain?" I responded with "Ummm rain is not hard water." Ugh!!!

So, I must ask, again, how many of you would have been pissed? Am I just being a big baby?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
UncleBenny

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
I'm going to go with "you're being a big baby". If you're afraid of water from a sprinkler hitting your car, then I hope you never pull it out of your driveway because there's a lot more scary stuff on the roads waiting for you.
UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Um....how can I say this nicely...It's water and it won't kill your car.

If you leave it sitting on the car and baking in the sun, then yeah, over time, you might have an issue but it's really just water. It's the same stuff you use to wash your car.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
I am with you on that. I have black and even when I take specific steps to keep the spots down I have a few. Not to mention as alot of people know they will damage the paint. I'm with you on this one!!!
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Did you not see the Camaro Factories show on nat geo? Every last car gets 'rained' on before it leaves the factory. They literally put it into a room and dump gallon after gallon of water on it to make sure it doesn't leak. And if anything, rain water would have more pollutants in it than water from a typical sprinkler...
Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Ok, I would flip out, sorry. In fact, I did when my car was parked in my girlfriend's driveway! So much so, I redid the 3 closest sprinklers and put in drip systems in their place! Black cars & hard water spots DO NOT MIX!!!

Yes, there are lots of things out there that are WAY worse! However, some things are under your control!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Ok, I would flip out, sorry. In fact, I did when my car was parked in my girlfriend's driveway! So much so, I redid the 3 closest sprinklers and put in drip systems in their place! Black cars & hard water spots DO NOT MIX!!!

Yes, there are lots of things out there that are WAY worse! However, some things are under your control!
but hers is red, like mine... granted water spots are annoying, but uh... if you drive the car on the road, even a lil, its gonna get dirty
Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurgirl454 View Post
So, I must ask, again, how many of you would have been pissed? Am I just being a big baby?

The sprinklers haven't hit my G8 yet...so I dunno how I would react...

They have hit my 94 Camaro and Accord though...it just gave me an excuse to wash them lol
Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
We have hard water here where I live. I just have to be diligent and dry the car immediately when I wash it. If the sprinklers hit it, and it does happen, I go out and move the car and dry the side that got hit. It's a pain but it's nothing to get upset over.

However, owning a car you're obviously passionate about and are very protective over, I can see why you were upset. Just try to relax and enjoy the car. Keep a towel in the trunk for just such emergencies. "Don't forget to bring a towel!"

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
lemurgirl454

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
I'm going to go with "you're being a big baby". If you're afraid of water from a sprinkler hitting your car, then I hope you never pull it out of your driveway because there's a lot more scary stuff on the roads waiting for you.
Oh I agree, I was being a big baby. However, I haven't even had the car two months yet, so I go out of my way to not park near sprinklers etc.
I now know, and I part FAR away from the sprinklers.

Oh and you are so correct, there are many scary things out there, I totally agree.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurgirl454 View Post
Oh I agree, I was being a big baby. However, I haven't even had the car two months yet, so I go out of my way to not park near sprinklers etc.
I now know, and I part FAR away from the sprinklers.

Oh and you are so correct, there are many scary things out there, I totally agree.
old ladies in suburbans! or young teenagers in suburbans!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
lemurgirl454

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Um....how can I say this nicely...It's water and it won't kill your car.

If you leave it sitting on the car and baking in the sun, then yeah, over time, you might have an issue but it's really just water. It's the same stuff you use to wash your car.
You are correct, it's the same water. However, when I wash my car, I don't do it in the sun and I make sure it's totally dry. Water spots suck!
I give myself 1 time to freak out over the sprinklers, and now I'm good. heehee
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
I'm with you on this one sister. My car hasn't see rain or sprinklers while in my possession. I would have really blown a gasket. Don't think you're being unreasonable at all!!
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Brokinarrow

Another thing to be afraid of: just getting your car washed and seeing an extremely muddy semi / truck coming down the opposite lane, throwing dirt and mud everywhere! happened this morning...