Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
airboss20

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6
Two way radio antennas

I am an amateur radio operator, and also utilize commercial and public safety two way radios. Al also happen to have recently taken delivery if my 2nd gen5 Camaro RS. In my last one, I used modified NMO trunk lip mounts for my antennas on the rear sides of the trunk lid. They worked well and didn't look bad either, but when trade in time came, there were unsightly marks left in the clear coat after their removal.

So I guess I'm curious if any other gen5 owners have gone with different antenna applications for their Camaro. I am not a fan of thru-the-glass setups, and mag mount will not be considered a solution.
airboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:49 AM   #2
chandretti15

Drives: 2015 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Look at the Stico website. They are at sti-co.com. They have some antennas for covert operations for public safety. They can be hidden so as to not be on the body of the vehicle. I am a firefighter who manages communications for my department and I also go out on overhead assignments for wildland fires.
chandretti15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
drykard

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS, Manual
I used a Diamond HRKS adhesive mount on the back glass and a Comet SS680 dual band antenna. The adhesive is super strong and can be removed with fishing line - per the instructions. I routed the thin coax through a rubber grommet right under the trunk lid - works great (even at highway speed, cough, cough)...KI4RGD
drykard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I haven't had the best of luck with glass mount on my 2 meter, and now I want to put a dual band in the car. On my last one where I used a lip mount, I put vinyl under where it touched the paint and it didn't leave a mark except under the lip where the grub screws dug in.
I can't recall what brand mount it was, but it was Japanese and STUPID expensive- but worth it. For now, I just carry a dual band HT but around here it's really limited reach due to the terrain. W0VER
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
drykard

I didn't want a lip mount for that reason....if done correctly you need to screw the lip screws into the metal under the trunk lip for grounding, and i dont want holes in my trunk! Look at the Diamond HRKS mount, it has a uhf connector and very small coax...., true its adhesive, but really strong. I chose a smaller 1/2 wave dual band to reduce weight and wind resistance....
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
drykard

I don't know what people are using for radio mounts, but I found one through Proclips online....and attached the faceplate .... in fact just installed it this morning!
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by drykard View Post
I didn't want a lip mount for that reason....if done correctly you need to screw the lip screws into the metal under the trunk lip for grounding, and i dont want holes in my trunk! Look at the Diamond HRKS mount, it has a uhf connector and very small coax...., true its adhesive, but really strong. I chose a smaller 1/2 wave dual band to reduce weight and wind resistance....
That doesn't look too bad- The grub screws on the lip mounts don't actually put a hole in there- they just leave a small indentation underneath the lip. When I sell my cars off, not one person buying the car even noticed. I dig the screws in to ground the mount, then put a dab of grease on to stop corrosion.
So far, I haven't been able to bring myself to put an antenna on the Camaro- But I have this nice new tri-band mobile... hmmm....
My dual bander is so old I can't find a separation kit for the panel.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote