Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
Key shutting off

So it has happened to me 2 times now. I guess if I make a quick turn on the road or into a parking space I must be hitting my keys with my knee and it turns off my car - dead. It happened the first time going into a parking space which only made me think - That is weird. But then it happened to me the other day driving on the road. Luckily it was on a back street where no one was around to get hit by. Dead in the road - it just shut off. Scary stuff for sure.

My keys always rub the inside of my knee while driving because I am 6'2" tall and the steering column is low but I thought that is why they took the key out of the FOB and I should not have this problem. Maybe they should have re-designed the ignition.

I have not had a chance to talk to my dealer about it yet but I surely will. Any one else having this happen to them? I have a 2015.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange skid mark View Post
So it has happened to me 2 times now. I guess if I make a quick turn on the road or into a parking space I must be hitting my keys with my knee and it turns off my car - dead. It happened the first time going into a parking space which only made me think - That is weird. But then it happened to me the other day driving on the road. Luckily it was on a back street where no one was around to get hit by. Dead in the road - it just shut off. Scary stuff for sure.

My keys always rub the inside of my knee while driving because I am 6'2" tall and the steering column is low but I thought that is why they took the key out of the FOB and I should not have this problem. Maybe they should have re-designed the ignition.

I have not had a chance to talk to my dealer about it yet but I surely will. Any one else having this happen to them? I have a 2015.
Figure out a way to stop this immediately man.

Only put your ignition key on that keychain. Adjust your steering wheel and seat position differently, if possible.

Get to the dealer pronto! You may have a very loose or faulty ignition. Please update us as soon as this is figured out. Stay safe!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
You must really have your column low. Im also 6'2 with a 34" inseam and my legs is no where near the key. Because my knees are no where near the key i never did the recall. But yes have them check to see if your ignition is loose.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:

You're the reason that the recall of the Camaros for keys in the ignition happened.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I'm 5' 6" tall and I use wooden blocks to reach my pedals... So I never bothered with the recall
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
Quote:
You must really have your column low. Im also 6'2 with a 34" inseam and my legs is no where near the key. Because my knees are no where near the key i never did the recall. But yes have them check to see if your ignition is loose.
I have a 36" inseam.

Quote:
Figure out a way to stop this immediately man.

Only put your ignition key on that keychain. Adjust your steering wheel and seat position differently, if possible.

Get to the dealer pronto! You may have a very loose or faulty ignition. Please update us as soon as this is figured out. Stay safe!
After it happened again I removed all the extra keys. Thanks
Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
kalevi

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I just got another notice from GM regarding the key recall. I've ignored it again. I have a 34" inseam and have never had this happen to me. I also ride with my knees in the dash and steering wheel on my lap. My wife has put 50,000+ miles on the car and still hasn't managed to have this happen to her.
kalevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
36" inseam and never had my knee go anywhere near the ignition. I also skipped the recall. still getting notices
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Move the seat back all the way and down, sounds like your sitting too close to the wheel.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
After it happened again I removed all the extra keys. Thanks
That's what was causing it, I'll bet ya. I people wouldn't hang a couple of pounds of keys, bobbleheads, trolls, name plates, and all the other useless crap. your knee CANNOT bump your key enough to turn it off.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
What's with the inseam stuff? When I'm driving my Camaro, my upper right leg extends outward at about a 45 degree angle from my butt. Somewhere beyond the point where my upper leg reaches the bottom of the steering wheel, my knee bends slightly more than 45 degrees allowing my lower leg (and foot) to reach the gas pedal. Because of the steering wheel, there is NO WAY my knee or upper leg can come anywhere close to the key/ignition. I defy anyone with a normally functioning right leg to show me how that leg can come in contact with the key fob, while in a normal driving position.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #12
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Since I bought the car over a year and half ago, the key fob stays in my pocket. Only thing in the ignition is the key and 1 ring with it's quick disconnect.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
I'm 6'1" and have no idea how you guys are managing to hit the ignition key with your knees.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
you're going to start another recall epidemic
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote