Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
fitzi7

Drives: Camaro
Not Happy with Paddle shifters

Anyone out there find any alternative to the paddle shifters? Find that when driving and turning having a hard time finding the paddles.
fitzi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Kurushio

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT RS (M6)
I know someone on this board was working with a manufacturer to try and come up with actual paddles but i dont know how it went or if it went beyond prototype.
Kurushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurushio View Post
I know someone on this board was working with a manufacturer to try and come up with actual paddles but i dont know how it went or if it went beyond prototype.
I think you maybe talking about me =p Yeah, that relationship has been severed for a while now.

As for the OP, I have found the problem isn't not being able to Shift while turning... but instead, when you are turning the wheel, a lot of the times, you accidentally press the shift button... Which is undesirable at most times.

Depends on what kind of turns you want to shift from... If you are turning heavily, you probably wouldn't need to shift gears while turning. You'd downshift before hitting the turn, and shift up when you straighten out. I can't really think of a point in the turn where you'd want to shift at all. Something to think about i guess.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
Clutch maybe.....stick may have been better for you, paddle shifters are more of a gimmick.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
xBlackout_Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzi7 View Post
Anyone out there find any alternative to the paddle shifters? Find that when driving and turning having a hard time finding the paddles.
I love them
Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Yeah, I'm curious, why would you want to shift while in a turn?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Someone's also working on moving the shift buttons down to the main shift lever. He's designed a new shift lever with the up shift and down shift buttons on it. It's a pretty cool design.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Kurushio

It could be worse. The 458's gets insane to manage while going through turns. Though i sure wouldnt mind trying :P
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
Clutch maybe.....stick may have been better for you, paddle shifters are more of a gimmick.
I could not disagree more. The manual transmission is a relic of days gone by. Computers can shift faster and more reliably than any human can, that is why virtually all truly high performance applications have taken the physical act of shifting out of the human's hands and in many cases have replaced the stick and clutch with paddles. Look at just about any super car and you will notice almost none have a stick these days. The same is true for F1, WRC, and many other racing cars.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
kej2u

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Someone's also working on moving the shift buttons down to the main shift lever. He's designed a new shift lever with the up shift and down shift buttons on it. It's a pretty cool design.
Link? That's what I'd love. I remember the Chrysler 300 had the ability to tap the Automatic Shifter Stick Right or left to shift up or down. I used to love that since I have a tendency to hold the shifter even on my automatic.

I had the 2010 LS in a manual and when I upgraded to the 2011 SS, I was pressured into getting the automatic so the wifey can drive it in emergency situations. I thought I would be cool with the paddle shifters but once I realized they were buttons, the novelty soon faded for me. Sigh. I really miss manual stick-shifting.
kej2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Kurushio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I could not disagree more. The manual transmission is a relic of days gone by. Computers can shift faster and more reliably than any human can, that is why virtually all truly high performance applications have taken the physical act of shifting out of the human's hands and in many cases have replaced the stick and clutch with paddles. Look at just about any super car and you will notice almost none have a stick these days. The same is true for F1, WRC, and many other racing cars.
Yes that is mostly true but if you ask more race car drivers what they would prefer it would probably be a regular manual again.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
+1
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #13
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurushio View Post
Yes that is mostly true but if you ask more race car drivers what they would prefer it would probably be a regular manual again.
Sounds like you've never driven a paddle shifted car. When tuned properly, it's very analog.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Quote:
These are not automatic transmissions like the Camaro. These are true high performance transmissions. All the Camaro does is move the electronic shift function from the shifter to the steering wheel. It cannot be compared to a tiptronic shifter anymore than a paddle to a 300 hp outboard engine.