Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
Finally let.....

(Ok first I don't know if this belongs in this section, I really didn't know where to put it. S Mods fell free to move it to the right place if necessary.)

Ok now to the story. Long read also lol.

I finally let my son drive my car. 14 year old son at that

We were coming back from the store and I drive down to our recreation park type thing.

I go to the big open parking lot that my wife takes him to drive her truck. I don't think he saw this coming.

I stop in the parking lot put the car in neutral and set the parking brake. He looks at me and I start smiling. He says no way. I say yeah.

So we trade spots in the car. He moves the seat a little closer and a little higher so he can see.

I let down the parking brake and say, ok, push the clutch all the way to the floor, and put it in 1st gear.

I then tell him ok ease off the clutch and when you feel it start moving give it a little gas. I tell him don't give it alot of gas you have about 460 ponies under your foot(Borla exhaust and CAI)

He does it. Didn't stall, a little jerky on the start, but hey, he's 14 years old learning how to drive a stick on a 2010 Camaro

So he starts going staying in 1st gear. I tell him that's all he needs to do right now, is stay in 1st gear and learn how to start and stop.

So he starts getting the hang of it. No stalls yet, still jerks a little when starting.

We come to another parking lot where he has to turn to get in. I see a car coming oh no. So I say push in the clutch and step on the brake and stop.

He doesn't realize how quick and easily this thing stops. he kinda presses on it hard and it jerks forward and stops. I say you gotta be easy on it, this thing will stop fast!

So then he goes to turn in the parking lot to turn around. He stalls.

I say that's ok push the clutch, put the car in neutral and start it up again.

We go on our way back to the first parking lot and I say, Ok let off the gas and push in the clutch and shift into 2nd. Boy did it like a pro.

He keeps going in 2nd gear we stop, and we trade places so we can go home.

He looks at me with the biggest grin on his face and says "Thanks Dad"

That was best part of this entire story(besides him not wrecking lol )

If my car was an auto I would have let him drive it alot sooner.

Just thought I would share my experience with you all.

And to dad's and mom's out there if you have a son about as old as mine find an empty parking lot and take an afternoon off from work and teach them how to drive this bad boy.

Thanks
RJT
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here

Last edited by RJT-Maro; 07-06-2010 at 10:43 AM.
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Great story
Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
lol nice
Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
KATCMRO

Drives: 2010 2LT CGM
A moment he'll never forget - nor will you.
KATCMRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
MAGfuz

Drives: VR 2SS Convertible
nice story man. I had my dad do the same thing, although it was a much less powerful car (2.2 cobalt), but he taught me things I probably wouldn't have gotten.
MAGfuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
That's pretty cool letting your 14 yr old son drive your Camaro, I've got a 46 yr old brother that I won't let even touch mine lol.
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
NJP56

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/ RS Package A6
My dad did the same with me with a 1968 Cutlass with a 3 on the tree. I will always remember that. For all you younger people out there that is a 3 speed manual on the steering column
NJP56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Great story...

One of the biggest reasons I am such a car nut is because of my dad. From the time I could hold a wrench in my hand on my own I was right there with him working on his rides.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
My dad let me drive his 1985 Thunderbird 5 speed Turbo coupe in our neighbourhood on the way home( I was 16). To be given a chance to drive his baby meant a lot to me.

Your son will keep that memory forever!

ED
soniccj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
dtm4192

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28
The first car I ever drove was my dad's 57 Chevy. I was 15 at the time (18 now). It was about 1 am and we were out in the middle of no where on a perfectly straight road. He pulled over and and just asked me if I wanted to drive. Of course my answer was Yeah! I don't think I did too bad considering it was my first time driving and I was driving a 50 year old car with a 350 in it (automatic though). I drove for a couple miles and then my dad took over again. I'll never forget that though and I'm sure you're son won't either! Maybe by the time he's 16 he can afford a used V6 Camaro!
dtm4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Excellent story RJT!

I don't know about the rest of you all, but learning how to drive a stick is a memory I'll never forget. I didn't have a 'father' to teach me, but I just remarked on another thread that it was my big sis' who taught me in my middle school parking lot. I believe my point there was... Women can and do drive stick! But the moment is to me, unforgettable!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
gold5000000

Drives: n/a
that awsome, i drove stick on 2010 2lt and it was my first time, but only i stalled like 6 times before i got going
gold5000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Great story!! Thinking I may eventually let our Daughter do this one day soon just to see the reaction on her face and see how she does.
Also,just curious,how do you figure a Borla exhaust and CAI unit gets you 50 extra HP? Am I missing something here?
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Great story
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
lol nice
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATCMRO View Post
A moment he'll never forget - nor will you.
I will never forget this moment. I hope he doesn't either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGfuz View Post
nice story man. I had my dad do the same thing, although it was a much less powerful car (2.2 cobalt), but he taught me things I probably wouldn't have gotten.
Thanks and

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroSS/RS View Post
That's pretty cool letting your 14 yr old son drive your Camaro, I've got a 46 yr old brother that I won't let even touch mine lol.
Thanks. And haha. My wife has only driven it one time. I won't let her near it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJP56 View Post
My dad did the same with me with a 1968 Cutlass with a 3 on the tree. I will always remember that. For all you younger people out there that is a 3 speed manual on the steering column
haha cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Great story...

One of the biggest reasons I am such a car nut is because of my dad. From the time I could hold a wrench in my hand on my own I was right there with him working on his rides.
Thanks Killer! And yeah my son has become a real car nut since I have had this car. He is saving up his money to buy a 'project' car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniccj7 View Post
My dad let me drive his 1985 Thunderbird 5 speed Turbo coupe in our neighbourhood on the way home( I was 16). To be given a chance to drive his baby meant a lot to me.

Your son will keep that memory forever!

ED
Cool. And I hope he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm4192 View Post
The first car I ever drove was my dad's 57 Chevy. I was 15 at the time (18 now). It was about 1 am and we were out in the middle of no where on a perfectly straight road. He pulled over and and just asked me if I wanted to drive. Of course my answer was Yeah! I don't think I did too bad considering it was my first time driving and I was driving a 50 year old car with a 350 in it (automatic though). I drove for a couple miles and then my dad took over again. I'll never forget that though and I'm sure you're son won't either! Maybe by the time he's 16 he can afford a used V6 Camaro!
Cool story. And Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
Excellent story RJT!

I don't know about the rest of you all, but learning how to drive a stick is a memory I'll never forget. I didn't have a 'father' to teach me, but I just remarked on another thread that it was my big sis' who taught me in my middle school parking lot. I believe my point there was... Women can and do drive stick! But the moment is to me, unforgettable!
Thanks! He did pretty good seeing it was his first time driving one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold5000000 View Post
that awsome, i drove stick on 2010 2lt and it was my first time, but only i stalled like 6 times before i got going
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearcamaro View Post
Great story!! Thinking I may eventually let our Daughter do this one day soon just to see the reaction on her face and see how she does.
Also,just curious,how do you figure a Borla exhaust and CAI unit gets you 50 extra HP? Am I missing something here?
Coll. You should let your daughter drive it one day. How old is she??
Yeah at the flywheel it's around that number. Borla gave me like 30 hp at the flywheel and the CAI gave around 10-12 so about 468.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote