Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Teddydog

Drives: 21 LT1 RS M6 in SSM
I can't decide which to get: LT or SS

I've been agonizing over this for two weeks now. I am going to place an order soon, but can't decide which one I want. I'll be exchanging two cars for the Camaro: my daily driver Mazda3 and my 96 Corvette. The Camaro will be my daily driver AND fun car. I have test driven a 2LT and it was fun to drive and seemed to have plenty of power. Money is not the issue (although it IS the reason I'm going from 2 cars to 1), but I don't want to spend money for no good reason.

I know that the V6 is plenty of engine, most of the time. It's better mileage is suited to the commute and normal day-to-day and it has PLENTY of power to be fun on the onramps/offramps. Comfort and convenience...go with 2LT.

But sometimes...you just WANT MORE. On those days, I think I'll miss my Corvette's power (330 in the LT4) unless I have the SS. So I'm thinking 1SS.

BUT...with the SS, you get "stuck" with the 20" wheels and tires. I REALLY don't want them! I don't want to have to spend more than $350 EACH to replace them AND they're summer tires that are totally unsuitable for our weather 3 months a year. For the same reason, I'm going to skip the RS package if I go LT. Right now, there really are no good all-season 20" tires that fit these cars. Arrggggggghhhh! I think if there was a way to get the SS or an RS LT with a factory 18" or 19" wheel/tire package (with good all seasons, like the PZero Nero on the plain 2LT), I'd certainly jump on the SS. But since there isn't...it may be pretty much a deal breaker for me! Does anythone think (or know) if Pirelli is going to make a PZero Nero in a 20" to fit the SS/RS?

Oh...and as for manual vs automatic... I like driving a stick and for the "Fun" moments I want one. But really, 90+% of my drive time the auto is probably a better choice (traffic). <sigh>

Too many decisions, not enough choices.

(BTW...keeping the Vette and getting the Camaro is NOT an option for various reasons. It's either ditch two and get one, or keep the current two)

Rob
Teddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
Sounds like you want a V6 auto from what you wrote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Get the SS! Like you said, there will be those days you miss the Corvette :(

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
SS, there will be days you wish you had the V8 and then your SOL.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
I think if you really needed the SS, you wouldn't have to wonder about it. You'd know.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
CamaroUser

Drives: TrailBlazerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddydog View Post
I've been agonizing over this for two weeks now. I am going to place an order soon, but can't decide which one I want. I'll be exchanging two cars for the Camaro: my daily driver Mazda3 and my 96 Corvette. The Camaro will be my daily driver AND fun car. I have test driven a 2LT and it was fun to drive and seemed to have plenty of power. Money is not the issue (although it IS the reason I'm going from 2 cars to 1), but I don't want to spend money for no good reason.

I know that the V6 is plenty of engine, most of the time. It's better mileage is suited to the commute and normal day-to-day and it has PLENTY of power to be fun on the onramps/offramps. Comfort and convenience...go with 2LT.

But sometimes...you just WANT MORE. On those days, I think I'll miss my Corvette's power (330 in the LT4) unless I have the SS. So I'm thinking 1SS.

BUT...with the SS, you get "stuck" with the 20" wheels and tires. I REALLY don't want them! I don't want to have to spend more than $350 EACH to replace them AND they're summer tires that are totally unsuitable for our weather 3 months a year. For the same reason, I'm going to skip the RS package if I go LT. Right now, there really are no good all-season 20" tires that fit these cars. Arrggggggghhhh! I think if there was a way to get the SS or an RS LT with a factory 18" or 19" wheel/tire package (with good all seasons, like the PZero Nero on the plain 2LT), I'd certainly jump on the SS. But since there isn't...it may be pretty much a deal breaker for me! Does anythone think (or know) if Pirelli is going to make a PZero Nero in a 20" to fit the SS/RS?

Oh...and as for manual vs automatic... I like driving a stick and for the "Fun" moments I want one. But really, 90+% of my drive time the auto is probably a better choice (traffic). <sigh>

Too many decisions, not enough choices.

(BTW...keeping the Vette and getting the Camaro is NOT an option for various reasons. It's either ditch two and get one, or keep the current two)

Rob
For those of us in the NY metro Area or other cold climates who will drive the Camaro all year round, the tires the car comes with will not work. The colder those tires get the worse the traction (especially below 40F). Forget about driving it in snow of any kind. You wont even be able to move it from one side of the street to the other. After looking around I realized that GM picked some very odd size combos and there are not to many choices. My first choice is usually Good Year, but they don't have anything in this size. I did some research based on the choices and narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. Below are the two I'm left with. One of them is a lower profile tire which is a whole question in itself and the other is not in the usual top 3 brands of tire but has a pretty strong rating. Look for the Tire poll in this area.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

• Front: 245/40ZR20
• Blackwall
• Serv. Desc: 95Y
• UTQG: Treadwear: 500
Traction: AA
Temperature: A500 AA A
• Price: $366.00 (each)

• Rear: 275/35ZR20
• Load Range: XL
• Blackwall
• Serv. Desc: 102Y
• UTQG: Treadwear: 500
Traction: AA
Temperature: A500 AA A
• Price: $350.00 (each)

Yokohama Parada Spec-X (Street/Sport Truck All-Season)

• Front: 245/45R20
• Blackwall
• Serv. Desc: 99V
• UTQG: Treadwear: 420
Traction: A
Temperature: A420 A A
• Price: $139.00 (each)

• Rear: 275/40R20
• Load Range: XL
• Blackwall
• Serv. Desc: 106V
• UTQG: Treadwear: 420
Traction: A
Temperature: A420 A A
• Price: $141.00 (each)

The YOKO's are Cheap and if you sell the factory Perellis you should come out with money in your pocket.