Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Found a Vendor for Seat Side Airbag Simulator

I'll be going down to Speedware Motorsports later in May to pick up a set of race seats. Most likely the Sparco Evo series. I've been searching high and low for something to eliminate the seat side airbag service light issue that I know will occur. There are many hints to possible fixes along with cautions on accidentally setting off the airbags if you test them improperly.

Well, after some internet-sleuthing, I came across mention of this website on a Vette forum: http://www.airbagsystems.com/simulator.html

After several attempts to contact them by phone, I finally got through and placed an order for a pair of their airbag "simulators". I don't think that they legally call them defeat devices any more. They are meant for "testing" purposes only. Order process was nice and easy and they sent me a confirmation email right away.

I won't be installing the new seats (plus harness bar and harnesses) until late May, so won't have immediate results on these simulators.

BUT, if someone else who's already got race seats installed and wants to bite the bullet and get a set installed before me, please be my guest and let us know how it goes.

Good Luck, Everyone!
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Subscribed for results
Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
MadOven

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
Subscribed for results
^^ this
MadOven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
I hope you figure this out. Tired of seeing my airbag light
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
I'll be going down to Speedware Motorsports later in May to pick up a set of race seats. Most likely the Sparco Evo series. I've been searching high and low for something to eliminate the seat side airbag service light issue that I know will occur. There are many hints to possible fixes along with cautions on accidentally setting off the airbags if you test them improperly.

Well, after some internet-sleuthing, I came across mention of this website on a Vette forum: http://www.airbagsystems.com/simulator.html

After several attempts to contact them by phone, I finally got through and placed an order for a pair of their airbag "simulators". I don't think that they legally call them defeat devices any more. They are meant for "testing" purposes only. Order process was nice and easy and they sent me a confirmation email right away.

I won't be installing the new seats (plus harness bar and harnesses) until late May, so won't have immediate results on these simulators.

BUT, if someone else who's already got race seats installed and wants to bite the bullet and get a set installed before me, please be my guest and let us know how it goes.

Good Luck, Everyone!
Are they the same connection plug that the camaros use under their seats?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Interesting!
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Quote:

Good Luck, Everyone!
I just talked to a guy named chris over at air bag systems and he was very helpful. We went through the whole system of the camaro. From Airbag in the seat, seat position sensor, and passenger detection system.

He was worried that the airbag light wont turn off with just the airbag simulator, because of the seat position sensor wont be seen. So the airbag light might still be on because of that. Also the passenger detection system is a whole other beast that has to be tackled lol. But the airbag light shouldn't stay on because of that. Just wont deploy if there is a passenger sitting there.

I dont want to spend 60 bucks and it wont keep the airbag light off. I already have my seats installed, so please let me know if it works for you or not.
Thanks
Sam
Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
RaiderSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
Quote:

Good Luck, Everyone!
Did you ever test these?