Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
There's a SIM 1LT in my driveway tonight...

Ok so it's not called SIM, I think it's called Titanium...and oh yeah, it's not a Camaro, it's a Malibu.

I went to the closest dealer I could find that I was guaranteed MSRP on a Camaro, it was Ferman Chevy in Tarpon Springs.

I had talked to them earlier about my financing available to buy a barebones 1SS if anyone had one ordered and backed out. There were none available, though they do have a RY 2LT/RS that's not spoken for arriving in the next few days if anyone is interested.

So the wife and I had a long discussion or 12 about where we are and where we want to be. My Jetta is not falling apart, but it's old and tired and I'm so depressed driving it lately. The problem is it's a stick and wife can't drive it so I'm stuck with it day in and day out and she has the TBlazer LTZ. Which is fine, that's how I like it (her in the nicer/safer vehicle).

Anyway, Ferman tried to figure out if there's a 1LT floating around the area (they've long since sold their dealer-allocation and are patiently awaiting another, but KUDOS to them they are filling customer sold orders first) that I could take for a serious test drive to decide if I can stomach one and with a little hesitation we decided to look at the practical cars.

Checked out the Impala, Malibu and the Cobalts, LT and LS trims on all 3 cars and decided we wanted to make a serious consideration of the Impala LT.

Basically I'm driving the car this weekend because we ran out of tiem to finish the deal (other engagements and they were closing) so I got the car for the long weekend, if I so desire, with a trip Tuesday to finalize the deal.

The car is everything it's cracked up to be...they really did this car right, especially considering the awful tradition the Malibu name has had lately. It's a GREAT car.

The problem is, I can't turn my lust off for the obvious...it feels like I'm driving a rental car around. It has no soul to me. There's the obvious attraction to a brand new car (took it off the lot with 18 miles on it) and I've never even driven a car with so few miles on it, let alone owned one. But I just can't fathom paying $400/month (give or take, again we didn't get to that point) for a car I don't love.

The pros outweigh the cons, by a large margin. It's the sensible choice and I can't see how it would backfire in a practical sense...but I think I would be absolutely miserable knowing this is my car for the next 3 years and there will be little I can do to fix that with the way new car equity works.

Which does bring up a solid HUGE pro...the program GM is offering right now, the price protection plan thing. If I make the regular payements for 36 months and decide to trade it in, GM will cover up to $5,000 of the negative equity towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. Which would be near the timeline of the vert...which has always been my real goal anyway.

Oy.
Attached Images

MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
So did you buy the Malibu or just extended test driving?
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
very mis leading title.. was very disappointed to see the photos and read first sentence.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
really excited about your new camaro

except... i'm a bit disappointed to see that the title stated you got your camaro & your pic is of a malibu...
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post

Which does bring up a solid HUGE pro...the program GM is offering right now, the price protection plan thing. If I make the regular payements for 36 months and decide to trade it in, GM will cover up to $5,000 of the negative equity towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle. Which would be near the timeline of the vert...which has always been my real goal anyway.
My plan is similar, except it involves trading in my 2SS/RS in on a Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
MerF
Go Rays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
except... i'm a bit disappointed to see that the title stated you got your camaro & your pic is of a malibu...
The title says nothing of a Camaro, it says Silver Ice metallic 1LT, which this Malibu practically is!

TLDR: I'm on an extended test drive of the Malibu with the thought that I'm finishing the financing paperwork on Tuesday. The car is soulless to me and I don't think I'm going through with it. But it's a really nice car.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
The title says nothing of a Camaro, it says Silver Ice metallic 1LT, which this Malibu practically is!

TLDR: I'm on an extended test drive of the Malibu with the thought that I'm finishing the financing paperwork on Tuesday. The car is soulless to me and I don't think I'm going through with it. But it's a really nice car.
Why not take the 2LT RS. There is an $80 a month difference in a 5 year loan payment between a 1 LT an a 2LT/RS. I personally would cut other expenses or figure out a way to earn the extra $80 a month. I mean hell, if you eat out at all, just eat out 3 less days a month and have pasta will make up the difference in the monthly cost.

And if you smoke than I have a way you can save enough to buy a 2SS/RS!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
MerF
Go Rays!

The problem is I don't want an LT, I want an SS. If I am going to pay the same for a fully loaded 2LT/RS + sunroof, I might as well spend $1000 more for a 1SS. I'd MUCH rather have a barebones SS than an LT.

The problem is right now, I can't afford either. My cut-off is $30k, literally. Really, spending that much is on the high end of my comfort level so I want to spend more like $25k right now.

Basically my home-buying experience has not started helping my credit yet, it's actually destroyed it (I suddenly have $130k in debt with none of it spoken for, yet!) but the credit counselor assured me that in 9 months my credit would be soaring. The only problem is will my Jetta last another 9 months?

Guess we'll see!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
The problem is I don't want an LT, I want an SS. If I am going to pay the same for a fully loaded 2LT/RS + sunroof, I might as well spend $1000 more for a 1SS. I'd MUCH rather have a barebones SS than an LT.

The problem is right now, I can't afford either. My cut-off is $30k, literally. Really, spending that much is on the high end of my comfort level so I want to spend more like $25k right now.

Basically my home-buying experience has not started helping my credit yet, it's actually destroyed it (I suddenly have $130k in debt with none of it spoken for, yet!) but the credit counselor assured me that in 9 months my credit would be soaring. The only problem is will my Jetta last another 9 months?

Guess we'll see!
That makes sense. Why not get a used car until next year? I know it sucks waiting, but maybe you can get a 2SS/RS by then. First five years in a house is rough. I am on year 5 of my 4th house. If it wasn't for the economy, things we be getting even more open, I might have considered a Z06. But to me the Camaro is less of a settle and more of a passion anyway. Good Luck and take your time. But rather than buying ANY NEW car, I would find a nice used car for $10-15K. There is a lot of great buys in that range that would be worth $20-$25k in any other economy. It is a buyers market ESPECIALLY in USED!

Good Luck!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
MerF
Go Rays!

Yep, that's pretty much what we decided....buy a used Impala or Malibu for ~$13,500 and have a squat monthly payment on it that we can overpay to knock it down quicker.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
MerF
Go Rays!

Just returned it.

Now I'm in the doghouse for not being able to make up my mind.

Ugh, I ****ing quit. Jetta fo' life.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I like the malibu but I only like the LTZ trim... I like the gray or black exterior with that brownish color two tone interior

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote