Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
V6 Clutch Problem

My clutch has started to act up. I first noticed it at about 22K miles but I wasn't sure if I might have had my foot on the pedal, but now at 28K I am sure. The clutch slips, but only if I'm a little late on engaging it. That is to say I have the engine revved a bit before engaging. I've had it happen in first and second gears.

But it will never happen if I have the clutch fully engaged and then punch the gas, only if the engine is revved first.

I've found some older Camaro5 threads on the V6 clutch but no mention of a TSB, only that GM will not cover it as a warranty item, even on cars with a lot less mileage than mine. Is that still true? 28K is the least mileage (by about half) I've ever gotten on a clutch and I've driven about 1/2 million miles in cars with a clutch.

Is there any new news on this problem? I have not taken it to the dealer just to be told I need to pay for the replacement.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Test the clutch either stopped with the parking brake on or by putting it in a high gear at a low speed to see if it slips.

I had the same feeling that my clutch was slipping under the same circumstances - little late with the clutch, little early / high on the revs - then I realized it wasn't the clutch slipping - it was the tires. Just getting a little wheel spin - then hooking up.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
tomlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint135 View Post
Just getting a little wheel spin
I had written it off as that until yesterday. The back end does a little dance when the TC engages and this was not the case here. Plus I have new tires - BFG G-Force and they stick like all heck.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
no, GM (or any car company) isn't going to cover a clutch. too easy to abuse, and most people do.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
tomlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
no, GM (or any car company) isn't going to cover a clutch
Sigh.

I got that same story with a Nissan I owned in the early 80's (brakes, just a wear item, 12K miles). I'll give you a guess about how long I owned it and how many Nissans I have owned since. Sad, since I really like my Camaro.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
rmaringa

Drives: 2012 Black Camaro
>V6 Clutch Problem

You and every other camaro owner
rmaringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
tomlink

I looked for a way to move this thread to "V8 and V6 Transmissions" but that might just be an ADMIN option. Can an admin move it there please?

I have replaced clutches myself many times, at least once on every stick car I have owned, so that means 2 FWD and 2 RWD cars. Doing it at under 30K is just plain absurd. My RWD Fords averaged about 100K.

I guess I'll wait till it gets worse, but start shopping for a better clutch. No effing way I will put another Chevy clutch into it. Maybe if this thread moves I'll get advice on a good alternative.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
I looked for a way to move this thread to "V8 and V6 Transmissions" but that might just be an ADMIN option. Can an admin move it there please?

I have replaced clutches myself many times, at least once on every stick car I have owned, so that means 2 FWD and 2 RWD cars. Doing it at under 30K is just plain absurd. My RWD Fords averaged about 100K.

I guess I'll wait till it gets worse, but start shopping for a better clutch. No effing way I will put another Chevy clutch into it. Maybe if this thread moves I'll get advice on a good alternative.
Moved.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Not many aftermarket options out there...yet.

The first sign of a failing clutch for me is always when I'm on the highway in the highest gear and I give a vehicle some gas. If it doesn't slip then, it's not going bad.

Good luck. BTW, 30K IS too soon.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
tomlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
in the highest gear and I give a vehicle some gas
Yep, I've been trying this but no slipping (yet). Thanks for the reply.

I put a ClutchMasters in my 93 Probe and it was great. I just checked and they don't have a Camaro V6 one available.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Here's the answer of your problem... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212552
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
My clutch has started to act up. I first noticed it at about 22K miles but I wasn't sure if I might have had my foot on the pedal, but now at 28K I am sure. The clutch slips, but only if I'm a little late on engaging it. That is to say I have the engine revved a bit before engaging. I've had it happen in first and second gears.

But it will never happen if I have the clutch fully engaged and then punch the gas, only if the engine is revved first.

I've found some older Camaro5 threads on the V6 clutch but no mention of a TSB, only that GM will not cover it as a warranty item, even on cars with a lot less mileage than mine. Is that still true? 28K is the least mileage (by about half) I've ever gotten on a clutch and I've driven about 1/2 million miles in cars with a clutch.

Is there any new news on this problem? I have not taken it to the dealer just to be told I need to pay for the replacement.
Any updates on this concern? Fixed or no?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
tomlink

I've been babying the thing.

I still punch to full acceleration, but I *ALWAYS* make sure the clutch is already fully engaged when I do. And so in 4 months it has not happened again. My warranty is up in another 4 months and the car has never been back to the dealer, and is not likely to be.