Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
ssmontecarlo3800

Drives: 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
Loaner Car Policy Question

I have a 2013 Camaro SS Convertible. Recently I have been noticing noise when turning the steering wheel, as well as the OnStar exclamation point light coming on in the rearview mirror. I just happened to be near my dealer on Saturday and decided to stop by and see what they said. I figured since it was a Saturday afternoon and I came by without an appointment, they would just have me make one, but the service guy very nicely asked me to pull the car up and he got in and listened for the noise and agreed that he heard something wrong. However, since I didn't have an appointment, we scheduled on for Tuesday.

My question is regarding the loaner car policy when I drop my car off on Tuesday. Does GM have a policy, or does each dealer do things their own way? Also, if GM does have a policy that dealers must follow, what is it? I was a little concerned because he made it sound like I would drop my car off Tuesday morning, and my the end of the day, if they decided they need to keep the car longer, they would call Enterprise for a loaner car for me. I was hoping I would be able to get a car right away, rather than having to wait till the end of the day. I would rather not have to get a ride to work from the dealer, then another ride back to the dealer to pick up a loaner car. I was just wondering what the normal policy is. Thank You!!
ssmontecarlo3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I can't say for sure what or if there is an "official" policy, but whenever I have to leave my car with the dealer, they always give me one of their used cars to drive @ no charge (assuming the car is in for warranty work, which sounds like your case)... I got a 13 Buick Verano 2.0 turbo last time. It was a fun car. Almost didn't want to give it back.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
I have always dropped my car off in the afternoon, the day before my appointment and Enterprise would pick me up. The next day, if they haven't finish with the car, I would just keep using the rental. The day my car got done I would drive the rental back to Enterprise and they would drive me to the dealer. Try to drop off the day before, then you won't have to worry about doing everything and getting to work that morning.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
ssmontecarlo3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
I have always dropped my car off in the afternoon, the day before my appointment and Enterprise would pick me up. The next day, if they haven't finish with the car, I would just keep using the rental. The day my car got done I would drive the rental back to Enterprise and they would drive me to the dealer. Try to drop off the day before, then you won't have to worry about doing everything and getting to work that morning.
That would be ideal, however, from what the dealer told me when I stopped in over the weekend, it seems that I won't get a loaner car until they have my car for the day and then decide that they need to keep it overnight. (i.e. I drop the car off in the morning, then they call me later in the afternoon "Yeah, we need to keep the car a few days, come back and get a loaner car.") It's an extra trip to the dealer I'd have to make. I guess I'll call and double-check.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmontecarlo3800 View Post
I have a 2013 Camaro SS Convertible. Recently I have been noticing noise when turning the steering wheel, as well as the OnStar exclamation point light coming on in the rearview mirror. I just happened to be near my dealer on Saturday and decided to stop by and see what they said. I figured since it was a Saturday afternoon and I came by without an appointment, they would just have me make one, but the service guy very nicely asked me to pull the car up and he got in and listened for the noise and agreed that he heard something wrong. However, since I didn't have an appointment, we scheduled on for Tuesday.

My question is regarding the loaner car policy when I drop my car off on Tuesday. Does GM have a policy, or does each dealer do things their own way? Also, if GM does have a policy that dealers must follow, what is it? I was a little concerned because he made it sound like I would drop my car off Tuesday morning, and my the end of the day, if they decided they need to keep the car longer, they would call Enterprise for a loaner car for me. I was hoping I would be able to get a car right away, rather than having to wait till the end of the day. I would rather not have to get a ride to work from the dealer, then another ride back to the dealer to pick up a loaner car. I was just wondering what the normal policy is. Thank You!!
I too have a 2013 Convertible with the OnStar exclamation issue. Did the dealer discover any problems from your appointment?
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
ssmontecarlo3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwk1971 View Post
I too have a 2013 Convertible with the OnStar exclamation issue. Did the dealer discover any problems from your appointment?
They said it was a problem with the mirror and ordered a replacement. I have an appointment this week for them to install it. As far as the steering noise, they said that it was normal operating noise.

Regarding the loaner car - I had to call to reschedule my original appointment, and when I did, I asked again about a loaner car and they said they would have one ready for me. I dropped the car off on a Tuesday morning and picked it up Wednesday after work, so I had a 2011 Cruze LTZ for that time.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
The red exclamation point that comes on intermittently in the rear view mirror is because you don't have a current onstar subscription and it is just a reminder from onstar, there is no issue with the mirror.

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
ssmontecarlo3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by serows1 View Post
The red exclamation point that comes on intermittently in the rear view mirror is because you don't have a current onstar subscription and it is just a reminder from onstar, there is no issue with the mirror.

Paul
I'm not sure if that was my problem, since I do have an active subscription. And my light was coming on somewhat inconsistently... like it would come on for several seconds, then go off, then next time it would only come on quickly then immediately go off.

The dealer did say there was a problem with my mirror and replaced it. The new mirror hasn't shown the light since.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
I was wrong, sorry. Now that I'm at work I checked for bulletins and found one for mirror replacement or reprogramming depending on the build date:

Service Information

2013 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual 3106 | Document ID: 3627593
#PIC5877A: OnStar System Setting Intermittent Red Fault Indicator And History DTC U1804 - (Sep 27, 2013)
Subject: OnStar System Setting Intermittent Red Fault Indicator And History DTC U1804 Models: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro with Frameless Inside Rearview Mirror (RPO DBX) This PI was superseded to update recommendations. Please discard PIC5877.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern A customer may report that a red fault indicator comes up on the mirror at times. When checking for codes, only DTC U1804 may be set as history in the VCIM.
Recommendation/Instructions For 2013 Camaro's built before January 1, 2013 – Replace the mirror. These mirrors are not programmable and a replacement mirror will have the newest software. No programming is required.
For 2013 Camaro's built on, or after, January 1, 2013 - Attempt to program the Inside Review Mirror Module (ISRVM) with the latest calibration in TIS2Web prior to mirror replacement. These vehicles have a programmable mirror and the newest calibration should correct the issue.
Warranty Information For vehicles repaired under warranty, please select the appropriate labor operation listed below:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
Inside Rearview Mirror Replacement
Use Published Labor Time
Inside Rearview Mirror Programming and Setup
0.4 hr
* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

I think your problem should be taken care of.

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
I have an appointment Wednesday to have my mirror looked at.
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote