Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #1
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Modding the Z/28

At the risk of getting flamed
I love modding cars and my old 2010 2SS was heavily modded and had a great aftermarket sound system. I drove that car every day and enjoyed it without worry. With the Z/28, I feel I can't do these things because it's such a rare car.

What are your opinions on modding and daily driving (not winter) the car?

for starters the mods I planned are to put in a rear view camera and reinstall my sound system with a MyLink conversion (which requires sound deadening that trunk and doors at least) as well as some rock guards. (Gen5Diy is making them)
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
A: it is your car, do what you want.
B: I would suggest adding a stereo to your daily driver instead of the Z/28. I would walk away from a Z/28 if I were looking and it had an aftermarket stereo installed.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
MiniBig

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #398
I did the rock guards

drink holder cover (looks great)

4 Pack Gauges( not sure if the oil and trans temp gauges work the never move. I have only been able to idle it in the garage though)

Removed the hood baffle (drop one on the plastic fittings down in the engine bay, I hope it is sitting in the bottom tray....dohhhhhh)

Added the "tire inflator kit", it comes with a nice containment system that goes around the battery. Very Nice

removed the 2 mode exhaust fuse

She is going in Thursday to have a Hurst Shifter installed

Future....A 4 or 6 point roll bar from RPM

I think That will be it for me.

Last edited by MiniBig; 03-09-2015 at 11:55 AM.
MiniBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Mod away. Your car. These cars might be rare, but there are more rare cars that in the long run hold their value better. There are about 700 cars built in 2015. Plenty to go around for the limited market of buyers.
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBig View Post

If you haven't, I would recommend driving a Camaro with the Hurst shifter before replacing the Z/28 shifter......The stock shifter is very good from a design standpoint and from market feedback.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
RGRCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Its your car, mod it! If I had a Z28 I'd daily drive it for sure! Definitley Cam it too.

It'd be a waste of a race car for it to sit in a garage for its life.

RGRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
MiniBig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
If you haven't, I would recommend driving a Camaro with the Hurst shifter before replacing the Z/28 shifter......The stock shifter is very good from a design standpoint and from market feedback.

Thanks for the heads up!

I thought I read somewhere that Hurst helped in the design, I just assumed they where the same.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!

I thought I read somewhere that Hurst helped in the design, I just assumed they where the same.
On the early Camaros, there was an optional Hurst short-throw shifter. The short throw in the 1LE, ZL1, and Z/28 are different than the factory Hurst unit, and both are different than the aftermarket Hurst unit. My car has the factory Hurst shifter, and i have sat in/messed cars with the factory stock shifter, and the 1LE, ZL1, and Z/28 shifter. Of the three, I prefer the factory short-throw. The factory stock shifter is too light/the throws are too long, and the factory Hurst kit is notchy for the sake of being notchy. I put an MGW shift know on mine, which sits higher than stock, and splits the difference between the factory Hurst and GM short throw. The aftermarket shifter will be even shorter and notchier, so unless you're looking to slam gears every time you shift, I'd be cautious.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
MiniBig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
On the early Camaros, there was an optional Hurst short-throw shifter. The short throw in the 1LE, ZL1, and Z/28 are different than the factory Hurst unit, and both are different than the aftermarket Hurst unit. My car has the factory Hurst shifter, and i have sat in/messed cars with the factory stock shifter, and the 1LE, ZL1, and Z/28 shifter. Of the three, I prefer the factory short-throw. The factory stock shifter is too light/the throws are too long, and the factory Hurst kit is notchy for the sake of being notchy. I put an MGW shift know on mine, which sits higher than stock, and splits the difference between the factory Hurst and GM short throw. The aftermarket shifter will be even shorter and notchier, so unless you're looking to slam gears every time you shift, I'd be cautious.

WOW thanks for the great feed back..........not sure now
Old 03-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

I didn't want to poo poo your idea in my first response, but as mentioned above in detail the Hurst are notchy by design. It is reminiscent of a 60s muscle car. Also mentioned above the shifter in your Z/28 (1LE/ZL1) is different than what came in the SS (and V6 for that matter) In my 1LE (same shifter, transmission and rear gearing as your Z/28) I have put 14k hard miles on the road course and drag strip and have never once thought about changing the shifter.

I would highly recommend you drive the car for awhile and then make a decision if you feel it is needed.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Well you know what i say, mod like your life depends on it, but for the shifter stay with the stock one, i have both and do like the Hurst in the Z/28 more then my aftermarket Hurst in my 2010 car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
MiniBig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I didn't want to poo poo your idea in my first response, but as mentioned above in detail the Hurst are notchy by design. It is reminiscent of a 60s muscle car. Also mentioned above the shifter in your Z/28 (1LE/ZL1) is different than what came in the SS (and V6 for that matter) In my 1LE (same shifter, transmission and rear gearing as your Z/28) I have put 14k hard miles on the road course and drag strip and have never once thought about changing the shifter.

I would highly recommend you drive the car for awhile and then make a decision if you feel it is needed.
Thanks, I was going to change it just for looks, i think I will hold off and look for a white round knob to replace the stock knob.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #13
ksupkt87

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
I did the rock guards

drink holder cover (looks great)

4 Pack Gauges( not sure if the oil and trans temp gauges work the never move. I have only been able to idle it in the garage though)

Removed the hood baffle (drop one on the plastic fittings down in the engine bay, I hope it is sitting in the bottom tray....dohhhhhh)

Added the "tire inflator kit", it comes with a nice containment system that goes around the battery. Very Nice

removed the 2 mode exhaust fuse

Future....A 4 or 6 point roll bar from RPM

I think That will be it for me.
Where did you buy the tire inflator kit and how much was it? Is it the GM version? Thanks.
ksupkt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
MiniBig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksupkt87 View Post
Where did you buy the tire inflator kit and how much was it? Is it the GM version? Thanks.

Got it at the Chevy Dealer....more then $100 as I remember, maybe close to $200