Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Can AFM be turned off at the dealer ?

Can AFM be turned off at the dealer ? Or adjusted to a lower RPM?
All without voiding the warantee or still passing emissions?

I find this feature nice, but annoying. I'm always pulling my shifter down to manual and downshifting one gear to bring the rpms up to turn it off, and one time I was going slow up a hill and it got kind of clunky (just one time). I really don't feel the fuel savings is worth it.

I'd rather run on all 8 cylinders all the time.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
NO.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
Blakout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NPP
I don't think you can get it removed by a dealer. You'd have to do it with an aftermarket tune. But hey, you could always just call the dealer and ask if they'd tune it out for you without voiding your warranty.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
My dealer says the drive train warranty is voided if the AFM is disabled by a tune. Even if it's reversed/put back GM will know it was done. Many Threads here on this subject.
Do a search.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I asked my dealer to do it and they called GM, GM said do it and warranty gone.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakout View Post
I don't think you can get it removed by a dealer. You'd have to do it with an aftermarket tune. But hey, you could always just call the dealer and ask if they'd tune it out for you without voiding your warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
My dealer says the drive train warranty is voided if the AFM is disabled by a tune. Even if it's reversed/put back GM will know it was done. Many Threads here on this subject.
Do a search.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I asked my dealer to do it and they called GM, GM said do it and warranty gone.
True, True, True, and True
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
AFM Sux
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
AFM is a good idea, but it annoy me every time I'm cruzing at any steady speed. I have to go into manual mode and go down a gear to shut it off. I wonder if we drop the rear end gears down a bit if it would be less annoying.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just keep reminding yourself of how much gas guzzler tax you avoided paying
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
whitehorse

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS
My dealer said there is no way they will turn it off. Does it kick in when driving in town, say at 40 mph? I will be getting my L99 in a couple of weeks and was debating on going with a manual but really didn't want to shift all the time so I got the auto. My dealer did say something about if you tune it out it might not void all the warranty only if turning it off caused the damage.
whitehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehorse View Post
My dealer said there is no way they will turn it off. Does it kick in when driving in town, say at 40 mph? I will be getting my L99 in a couple of weeks and was debating on going with a manual but really didn't want to shift all the time so I got the auto. My dealer did say something about if you tune it out it might not void all the warranty only if turning it off caused the damage.
Per my dealer a tune will void the drive train warranty: ENGINE, TRANS, REAR END AND MOST OF THEIR COMPONENTS.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I don't find the AFM to be annoying with the stock exhaust. However, I am considering installing Kooks headers and a magnaflow exhaust. Some folks say the AFM is really annoying with an after market exhaust.

The shop that is going to install the exhaust and headers recommended a tune that will include tuning out AFM. I asked about the warranty issue. They said some dealers are okay with doing warranty work as long as any problems that arise are not directly affected by the modded parts. He also said that if my dealer tweaked about it that I can go to another Chevy dealer that the shop frequently works with and that dealer will almost always do the work under warranty if needed. He says "the dealer knows us and our work."

I am seriously considering these mods. I got a Camaro to play with. I think I'm going to have some fun. Just my 2 cents.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
A6's have the AFM and M6's have Skip Shift. Both are annoying but help avoid the gas guzzler tax. At least we M6's can buy the skip shift eliminator and install it without voiding the warrantee.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I don't find the AFM to be annoying with the stock exhaust. However, I am considering installing Kooks headers and a magnaflow exhaust. Some folks say the AFM is really annoying with an after market exhaust.

The shop that is going to install the exhaust and headers recommended a tune that will include tuning out AFM. I asked about the warranty issue. They said some dealers are okay with doing warranty work as long as any problems that arise are not directly affected by the modded parts. He also said that if my dealer tweaked about it that I can go to another Chevy dealer that the shop frequently works with and that dealer will almost always do the work under warranty if needed. He says "the dealer knows us and our work."

I am seriously considering these mods. I got a Camaro to play with. I think I'm going to have some fun. Just my 2 cents.
Your warranty can only be voided by the manufacturer. Your tuner's so called arrangement with his dealer will mean nothing if there is a major powertrain failure and GM asks for present and history calibrations, that's when the powertrain warranty would be voided.
Many major powertrain assemblies require a call to GM powertrain before the part is shipped to the dealership. During this call the failure has to be described and whatever info GM powertrain requests must be supplied (IE calibration info).
The days of your dealer covering it for you are gone, it's seldom up to the dealer.
There is the outside chance that a dealer will absorb the cost themself, but highly unlikely.