Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Slope in bass output

I am full custom now and I now notice when i get above 23 volume my bass output scoops out from something in the factory headunit. I even have the JL cleansweep and the Signal Summing interface.. anybody know how to byspass this headunit problem without the metra and a new headunit! ;-)
Old 04-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
???? scoops out???
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
this was all I could think about when I read the title of this thread
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Take it back to the installer if you have a problem. Not sure what you are talking about with "scoop". Also IMO with all that work you did you should have changed out the factory HU you are loosing alot by still using it.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Most GM radios have a feature that attenuates the bass as the volume goes up. That is, the radio is designed to remove the bass as the knob is turned up. This is to protect the factory speakers from clipping and to keep them being overdriven mechanically.

The aftermarket stuff is only as good as the signal it receives, and why one of the best single upgrades one can do is the head unit. Even the factory speakers will sound infinitely better with a better source!!

In all honesty, not much you can do Sin, until the factory unit goes byebye. It will always attenuate the bass, so you'll have to tweak your settings and risk overpowering bass down low, or bo aftermarket in dash and have a true auidophile system. Then again, you'll want to go active all the way to achieve near perfect response.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Bought the metra and the new Kenwood Excelon DNX9960 :-) Thanks for your help.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
Take it back to the installer if you have a problem. Not sure what you are talking about with "scoop". Also IMO with all that work you did you should have changed out the factory HU you are loosing alot by still using it.
Why do you think the Factory radio is such an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Most GM radios have a feature that attenuates the bass as the volume goes up. That is, the radio is designed to remove the bass as the knob is turned up. This is to protect the factory speakers from clipping and to keep them being overdriven mechanically.

The aftermarket stuff is only as good as the signal it receives, and why one of the best single upgrades one can do is the head unit. Even the factory speakers will sound infinitely better with a better source!!

In all honesty, not much you can do Sin, until the factory unit goes byebye. It will always attenuate the bass, so you'll have to tweak your settings and risk overpowering bass down low, or bo aftermarket in dash and have a true auidophile system. Then again, you'll want to go active all the way to achieve near perfect response.

We just recently finished up a 2010 w. the BA system. we have no issues with reduction in lowend signal volume.

GM does have a feature known as SCV (speed controlled volume) but this nor anything else in the units reduces volume of the lowend frequencies.

sounds to me like there is an issue elsewhere int he system causing the amp to reduce volume.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post

We just recently finished up a 2010 w. the BA system. we have no issues with reduction in lowend signal volume.

GM does have a feature known as SCV (speed controlled volume) but this nor anything else in the units reduces volume of the lowend frequencies.

sounds to me like there is an issue elsewhere int he system causing the amp to reduce volume.
With the BA system, I would suspect no reduction in bass response as the volume goes up. It's got a seperate amp/upgraded speakers to handle a little more lowend.

This has nothing to do with the SCV. Most all basic GM headunits in recent model years, have some sort of attenuation built in for bass reduction as the volume knob goes up.

I bet when he gets the aftermarket radio installed, this goes away. Takers?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

i agree with mrray's theory... i know for sure all chryslers had this but we didnt think the boston acoustics setup would since they have the upgradeable subwoofer that you wouldnt want fading out when volume goes up. Cant wait for the touch screen! hope it fixes the problem.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post

EVEN my 07 Silverado Factory Deck does same thing,,,
Higher volume, lessens the bass ouput..lower it,it returns
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
Droid6

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I know you already solved the problem 2010SIN, but when I get my o-scope I'll look at what happens to the bass output as the volume increases and report back here.
Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

cool because there are people out there with subs and no headunit. i cant believe they attenuate so crazy, we're talking a huge drop off when the volume goes way up. I can see them making this a protection device for stock speakers but we figrued the JL pieces would've fixed it.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
unfortuneately the JL Cleansweep cannot increase volume that has been reduced within the Factory head.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Now i've been told that the factory head doesnt do the cut that the actual EQ is built into the factory amp. is this right?