Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Jterb69

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Whirring / clicking noise from fuse box

I have just over 1,500 miles on my 2012 ZL1, and have had no problems over the last 2 years. The other day I jumped in her for the first time in about 3 weeks. When I unlocked her I heard a continuous whirring noise coming from under the hood. The car started fine, but about 8 miles into my trip, she started bucking and the check engine light came on. I pulled over to assess the situation and she stalled. Was able to get her restarted, but she would not stay running without constantly fluttering the throttle. I turned around and limped her home. Yesterday took her out again to top off with new fuel and fought her the whole time. I noticed when I got home there was a clicking noise coming from the fuse box. All the noises from the fuse box appear to be coming from the K26 relay (PWR/TRN). You can feel it vibrating when you touch it. I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday, by am a little worried about driving the car there for fear of doing more damage. Anyone have any similar experiences? Thanks
Jterb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
What codes are being thrown? I would assume you got a CEL.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jterb69 View Post
I have just over 1,500 miles on my 2012 ZL1, and have had no problems over the last 2 years. The other day I jumped in her for the first time in about 3 weeks. When I unlocked her I heard a continuous whirring noise coming from under the hood. The car started fine, but about 8 miles into my trip, she started bucking and the check engine light came on. I pulled over to assess the situation and she stalled. Was able to get her restarted, but she would not stay running without constantly fluttering the throttle. I turned around and limped her home. Yesterday took her out again to top off with new fuel and fought her the whole time. I noticed when I got home there was a clicking noise coming from the fuse box. All the noises from the fuse box appear to be coming from the K26 relay (PWR/TRN). You can feel it vibrating when you touch it. I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday, by am a little worried about driving the car there for fear of doing more damage. Anyone have any similar experiences? Thanks
Try seating all the fuses you will find many not all the way in. Also some on the forum have reported the rear connections not being tight but I have yet to meet anyone with that problem so cant ensure its validity.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Could it be a bad relay?
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jewel RS View Post
Could it be a bad relay?

Yes, I have learned that relays can work part time, unlike a fuse. Learned the hard way at my job, I am a power plant operator. Anyhow, check the relays, but I would not hesitate to driver it to the dealer as it is under warranty. I please stop caller the car her, that might be part of the problem...lol...
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Jterb69

I am not sure what codes are being thrown, I will have to find out from the dealer. I did move some of the like relays around, to see if it was that K26 relay, but had the same result. I try checking all of the fuses and relays to see if they are seated properly.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Jterb69,

Sorry to hear about your fuse box situation. I realize how concerning that would be. Keep us posted on the results of your dealer visit. If necessary, I can contact their designated Customer Experience Manager if you have any additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
Jterb69

Heard from the dealer today. They need to replace the engine control module. Part is on order. Hopefully, this will solve the issue.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Heard from the dealer today. They need to replace the engine control module. Part is on order. Hopefully, this will solve the issue.
Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear that parts have been ordered. Please keep us posted on its arrival as well as the rest of the service process .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Jterb69

Picked up the car on Monday and everything seems to be back to normal. No noises from the fuse box, and the car runs like it did the day I picked it up. Dealer stated this was the first ECM they have had to replace in a Camaro. I am not sure if any other ZL1 owners have had a problem with the ECM or not. Hopefully, the issue does not come back in another 2 years.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Picked up the car on Monday and everything seems to be back to normal. No noises from the fuse box, and the car runs like it did the day I picked it up. Dealer stated this was the first ECM they have had to replace in a Camaro. I am not sure if any other ZL1 owners have had a problem with the ECM or not. Hopefully, the issue does not come back in another 2 years.
Jterb69,

Thanks for your update! It's great to hear that the dealer addressed your concerns and now service is complete. Please let us know how the vehicle operates moving forward and don't hesitate to message us if any additional questions or concerns arise.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
Jterb69

Thought it might be a good idea to list out the codes the dealer found when assessing the condition. They are: P023A, P025A, P0300, P0036, P0050, P0053, P0054, P0056, P0059, P0060, P069E, P0443, P0480, P0481, P0645, P0685, P0690 & P1682. There was voltage error on Circuit 2, this circuit monitors the engine run relay and this relay supplies the current to most of the sensor for normal engine operation.