Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Snake_Eater727

Drives: Forced Fed SS
SICK gauge pod

i wish someone would create these for the ss the actual pod
Attached Images

Snake_Eater727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Alanw6

Drives: Bronco
You may get your wish.

I own the company that makes that gauge pod, and joined this forum tonight since I've been working on some Gen5 parts. Your thread title intrigued me, and it was fun to see my own part.

Over on the Mustang side, I purchase OEM pillars from Detroit and perform numerous modifications to them in order to create a finished gauge pillar. I'm pretty sure this process could apply to the Camaro, but honestly this is something I haven't researched much (yet).

I'd love to show what I'm presently working on, but it's not a pillar.

-Alan
Alanw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
novice66

Drives: 2011 RS Camaro
Wow! What are the odds of that?
novice66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Alanw6

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice66 View Post
Wow! What are the odds of that?
The odds are much greater now than 10 or 15 years ago! I browse so many different forums, usually ones which are focused on whatever is in my shop. The past week, I've been pretty in-depth in these cars. It didn't take too much searching to find this place.

Seeing this thread was pure luck, though. It just happened to be on the first page when I clicked this subforum.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
so what are you presently working on???
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Alanw6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin the BlueSS View Post
so what are you presently working on???
So far, I've got two parts which are basically done and ready for production. Not sure if I should post them here, because they will CERTAINLY step on some existing vendors toes and I'm not here to start (too much) trouble...

If a moderator sees this, and thinks it is ok, I'll start a thread showing some of the pieces. Just got back from another photo shoot in an SS this morning.

While I was at Chevy, I ordered an OEM pillar to check out. That should be here tomorrow or Monday, and I can fiddle around with a gauge pillar concept.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
i finally got my dual pillar pod from autometer which was made from gaugeworks...originally i was hoping that they were doing a triple , but it went back to the drawing brd for now, airbag issues but they claim they have not scraped triple yet..if anyone comes up with a triple , i will be 1st in line..
Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Alanw6; The moderators will only say something if you post prices here instead of in the Vendors Section, so if you have pictures then let`s see them, me and I`m sure others here would like to know what you have, as far as "stepping on other vendors toes" step all you want, that`s what competition for the consumer dollar means.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Alanw6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
i finally got my dual pillar pod from autometer which was made from gaugeworks...originally i was hoping that they were doing a triple , but it went back to the drawing brd for now, airbag issues but they claim they have not scraped triple yet..if anyone comes up with a triple , i will be 1st in line..
I've only watched a little crash test footage of the Gen5, and could see how the side curtains may cause issues with a gauge pod. That said, where is the EXACT location of this airbag? From video, it appears the trim panel most affected by deployment is the upper door trim (which is separate from the a-pillar molding). If the A-pillar houses an explosive, I'm not touching it. Other options are within my abilities, like dash pods and other molded housings...

Any Onstar or audio drivers inside these pillars to be concerned with?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Alanw6; The moderators will only say something if you post prices here instead of in the Vendors Section, so if you have pictures then let`s see them, me and I`m sure others here would like to know what you have, as far as "stepping on other vendors toes" step all you want, that`s what competition for the consumer dollar means.
Thanks, Mick. I'm no stranger to life "on the boards", and agree you're statement seems the norm per many online message forums. Experience has taught me when you come in and show something which may be perceived as BETTER than what's currently available, that's when I've seen tempers flare.

As you said though, that's all just competition. I deal with it daily, often against operations that dwarf my own. It still needs to be fair, thus my sensitivity to "the rules" - especially when I'm a n0oB.

I'll post up some pics pretty soon in a thread of my own. From the lurking I've been doing, you guys may enjoy my work.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Snake_Eater727

Drives: Forced Fed SS
SWEEEEET!!!!

That is so Awesome!!! I honestly yhink that this pillar is the best one i have EVER seen. Its so sophisticated looking and different, not gawdy like most pillar pods. I am eagerly waiting for the release if possible. I will be the first in line to get them LOL
Snake_Eater727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
A lot of people are ditching the center channel speaker; HINT, HINT, HINT!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM/2SS/RS/6MT View Post
A lot of people are ditching the center channel speaker; HINT, HINT, HINT!!!
Exactly, something along these lines.

Last edited by mickss; 04-18-2011 at 07:57 AM.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Im working on one right now. 3 2/16" gauges and integrated shift light. Bolts into the two mounting bolts for the center channel speaker and the gauges are far enough forward that the center channel speaker will mount behind them.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
u need to register as a vendor so u dont get ur thread locked
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote