Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #15
Norris Camaro

Drives: Camaro Z/28
Perhaps someone with intricate knowledge of fifth generation Camaro Z/28 exhaust systems can chime in, so to get the facts? I suppose the only modification worth while is to trash the stock exhaust and add a full system, but how loud will this be?

Cats are necessary to control bad smells.

How many here have a full exhaust are happy? Do full systems gave cats? What brand did you buy? Any regrets?
Norris Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #16
jerseytaylor

Drives: 2015 Z/28. #935
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I have the full Z28 System from Kooks....1 7/8" headers, no cats, full 3" exhaust. Sounds Awesome!!
care to share a video??
jerseytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
Norris Camaro

Anyone? Hello?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #18
Norris Camaro

POSTING AGAIN:

Perhaps someone with intricate knowledge of fifth generation Camaro Z/28 exhaust systems can chime in so to get the facts? I suppose the only modification worth while is to trash the stock exhaust and add a full system. but how loud will this be?

Cats are necessary to control bad smells. Yes or no?

How many here have a full exhaust and are happy?

Do full systems gave cats?

What brand did you buy?

Any regrets?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Camaro View Post
POSTING AGAIN:

Perhaps someone with intricate knowledge of fifth generation Camaro Z/28 exhaust systems can chime in so to get the facts? I suppose the only modification worth while is to trash the stock exhaust and add a full system. but how loud will this be?

How many here have a full exhaust and are happy? Happy full Stainless Works

Do full systems gave cats? Yes if you select Cats in the drop down when purchasing

What brand did you buy? Stainless Works

Any regrets? Not doing it sooner. Only being 25 so I don't have a z/28

Thanks in Advance.
Seriously though, with a full exhaust system you can make the 6.2L V8 sound like a monster. You can also make it just a little louder but with a nice deeper tone to make you sound more like a muscle car. Stainless Works Retro catback gives you High flow cats, and chambered mufflers to give you a rich deep sound without the loud raspy bullshit. For me its a no brainer, and easily the best sounding exhaust. Your z/28 has an engine that's 0.8L larger than my engine which is a 13% larger engine. By using cutting edge science, I can only assume that you will be 13% happier than I am currently. Which means you will be 113% happier than everyone without an aftermarket exhaust. Hope my math helps you make your decision
Hixson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #20
Norris Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
Seriously though, with a full exhaust system you can make the 6.2L V8 sound like a monster. You can also make it just a little louder but with a nice deeper tone to make you sound more like a muscle car. Stainless Works Retro catback gives you High flow cats, and chambered mufflers to give you a rich deep sound without the loud raspy bullshit. For me its a no brainer, and easily the best sounding exhaust. Your z/28 has an engine that's 0.8L larger than my engine which is a 13% larger engine. By using cutting edge science, I can only assume that you will be 13% happier than I am currently. Which means you will be 113% happier than everyone without an aftermarket exhaust. Hope my math helps you make your decision
Thanks, but it's hard to follow your dribble if you will.

What is the bottom line?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #21
Hixson

https://youtu.be/NKrTCLrjZKI
here is a good idea of what it sounds like with High flow cats with the catback. will be a little more bad ass with headers.

Id expect it to be 11.5% more badass than this video if you were to go this route
Old 01-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #22
Hixson

Quote:
Thanks, but it's hard to follow your dribble if you will.

What is the bottom line?
Headers + High flow cats + catback will wake the car up and make it sounds quite a bit better (subjective). Go with something like the stainless works retro chambered catback if you want a deeper, richer tone and go with something like borla if you want a loud raspy sound.

Your engine is bigger than mine, so this all will make your car sound a little louder and a little meaner than what I have heard from the SS. This means your car will be a little more badass with the same parts. all in all, do it - you will get 1000 compliments just be careful not to buy the loud raspy exhausts if you don't like that kind of stuff
Old 01-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #23
Norris Camaro

What about drone?

What is the best brand?

Any regrets to a full system? Corsa offers a full system-is it free flowing and not too loud?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #24
Hixson

Quote:
What about drone?

What is the best brand?

Any regrets to a full system? Corsa offers a full system-is it free flowing and not too loud?
Any increase in exhaust note will result in some additional drone. I can still carry on a conversation in my car and listen to music, but I can definitely tell I have a modded Camaro. Some brands will drone less than others - ive read that solo, stainless works, some touring catbacks, the NPP exhaust etc are better at no drone than the likes of Borla etc. To be honest I don't know about drone from the z28 - but it will increase some for sure.

Best brand is subjective - everyone likes what they have. I elected to buy American because they typically have the best customer service when you need it. Kooks, Stainless works, American Racing Headers, all of those are great American made products. Most of our forum sponsors here can help you determine best brand in terms of quality and tone, but I think the 3 I listed above are like the consensus "best brand"

No regrets to the full system. However, there is no reason you have to make all the upgrades at once. I upgraded just the catback to start and for just over $1000 that made a huge difference in how much I loved my car. Maybe you could go with a nice catback exhaust and see if you still want more after that. If you get the catback and decide you could still use a little more growl and burble - go with headers and high flow cats. If you decided a catback is all you needed to wake up the exhaust note, then I saved you $1500.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #25
Hixson

Should be noted, a catback might help the car feel a little faster - but it doesn't have much of a performance gain if any. If you want to make the car a little louder AND add some horsepower, there is no better way to do that than headers so you might as well go with the full exhaust option.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #26
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
POSTING AGAIN:

How many here have a full exhaust and are happy?

Do full systems gave cats?

What brand did you buy?

Any regrets?

Thanks in Advance.
You don't need intricate knowledge of 5th gen Z/28 exhaust systems to answer this, but if you want to speak with someone with a lot of experience probably just give JDP Motorsports a call and spend 3 minutes chatting with them.

The stock mufflers on the Z/28 are fine (IMO). They flow just as well as anything else in the aftermarket, and are just as loud. My Z/28 with completely stock exhaust is actually louder than my old C5 Z06 was with longtubes and no cats. I would imagine that some aftermarket mufflers may even be quieter than the stock exhaust. My personal preference is to retain the stock Z/28 mufflers and change everything else (long tubes, cats, x-pipe).

The most popular brands are American Racing and Kooks - both of these companies make high quality exhaust systems using stainless steel. When it comes time for me to purchase a set of headers for my Z/28 I intend to get American Racing, as I have run their exhaust systems on 2 other cars (a C5 Z06 and a 67' Camaro) and was very happy with the fit and finish.

Cats are necessary for a number of reasons, one of which is exhaust odor. If that is something that bothers you, then I recommend you run cats. Both American Racing and Kooks offer exhaust systems with and without high flow cats.

As I said, I do not have longtubes on my Z/28 (yet), but I have had cars with long tubes w/ and w/out cats and would certainly do it again. I'm primarily interested in the performance upgrade, but they do also make the car louder.

Also - you will need a tune to see the maximum benefit of any of these options.

Here are a number of options for you:
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/manufa...g-tube-headers

American Racing 1 7/8" w/ catted x-pipe
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/manufa...8-14178300lswc

Kooks 1 7/8" w/ catted x-pipe:
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/manufa...o-z28-2251h430
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #27
PapaKlutch
IG: @AG1LE_CAMARO

Drives: 2015 SIM Camaro 1LE
2" ARH or Kooks Long System...Not Full. Get the long system with their Hi-Flow cats for less rowdy sound and better smell.

Keep your stock NPP cat back exhaust. Get a 3-way Forza exhaust controller, so you can run NPP in stock mode or always open mode or always closed mode with the push of a button.

Keep the Z/28 Air Intake. Is good for well over 600 rwhp.

Get a street/dyno tune.
PapaKlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #28
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlutch View Post
2" ARH or Kooks Long System...Not Full. Get the long system with their Hi-Flow cats for less rowdy sound and better smell.

Keep your stock NPP cat back exhaust. Get a 3-way Forza exhaust controller, so you can run NPP in stock mode or always open mode or always closed mode with the push of a button.

Keep the Z/28 Air Intake. Is good for well over 600 rwhp.

Get a street/dyno tune.
Is 2" really necessary with stock displacement and without a blower? Most guys I've seen with built up LS7 stick with 1 7/8 until they do strokers or run boost
aris is offline   Reply With Quote