Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Very debateable. All I can say is "you can never change you oil too often"!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Dealer also says you should pay over MSRP for a Camaro.....I caught a catastrophe happening in a 396 I built due to faulty cam bearings, caught it early at the 500 mile non detergent oil change and saved a $3500 build!
________
perfect tits Cam

Last edited by superstockcam; 04-19-2011 at 03:14 AM.
superstockcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Bellringer

Drives: my wife nuts.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertrj View Post
Dealer told me wait til the oil change light comes on
There must be something in the air today. Today I was told the same thing. Well after a while the salesman told me the first oil change is free! Great I said guess I will see you in a week or two....He looked at me kinda funny . Like your serious aren't you? Darn straight I am...

44030 is all mine!

GM
Bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
He would tell you that.
It's how they're trained.

Professional racers, engine-builders, etc recommend you do the first oil change early.
This is to clean out off the fine metal particles collected while the rings seat themselves. After that, you can change your oil according to the Oil Life Monitor, like the dealer said -- and you'll be fine.

Sooch is right -- it won't hurt ANYTHING to change it early. (except maybe your wallet)

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #19
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
You can change your oil every day, and the only thing that would be damaged is the threads on the drain plug. You can let fine particles float around your engine untill the dealer says it is time to change, I prefer not to.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
CTS

Drives: 2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L CC 4WD
Quote:
Cheap insurance & piece of mind! I'm VERY glad I did it around 1200 miles and took out the first batch of metal shavings...
Did Chevrolet forget to put an oil filter on your engine? If there were metal shaving in the oil the filter would remove them.

You can change your oil ever 500 miles but that is not going to make it run any better or last any longer than if you changed it every 5,000 miles.

There is a very good chance the oil you are removing is better even with 5,000 miles on it than the oil you are replacing it with.
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
lcmc

Drives: 1987 IROC Z convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
Did Chevrolet forget to put an oil filter on your engine? If there were metal shaving in the oil the filter would remove them.

You can change your oil ever 500 miles but that is not going to make it run any better or last any longer than if you changed it every 5,000 miles.

There is a very good chance the oil you are removing is better even with 5,000 miles on it than the oil you are replacing it with.
I agree. The filter is there for a reason. Let it do it's job. My dealer and mechanic both said you are wasting money changing it so soon.
lcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
This isn't 1965, oil is better, oil filters are better. Any shavings should end up in the oil filter. I don't get all this talk of shavings on the dipstick and in the oil drained out of the crankcase. Cut your used filter open if you want to see what's going on. I am still undecided on when I will do my first oil change.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
ACDC1710

Drives: 1968 Camaro RS, 2002 Trans AM
Oil is better and filters are better but you still generate a lot of metal during break in. No filter is 100% efficent and particles way smaller than the size of a hair can begin doing damage to your engine. Less than a spoon full of sand can ruin a 55 gallon drum of oil. It doesn't hurt anything to change your oil early for prevention besides the 50 bucks or so for the oil and filter. But it is still all a judgement call on the person. Just make sure you whatever you need to do to not void GM's Warranty. I know for certain I'm gonna pay an extra $10 dollars or so to have my oil sent to an oil lab at every oil change to have for record purpose and for early prevention.
ACDC1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #24
ACDC1710

Drives: 1968 Camaro RS, 2002 Trans AM
Another thing to think about is that oil sold on the shelves is not even considered clean by most engine and machine manufacturers. They want you to kidney loop filter with cleanout filter before you even install in an engine or transmission.
ACDC1710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #25
nassau97

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 97 Vette 91 Vette
You just paid close to 40000 dollars for a new car. Change the oil. Your dealer is an idiot. Clean oil is the cheapest thing you can buy. Yes, oil is better now and so are filters but why take the chance over the cost of an early oil change.
nassau97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
ClutchKargo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I just took mine in today with 530 miles on it. The service advisor was in total agreement with me to change it early. He said if it was his car he'd do the same thing.

He also went on to say that there was some kind of issue on one of the other models in the chevy line up and one of the things they were told to do was encourage people to do an early oil change. I can't remember what model it was but I think it was one of the mid level SUV's.

Bottom line he was in total agreement that it was smart and good insurance to change it early.
ClutchKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #27
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
MY SERVICE REP SAID THE OIL IS CHANGED 3 TIMES BY THE TIME WE RECEIVE THE CAR, THERFORE, THERE IS NO NEED TO CHANGE EARLY. SORRY FOR THE LARGE TYPE.
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post

there are a few threads out here with pictures from people who have changed their oil at ~500 miles or even less with metal shavings in the oil.... not in the filter. oil filters arent 100% perfect. neither is oil. which is why it needs to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmc View Post
I agree. The filter is there for a reason. Let it do it's job. My dealer and mechanic both said you are wasting money changing it so soon.
your dealer probably told you that putting 91 octane in the SS is a waste of money as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post
This isn't 1965, oil is better, oil filters are better. Any shavings should end up in the oil filter. I don't get all this talk of shavings on the dipstick and in the oil drained out of the crankcase. Cut your used filter open if you want to see what's going on. I am still undecided on when I will do my first oil change.
do it around 1500 miles. then reset the OLMS and do it whenever the computer tells you to.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote