Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences Share review & feedback on vendors and sellers

Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #26
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: 2SS/RS black/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
You can afford a $35,000+ SS Camaro but you can't afford a beater car? My daily driver is a little old Chrysler Cirrus that I picked up for $1,000. Going on year number 2 for me with it. When it dies I will get another little beater car.
It's not the cost of a beater, it's having to insure it and rates in my area of the country suck! Trust me, I would've kept my old 95 grand am 3.1 years ago, had USAA given me a break on insuring it, along w/ the car I replaced it with. It only had 85K miles on it too! Then again, w/ any beater, you never know when something might have to get fixed, which is why I keep getting new cars in the first place--peace of mind!
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #27
camaros and vettes
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2008 Corvette
i have the new era otr and have felt some jumping when cold and warm. at idle and at speed going down the road. i haven't really thought much about it. i figured it had to do with the maf sensor.
camaros and vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #28
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
It's not the cost of a beater, it's having to insure it and rates in my area of the country suck! Trust me, I would've kept my old 95 grand am 3.1 years ago, had USAA given me a break on insuring it, along w/ the car I replaced it with. It only had 85K miles on it too! Then again, w/ any beater, you never know when something might have to get fixed, which is why I keep getting new cars in the first place--peace of mind!
Hrmm, I guess I can't complain about my rates then. My cars are all about $650-$750 a year including full collision ($500 deductable). I take my black Z28 off of the road, but I keep my blue one on the road, and of course my little beater car.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #29
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
I have had my car in for the warranty work TSB and there were no problems

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #30
ssmike
BLACK is the new Chrome!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHURRY View Post
What do yall mean by bucking?...Also, If I am not planning on a tune(cause
of warranty) should I stay away from OTR intakes?
Bucking is an engine hesitation that occurs at steady cruising speeds with very light throttle and especially when letting off on the accelerator to maintain speed. This seems to occur mainly on LS3's with the stock intake when cold but clears up when warmed up. With the New Era installed on my car the "bucking" occurred even after the engine was warmed up. Bucking is also refered to on other threads as "herky jerkies".
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #31
ssmike
BLACK is the new Chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
2 people have supposedly had this issue, one of which is for the most part an issue with his car and not the intake because it was tested on one other camaro, and then resold to another customer that has a camaro as well in which neither car had any issue bucking. A tune should be something considered with any performance part install in my opinion to optimize it, no 2 cars run exactly the same really, which is why a tune will efficiently dial it in for the mods installed, or even in stock condition believe it or not.

Vector has installed (I believe) 7 of our OTR intakes and tuned them now, so that isn't such a bad idea as either.
2? I can count 4 just between this thread and the other New Era thread including myself, FLdrummer, Camaros and Vettes, and Miketebo22. Add to that another 2 that I know of who want to remain anonymous. Do the math, that makes 6 that I know of. Also, this phenomenon is NOT imagined as you elude to by saying "supposedly". I ackowledge that many others have no issues at all and that's great but don't pretend that there is no problem and blow it off to a couple loonies who don't know what they're talking about.

I took your suggestion and followed your lead short of getting a tune. I told you straight up that I didn't want a tune even though you suggested to get one. When I baught it you said it wasn't necesary but a tune would help performance. You told me to have my dealership check out my car which I did, twice. The second time I even had a conversation with Al Oppenheiser, GM Vehicle Chief Engineer, about it and he had my dealership do a complete ECM check, all was found normal, fuel trims, MAF, the whole works, NTF!

I don't know why your intake works on some and not others. I DO know , however, that I'm not alone and there is something about OTR intakes on LS3's that causes this problem. Ask 2SSRS about his beta Vararam, he'll tell you, he has the same problem. They are working on resolving it with some kind of blow off valve. This could be why they have been delayed so long, at least they have acknowleged the problem and are working on it! Maybe you should sell yours as a "tune only" intake for drag racing, I don't know. For everyday drivers like me or Fldrummer this intake just is not the right one IMO. I really do like the fit and finish and looks, that's why it took me 6 weeks to return it, I was trying everything I could to figure it out but I just couldn't take the loss of drivability any more!

Bt the way, I just installed a Roto-Fab and guess what, NO HERKY JERKIES, no bucking, in fact it even runs smoother when cold! Wow how do you explain that? It also accelerates just as good as yours except maybe after 70 mph. Maybe it's perfection in MAF placement or just a great design but I'm happy now!

Last edited by ssmike; 10-08-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #32
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

My car has NO, NO NO NO NO NO herky jerky BS or anything else. When you go for a RAM AIR intake(which this is) you will have this. When going slow, the air in the tube pressurizes, like the air stands still. A blow off valve would likely help this, uh or a tune. Like I said, NO ISSUES!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #33
ssmike
BLACK is the new Chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
My car has NO, NO NO NO NO NO herky jerky BS or anything else. When you go for a RAM AIR intake(which this is) you will have this. When going slow, the air in the tube pressurizes, like the air stands still. A blow off valve would likely help this, uh or a tune. Like I said, NO ISSUES!

I absolutly agree and that's why I returned mine till I'm ready for a tune or Mike can resolve it with a valve of some sort. I just wish Mike would acknowlege what you have stated! Thanks!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #34
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

It is odd how some people have this issue, I had a herky jerky type thing with the factory tune and my LMR. Since the tune I have had nothing but success!