Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
jdpickering
 
Drives: 99 Monte Carlo Z34
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 67
Camaro SS Launch Control

It is said that the SS Camaro with the Manual Transmission will have Launch Control. How will this work? Everything I've seen on launch control is targeted toward Automatics wth pattle Shifters. You put the car in launch mode rev the motor and let off the break. It turns town Traction Control put the computer to allow the car to max out RPM's before shifting and just optimizes the shift points. Well it can't do all this on a Manual because you control the shift points and you control the clutch so what do they mean the SS Manual will have launch control?
jdpickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
av8r
DV8 Racing founder
 
Drives: Black 2SS RS ETA march 09!!!
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Duluth MN
Posts: 51
Ill bet you it will have some cool features. I think the Cobalt SS TC has both launch control and no lift shift.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
1973z-man
 
1973z-man's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Chevrolet Suburban
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
Ill bet you it will have some cool features. I think the Cobalt SS TC has both launch control and no lift shift.
Launch control and no lift shift....sounds like what we used on the drag strip 30+ years ago except it was holding the brake down while mashing the gas peddle with an auto, and speed shifting with a manual.

When speed shifting a manual you do not lift, you nail the clutch fast and yank it hard through the gears. You better be good and you better be fast or you'll be taking your crankshaft home in the trunk. But, if you were good and fast you were just about unbeatable.

Launch control and no lift shift....I like it!!
1973z-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
jmliptak
 
Drives: D
Join Date: May 2008
Location: D
Posts: 373
Same idea but now done for you with computers, must take some of the fun out doing it well...
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,164
Powershifting is dangerous, and sounds like a lot of fun while it's under warranty. =P

"Tach it up! Tach it up! Buddy, gonna shut you dooooooooown!"
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,650
If I remember the way it works on the Cobalt SS, you can hold the gas to the floor in every gear without letting up to shift. When you stomp the clutch, it holds the revs right where they are when you stomp the clutch for a second or two while you shift.

Without it, you'd either bounce the rev limiter, or as 1973z-man said, carry your crankshaft as you walk home.
__________________
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Craig
 
Drives: '01 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 173
I don't care what it's got so long as it's defeatable.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I don't care what it's got so long as it's defeatable.
but what if its beneficial to those who dont know how to double clutch?
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
gunslinger
 
Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 254
I too would will want to be able to defeat it.

I want to drive my car, not have some computer do it for me.

If everyone used this "launch control" how could we ever be expected to learn to to actually launch a high HP car.

Granted it will be great for those impromptu light-to-light races on the street, but for someone trying to "learn" their car, computer nanny's will only hurt them...unless it is defeatable.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Will it be holding the gas and break down at the same time for the auto???
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I too would will want to be able to defeat it.

I want to drive my car, not have some computer do it for me.

If everyone used this "launch control" how could we ever be expected to learn to to actually launch a high HP car.

Granted it will be great for those impromptu light-to-light races on the street, but for someone trying to "learn" their car, computer nanny's will only hurt them...unless it is defeatable.
cus you dont have to launch at redline if you know what you are doing. too many people just redline the **** out of their cars and dump the clutch. really good way to jack up your drive train. if we can get a full dyno sheet on these cars and see where the tq curve lies, then find the right rpm to dump it at.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
o2camaross
 
o2camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Driving
Posts: 362
well with any production/stock gen III/IV motor the peak torque should be between 4,000-4,600. I KNOW there is no way with stock tires you can launch it at that rpm and expect anything more than just boiloing the tires. Not to mention hurting the drivetrain. i will start launnching it at 2,000 rpm and be moving up in 200 rpm incriments. im really curious as to how this launch control is supposed to work
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
Usually MT, C&D, Edmunds, etc will publish what they found to be the ideal launch revs. With launch control the computer is programmed to hold revs at what GM's engineers found to be ideal launch revs. The feature was pretty well regarded in all reviews I've read of the new Cobalt SS.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,179
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2camaross View Post
well with any production/stock gen III/IV motor the peak torque should be between 4,000-4,600. I KNOW there is no way with stock tires you can launch it at that rpm and expect anything more than just boiloing the tires. Not to mention hurting the drivetrain. i will start launnching it at 2,000 rpm and be moving up in 200 rpm incriments. im really curious as to how this launch control is supposed to work
That's a really great way to test it. Try it at a track to get some time comparisons.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
SSideways
 
SSideways's Avatar
 
Drives: 99 Chevy Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
If I remember the way it works on the Cobalt SS, you can hold the gas to the floor in every gear without letting up to shift. When you stomp the clutch, it holds the revs right where they are when you stomp the clutch for a second or two while you shift.

Without it, you'd either bounce the rev limiter, or as 1973z-man said, carry your crankshaft as you walk home.
I just finished reading the new car and driver. This is exactly how they described the "no lift shift" feature. As for the launch control on the manual... "The engine computer limits revs and fiesses the throttle for traction after the clutch dump."
SSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
topgun1

 
topgun1's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 1,944
It's been my experience in manuals to launch at about 2500 rpm and then dump the clutch. After alot of runs in the Acura, that was about the best engine speed I found to launch from. Of course, it will vary somewhat from car to car, but yes, launching from redline is a disaster waiting to happen.
__________________
5th Gen Camaros of the Carolinas SIM, 2SS/RS LS3 5/7/11 453.9 RWHP 427.5 RWTQ
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #17
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
It's been my experience in manuals to launch at about 2500 rpm and then dump the clutch. After alot of runs in the Acura, that was about the best engine speed I found to launch from. Of course, it will vary somewhat from car to car, but yes, launching from redline is a disaster waiting to happen.
if your drivetrain can handle it then you can do it. seen a lot of racers around here launch at that high and some built up the drivetrain some didn't. the one's that didn't blew something up. lol.

my experience with the camaro 3200-3500 was pretty good and not dumping the clutch but quickly and smoothly releasing it. . .but it's so fast that it almost feels like a dump.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #18
o2camaross
 
o2camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Driving
Posts: 362
^ yea after i did all my mods to my 2002 SS i was launching at 4000 rpm, i was prolly pushing that weak little 10 bolt to it max but i didnt have the car long enough to break, it. it was stolen in january and im building another garage for my baby.
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2camaross View Post
^ yea after i did all my mods to my 2002 SS i was launching at 4000 rpm, i was prolly pushing that weak little 10 bolt to it max but i didnt have the car long enough to break, it. it was stolen in january and im building another garage for my baby.
there was a guy here that put hoosier slicks on his 10 bolt and was saying he was going to drop the clutch at 5000 rpms. he also had cam+tune and bolt ons. he was lucky nothing happened to his rear end.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
SoFlaZ

 
SoFlaZ's Avatar
 
Drives: Nothing special :-(
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 940
I think it does what most you say, limit the revs after the launch so there is minimal wheelspin. OR I think it realizes when you are holding the clutch and have it sitting in 1st, when you rev it, it wont go past a certain rpm. I think it is the first idea though.

Launch control would have been great on the vette's because my last time at the drag strip, a guy with a spankin new LS3 with the paper dealer tag still on it was there and almost lost to a new tundra(had a 100 shot) because he dumped the clutch so hard he spun and barely moved till he shifted to 2nd by the light tree. Some people need these nannies because they get too excited or something. I would like it to help me get better at launching until I can do it as good as the comp can.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #21
o2camaross
 
o2camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Driving
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
there was a guy here that put hoosier slicks on his 10 bolt and was saying he was going to drop the clutch at 5000 rpms. he also had cam+tune and bolt ons. he was lucky nothing happened to his rear end.
yea he would deffinetly be asking for it. i had a cam ls7 clutch and nitto drag radials and i was pushing it. I maiss that car sooo much
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
ckellyme3
 
ckellyme3's Avatar
 
Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: exton pa
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpickering View Post
It is said that the SS Camaro with the Manual Transmission will have Launch Control. How will this work? Everything I've seen on launch control is targeted toward Automatics wth pattle Shifters. You put the car in launch mode rev the motor and let off the break. It turns town Traction Control put the computer to allow the car to max out RPM's before shifting and just optimizes the shift points. Well it can't do all this on a Manual because you control the shift points and you control the clutch so what do they mean the SS Manual will have launch control?
You are badly misinformed. Launch control works in manual transmissions only. You simply select it (in the Cobolt SS and HHR SS) by hitting the traction control button twice, once to turn off the tracton control and the second time to turn on launch control. When you put it in 1st gear while holding the clutch in, you floor it and the RPM will stay right at the redline. When u release the clutch you take off perfectly. It takes all the guess work out of getting a perfect launch hence launch control and im almost positive no automatic cars have it but i could be wrong.
ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #23
theholycow


 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: RI
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
You are badly misinformed. Launch control works in manual transmissions only.
Not necessarily true. Maybe the Cobalt's "Launch Control" feature works like that, though it doesn't sound like it'd make a perfect launch at all; it sounds like all you'd do is burn off your tires. Anyway, without it, a modern car isn't going to go past redline anyway, but it might do a more sudden fuel cut resulting in "bouncing off the rev limiter" rather than smoothly holding redline.

The VW GTI with their DSG dual-clutch automated manual transmission (they don't offer a traditional "slushbox" automatic) has a "Launch Control" feature that allows the driver to launch like a high-RPM clutch dump even though there's no clutch pedal. That's what I thought of when I heard of "Launch Control" in the Camaro.

Who needs a computer to baby them for launching a manual transmission?
__________________
Removing weight has surprisingly little effect on fuel economy
Engine break-in procedure | Gear ratios
2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 (190,000 miles and going strong)
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #24
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon
 
greenrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,396
Gee, when I was young we didn't touch the clutch pedal when power shifting!!!

And By the way - It is "Pedal" not "Pettle"

And it is "Brake" not "Break".... You brake with your foot, you break when you wreck your car.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Gee, when I was young we didn't touch the clutch pedal when power shifting!!!

And By the way - It is "Pedal" not "Pettle"

And it is "Brake" not "Break".... You brake with your foot, you break when you wreck your car.
Actually for what he was trying to say it was paddle not pedal or pettle.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Laws ChevyNut Off-topic Discussions 102 06-06-2011 10:34 PM
I'm really disappointed from the camaro lap time in Nurburgring!!! _GTO_ 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 84 11-30-2009 09:12 PM
CNN: Camaro: From sketchpad to street - The rebirth of a muscle car ... Gatecrasher 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 49 10-05-2009 03:33 PM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 04:38 PM
Camaro home page is up @chevy.com!!! Engine Specs and Official Colors! ChrisL 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 66 07-22-2008 12:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.