Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,306
Buying the Camaro from factory/ Anti gouging

There are two topics to this thread

Is it possible to buy a camaro straight out of the factory at MSRP or maybe lower at a dealer price?

Is there anything we can do to stop gouging
__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,413
No. You can not buy from the factory.

The only way to get a lower price is to shop around or have a discount (and there are many).

Yes...we can stop the gouging. We just don't buy and hold off until they are FORCED to lower their prices.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Sierra

 
Sierra's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 1,052
Yes but its such a sweet car. It sucks to wait. Who am I kidding I am waiting.
__________________
On the 8th day God created the Camaro and all is good.
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
EllwynX


 
EllwynX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,260
I checked out a black Challenger SRT8 the other day at a local dealer. I have to admit, in person it's a GREAT looking vehicle. Much better than in pics.

The MSRP was about $42,000. But next to that sticker the dealer had added another one with the MSRP + 'ADMU' of $15,000.

And that was just the one they had left. The guy said they'd already sold the orange one.

That let me know I'd never buy from that dealership in the future...

What can I say other than 'a fool and his money...'
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,306
unless GM flood the market with maros from the bat, there are going to be gouging everywere
__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,650
It's been discussed countless times - there are federal franchise laws in the United States that prohibit you from being able to buy a car directly from the manufacturer. I dissagree with them, but they are laws and there's nothing we can do about it.

What we can all do, as one big Camaro family, is each and every one of us refuse to pay a dime over sticker for even a fully loaded SS in the most rare of colors. Of course, there are those with more money than brains, and they will ruin it for the rest of us - unless you find a dealer that will NOT gouge, and there are a few out there. Two of them have associates who post on this forum regularly.

Do your homework, be patient, and we'll all be allright.
__________________
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,193
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Odds are the laws are the same in Canada. I'd love to be able to pick it up at the factory though. I can dream . . .

As far as stopping the gouging, post said stealerships in the appropriate the gouging thread, and if you happen to find a good dealership that sells at or below msrp, post that too. Not a whole lot we can do except give bad dealers bad names.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
garagelogic
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,687
Keep dreaming. The fact of the matter is there are more people willing and able to buy a Camaro at MRSP or more the minute they become available. In today's "I gotta have it and I gotta have it now" society, it would be a downright miracle if you could get more than a few hundred people to hold out on buying a Camaro.

It happened with the Mustang GT when the S197 platform became available, it happened with the Z06 Corvette, the Challenger, the GT500, the GTR, etc. Somehow I get the feeling that most of the people who are complaining the most about what it is going to take to get into one of these cars when they are first released probably would be getting in over their head financially even if they were able to get it for under MSRP.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard
 
80Zedder's Avatar
 
Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in the vault
Posts: 547
Actually boys, you can buy directly from the Factory, at deep discounted prices. You just have to work there to get into the employee garage ;O)
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
It's been discussed countless times - there are federal franchise laws in the United States that prohibit you from being able to buy a car directly from the manufacturer. I dissagree with them, but they are laws and there's nothing we can do about it.

What we can all do, as one big Camaro family, is each and every one of us refuse to pay a dime over sticker for even a fully loaded SS in the most rare of colors. Of course, there are those with more money than brains, and they will ruin it for the rest of us - unless you find a dealer that will NOT gouge, and there are a few out there. Two of them have associates who post on this forum regularly.

Do your homework, be patient, and we'll all be allright.
Well, GM doesn't have to let those contracts renew to those franchises that gouge and problem solved.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
69copo
Sorry officer
 
69copo's Avatar
 
Drives: CTS/V 2SS/RS Collector
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland OH
Posts: 115
Send a message via Yahoo to 69copo
Factory Delivery??

Does anyone know of or heard anything about factory delivery? I think that would be a great experience to go get a camaro right of the line. They do it for the Vett. Any ideas F-Bod?
__________________
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.
69copo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me
 
GothamCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NW Gotham, IL
Posts: 1,599
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5661
__________________
Own- "Does it come in Black?" Exterior/ Grey Interior 2LT/RS Automatic
_____________________________________
The Batman would only drive a 2010 Camaro and buy from Camaro Scotty. 'Nuff said.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Do they gouge on Saturns with their pricing structure?

Factory delivery and bypassing the gouging dealers? AWESOME!

They could set a new standard way of doing business!

Cut out the middle-man!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Do they gouge on Saturns with their pricing structure?
No.

When the Solstice came out, people were paying 5-7k over sticker at Pontiac dealers.

Then the Sky came out (which the better looking of the two IMO), and someone I used to work with was one of the first people to get on the ordering list. He ordered a RedLine manual trans. in metallic blue with black interior, and ordered the options exactly how he wanted them. The car came in and he paid not a dime over sticker, no haggling, no discussions.

To me, the folks who paid over sticker for the Solstice were fools and deserved to loose all their money.

I wouldn't have a problem paying sticker if GM moved to make their entire dealer network, in all divisions (Saturn, Cadillac, Chevy, BPG, Saab) 100% no haggle, pay whats on the window.
__________________
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
stovt001


 
stovt001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Keep dreaming. The fact of the matter is there are more people willing and able to buy a Camaro at MRSP or more the minute they become available. In today's "I gotta have it and I gotta have it now" society, it would be a downright miracle if you could get more than a few hundred people to hold out on buying a Camaro.

It happened with the Mustang GT when the S197 platform became available, it happened with the Z06 Corvette, the Challenger, the GT500, the GTR, etc. Somehow I get the feeling that most of the people who are complaining the most about what it is going to take to get into one of these cars when they are first released probably would be getting in over their head financially even if they were able to get it for under MSRP.
I hate to say it but he's mostly right. Of course there will be some dealerships that don't do markups just as a customer good will offer, but for any other dealership, they'll find no shortage of people who have to be satisfied RIGHT NOW and will pay any price for that. Its people like that, who have more desire than financial sense, that are the reason we're in this economic funk today. Sigh.
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
The Great KJ
The Great KJ
 
The Great KJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Longmont Colorado
Posts: 478
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
Pricing

I like the idea of posting dealers who do not mark the prices up on the new Camaro. It would be well worth my money to travel several hundred miles or more just to avoid $10,000 mark ups. It could work like this. If you want to purchase a Shelby Mustang at Forby Ford in Dacono Colorado you will have a base of $50,000 and a dealer mark up of $10,000 more. Not that I'm ever going to buy a Ford, and I'm not! But screw them!!!

KJ
__________________
Former Cars - 1980 Z28 / 1987 IROC-Z / 1991 Z28
The Great KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cedarburg, WI
Posts: 6,805
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great KJ View Post
I like the idea of posting dealers who do not mark the prices up on the new Camaro. It would be well worth my money to travel several hundred miles or more just to avoid $10,000 mark ups. It could work like this. If you want to purchase a Shelby Mustang at Forby Ford in Dacono Colorado you will have a base of $50,000 and a dealer mark up of $10,000 more. Not that I'm ever going to buy a Ford, and I'm not! But screw them!!!

KJ


DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!

Buy from an MSRP or LESS dealer, and have the car DELIVERED FROM THE FACTORY to a LOCAL dealer. simple. easy.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
playhard67
come to poppa
 
playhard67's Avatar
 
Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,864
I signed up with a dealer six months ago and was told they never do markups..... two weeks ago I checked where I was on their "list" (4th) and then reconfirmed they would not markup. Well, I guess the story has changed and they would not commit to no markup.

I'm now 2nd on the list with a dealer 150 miles away in the same state, where I received confirmation from the Owner of the Dealership and the Sales Manager that they will never markup any car. I'll be buying from them.
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #19
littlecammi
 
littlecammi's Avatar
 
Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 614
Times are tough for U.S. carmakers. Times are very tough for the dealerships trying to sell those cars, too. One way dealerships can make up a little for slow sales is to sell cars above MSRP when demand exceeds supply. This usually only happens when new (or newly redesigned) specialty models are released. How long demand exceeds supply depends on how much the manufacturer limits production. Cars with artificially limited production (such as the Shelby GT500, Nissan Skyline GT-R, 2008 Challenger SRT8) can continue to command "market pricing" of more than MSRP for up to a year or more. Cars without limited production status (like the '05 Mustang GT, Pontiac Solstice, Ford Thunderbird, Toyota Prius) can only do so until production output catches up with demand.

The 2010 Camaro will not be a limited production vehicle. But many dealers will sell for over MSRP until supply catches up with demand. Camaro V6 production is intended to outnumber Camaro V8 production (just like it has year after year with the Ford Mustang). V6 Camaro production should catch up with demand fairly quickly. Most V6 buyers are not Camaro fanatics and would buy a different vehicle rather than pay anything over MSRP. But most of the people posting on this site want the SS V8 Camaro, which is more likely to command more than sticker. Allocations to each dealer for SS Camaros will be few and far between for the first few months at least. Many dealers eager to secure sales will take "orders" knowing that it may be months before they get enough allocations to even place the V8 Camaros on order with Chevrolet. This happened to buyers of the '05 Mustang GT. If 90% of the advance orders placed with dealers are for SS model Camaros, GM will not halt V6 production in order to immediately build lots of V8 Camaros.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #20
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard
 
80Zedder's Avatar
 
Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in the vault
Posts: 547
no they wont halt v6 production, they will schedule overtime and pay us well to crank out more V8's. Odds are they have already alotted production times for a V8 outcry. i dont think the general is gonna sit on his butt with this one.
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
 
JEFF2010SSMANUAL's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 1,953
When will enough SS Camaro's be available on lots? And at sticker price?

May 1 09, June 1,09, July 1,09 ???

I want to buy one June 1, 09.

I also want white which won't be available until July 1, 09.

Will white possably be available in June?
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
When will enough SS Camaro's be available on lots? And at sticker price?

May 1 09, June 1,09, July 1,09 ???

I want to buy one June 1, 09.

I also want white which won't be available until July 1, 09.

Will white possably be available in June?
I suspect before may seeing how their goal is 80-100 000 cars a year. but only time will tell.

where did you hear white wouldn't be available until july? white's an extremely popular color. . .kinda funny if they aren't on the top on the list
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
 
JEFF2010SSMANUAL's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I suspect before may seeing how their goal is 80-100 000 cars a year. but only time will tell.

where did you hear white wouldn't be available until july? white's an extremely popular color. . .kinda funny if they aren't on the top on the list
On the official Camaro website. White won't be available until July 09.

I want white or orange with black stripes, but don't want to wait until July 09. I want to buy a loaded SS manual around May 09 and June 1 09 at the latest. I HOPE white is available sooner then July. I think orange will be TOO popular, plus MANY Challenger SRT8's will be orange.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #24
smike07
 
smike07's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 220
If you have a Costco near you, get a card and buy it through their vehicle incentive program. Basically, they do all the work in contacting a dealership with the best priced car, typically, below MSRP! You'll likely have to wait anywhere from a week to a couple of months, but if you're a serious buyer, you'll get exactly what you want for a fair price.
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 18,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
I signed up with a dealer six months ago and was told they never do markups..... two weeks ago I checked where I was on their "list" (4th) and then reconfirmed they would not markup. Well, I guess the story has changed and they would not commit to no markup.

I'm now 2nd on the list with a dealer 150 miles away in the same state, where I received confirmation from the Owner of the Dealership and the Sales Manager that they will never markup any car. I'll be buying from them.
Did you get it in writing? I got that on my Sky when I ordered my first one, otherwise it is just his word against yours....
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price gouging on 2010 Camaro already beginning! Tran Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 185 09-02-2009 01:33 AM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 05:38 PM
Who's buying a Camaro in the first six months of release? JaysonAych 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 62 07-27-2008 10:44 PM
URGENT: CAMARO ANNOUNCEMENT Mr. Wyndham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 194 07-21-2008 04:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.