Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #15
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I've been surprised at the popularity of the LT1. I didn't think people would choose a brand new stripped V8 Camaro over a used SS, but I'm seeing them all over the place around me. I actually saw one with a sunroof, which I was surprised would be offered on a cheap model.
My buddy just bought a white 2021 Lt1. Sun roof ...Brembos on the front ..10 speed. Nice car...another buddy bought a 2021 1le 10 speed in the fall...add that to a 3rd friend buying a Hellcat last Oct and my 2011 wilk be working hard at the track this year. Will be interesting to see the result when the 1le and Lt1 square off.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #16
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I've been surprised at the popularity of the LT1. I didn't think people would choose a brand new stripped V8 Camaro over a used SS, but I'm seeing them all over the place around me. I actually saw one with a sunroof, which I was surprised would be offered on a cheap model.
Please allow me to reminisce / explain to younger folks what stripped down was and why it's not as much a hardship nowdays.

In the 60's 70's and into 80s when you bought a "stripped down" vehicle it had:
- Manual drum brakes, not power disc brakes
this meant less stopping power and you had to push the pedal harder to stop
-- Later into 2000's no anti lock braking feature, now all those are standard

- No power steering
You had to turn the wheel with much effort if the car wasn't moving
- No power windows or door locks
- Steel wheels with a "dog dish" hubcap, it wasn't until the 70s that alloy stylish wheels became an option, (not talking about chrome wire spoke wheels which were uncommon.)
- No radio AT ALL, let alone some 15 speaker system with big touch screen, AM only then FM stereo upgrade, then 8track then cassette then CD, then satellite radio subscription,now MP3 on usb, and latest bluetooth to your smartphone

- No airconditioning
- No remote release for the trunk or gas cap
- 3 speed manual transmission with shifter on the steering column "3 on the tree" (yeah I had a Nova with one)
- Very basic gauges with no tachometer, outside temperature, clock, oil pressure or temp, voltage, nothing...spedometer and fuel guage were about it
- No automatic headlights or rearview mirror
- No power side mirrors
- Seat adjusting options limited. No reclining even.
Then movement in more directions and power to do it, lumbar support, even massaging, heated-cooled.
-No airbags or safety things, stabilitrac etc
With some time you might think of more things to add. This could almost be a game with old car guys, take turns naming something that was an $ option, wasn't "cigarette lighter" now called 12volt power port an option, along with passenger side rear view mirror. The young guys would come up with USB ports and wireless smartphone charging..

The LT1 has all the upgrades like that, and only missing some high end things like Heads Up Display, leather interior, bigger wheels (it has brembo's but IIRC smaller ones than top end) a high 455hp V8, and the list goes on.
LT1 doesn't have the magnetic ride control and that is nice to have IF you don't have to pay to replace the $$ struts when they start leaking so I'm not sure if it's an asset or liability.

I get your point and buying used with more features but wouldn't it be a 2SS or ZL1 to do that as a package?
If horsepower is your #1 consideration, as it is mine for this spot in the garage, then there are either cheaper options used and or Mod'd, or more expensive new cars, C8 or ZL1.

I did most recently buy a high optioned used SUV for the other family car so I agree it can be a better value but for someone seeking brand new, warranteed 455hp car it's a good choice.

Last edited by silversleeper; 04-08-2021 at 11:21 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #17
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Please allow me to reminisce / explain to younger folks what stripped down was and why it's not as much a hardship nowdays.

- Manual drum brakes, not power disc brakes
this meant less stopping power and you had to push the pedal harder to stop
-- Later into 2000's no anti lock braking feature, now all those are standard

- No power steering
You had to turn the wheel with much effort if the car wasn't moving
- No power windows or door locks
- Steel wheels with a "dog dish" hubcap, it wasn't until the 70s that alloy stylish wheels became an option, (not talking about chrome wire spoke wheels which were uncommon.)
- No radio AT ALL, let alone some 15 speaker system with big touch screen, AM only then FM stereo upgrade, then 8track then cassette then CD, then satellite radio subscription,now MP3 on usb, and latest bluetooth to your smartphone

- No airconditioning
- No remote release for the trunk or gas cap
- 3 speed manual transmission with shifter on the steering column "3 on the tree" (yeah I had a Nova with one)
- Very basic gauges with no tachometer, outside temperature, clock, oil pressure or temp, voltage, nothing...spedometer and fuel guage were about it
- No automatic headlights or rearview mirror
- No power side mirrors
- Seat adjusting options limited. No reclining even.
Then movement in more directions and power to do it, lumbar support, even massaging, heated-cooled.
-No airbags or safety things, stabilitrac etc
With some time you might think of more things to add. This could almost be a game with old car guys, take turns naming something that was an $ option, wasn't "cigarette lighter" now called 12volt power port an option, along with passenger side rear view mirror. The young guys would come up with USB ports and wireless smartphone charging..

The LT1 has all the upgrades like that, and only missing some high end things like Heads Up Display, leather interior, bigger wheels (it has brembo's but IIRC smaller ones than top end) a high 455hp V8, and the list goes on.
LT1 doesn't have the magnetic ride control and that is nice to have IF you don't have to pay to replace the $$ struts when they start leaking so I'm not sure if it's an asset or liability.

I get your point and buying used with more features but wouldn't it be a 2SS or ZL1 to do that as a package?
If horsepower is your #1 consideration, as it is mine for this spot in the garage, then there are either cheaper options used and or Mod'd, or more expensive new cars, C8 or ZL1.

I did most recently buy a high optioned used SUV for the other family car so I agree it can be a better value but for someone seeking brand new, warranteed 455hp car it's a good choice.
I will be seeing the Lt1 in person on Sat. Curious to see how it drives and handles without those options.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #18
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Thanks for a great trip down memory lane! My first car (high school) was a 72 Pontiac Catalina. Kind of a luxury car really, had a 400ci small block V8 that probably made half the horsepower that my V6 Camaro does. Bought it for $700, sold it three years later for $400. To your point:

- Manual drum brakes, not power disc brakes Yup, drums in back, discs in front
- No power steering Had this as a luxury car
- No power windows or door locks Yup, got good at winding them up or down fast
- No radio AT ALL AM radio which I quickly replaced with an AM/FM Auto Reverse Cassette, 6x9s in the back, 5 1/4 in the doors and two power boosters (one with equalizer).
- No airconditioning I had this luxury
- No remote release for the trunk or gas cap The old GM sedans had that spring loaded license plate that you’d bend down and the gas cap was underneath
- 3 speed manual transmission with shifter on the steering column "3 on the tree" (yeah I had a Nova with one) I had the luxury auto
- Very basic gauges with no tachometer, outside temperature, clock, oil pressure or temp, voltage, nothing...spedometer and fuel guage were about it Had the old GM “bar style” speedo that went across most of the instrument cluster
- No automatic headlights or rearview mirror Had the button for the brights under your left foot if that counts!
- No power side mirrors Pretty sure I only had a driver side mirror, manual of course
- Seat adjusting options limited. No reclining even. Had the big bench seat with the wire operated handle that you could slide the seat up and back. If someone was with you in the front seat, you had to coordinate your efforts or it wouldn’t catch on both sides
-No airbags or safety things, stabilitrac etc It had lap belts and then you were supposed to unfold the shoulder belts from the headliner each time and fold them back up when done. Of course we never did.

Last edited by KenKat; 04-09-2021 at 07:48 AM.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:25 PM   #19
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
- No power windows or door locks Yup, got good at winding them up or down fast
until that knob broke off it
After a few years of half turning it by the arm, right before selling it, you realize the crank is held on by a simple clip, is almost universal with millions of junkyard cars, and can be replaced for a buck or two...now why didn't I know that before..
Yes file that in the useless knowledge these days bucket Right there next to how to file the points under the distributer cap.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:10 AM   #20
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Did he get the 1LE package with it? Not arguing that there’s not lots of fun to be had with any of the power options on the Camaro, just that people trying to keep cost down would likely go for the LT1 over a turbo 4 or V6 with 1LE package.
No my son got the got the LS model. But it has some good options on it like mobile hot spot with wifi, big touch screen that connects to your phone for google maps, he uses Spotify for the radio, and the car has sport and touring mode just to name a few. As far as power like I said it's surprising quick for a four cylinder and he gets 30 + mpg I think a lot of it has to do with the eight speed transmission. He also has his eye on some easy bolt on mods that will get him well over 400 horsepower. I think he got it for around $26,000 so not to bad of a deal.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #21
KenKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
No my son got the got the LS model. But it has some good options on it like mobile hot spot with wifi, big touch screen that connects to your phone for google maps, he uses Spotify for the radio, and the car has sport and touring mode just to name a few. As far as power like I said it's surprising quick for a four cylinder and he gets 30 + mpg I think a lot of it has to do with the eight speed transmission. He also has his eye on some easy bolt on mods that will get him well over 400 horsepower. I think he got it for around $26,000 so not to bad of a deal.
It’s a ton of performance for that price point!
Old 04-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #22
KenKat

Quote:
until that knob broke off it
After a few years of half turning it by the arm, right before selling it, you realize the crank is held on by a simple clip, is almost universal with millions of junkyard cars, and can be replaced for a buck or two...now why didn't I know that before..
Yes file that in the useless knowledge these days bucket Right there next to how to file the points under the distributer cap.
Lol - they sure were a lot simpler to work on back then
Old 04-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #23
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Makes sense to me, too.

The V6 and turbo 4 Camaro have this stupid fascia which obstructs access to a tow hook receiver.

Why build a track-purposed car that makes it difficult to install a tow hook, required at most tracks? Near as I can tell, you would have to cut a big fat hole through the non-SS fascia to attach a tow hook.

GM could have built an appealing 1LE with fewer than 8 cylinders, but they didn't.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote