Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
Not sure how the LLT is going to play out with FI... but one thing that also has me wondering besides the tuning is the fuel system... When you are talking about 100+ RWHP gains you usually have to upgrade the fuel system, in some form or another... wondering what the stock fuel system can handle..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
brAnd7onX

 
brAnd7onX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS IOM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 1,552
I would say if it's any higher than $5k then your not going to sell many. Most people who buy the V6 like myself are buying it because we can't afford the V8 so how could we afford the turbo?
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Teamturbo
 
Teamturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1973 Z28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 34
Send a message via AIM to Teamturbo
I saw a thread regarding the STS kits and they are projecting a much higher cost and seem to have maintained quite a bit of interest. The price will directly depend on how much it costs us to build. We aren't a greedy company, we just want to provide a quality product to our customers for a fair price.

We will be upgrading the fuel system without a doubt.
Teamturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamturbo View Post
I saw a thread regarding the STS kits and they are projecting a much higher cost and seem to have maintained quite a bit of interest. The price will directly depend on how much it costs us to build. We aren't a greedy company, we just want to provide a quality product to our customers for a fair price.

We will be upgrading the fuel system without a doubt.
Haven't seen the STS V6 thread.... i go take a peek... LOL!

Curious on the "how" of the fuel upgrade... was watching the Fuel pressure today... 600 PSI at idle... 1250 PSI cruising... 1800 PSI under some what aggressive acceleration... LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
lawdogg149
 
lawdogg149's Avatar
 
Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calhoun, GA
Posts: 740
Well folks I have a V-8 turbo camaro and have to say I love it. If you have never driven a turbo car you are missing out. Great thing about turbos are they are only there when you need it. Press the pedal wham its there. Drive normal no difference except I went from 23 mpg to 27 mpg driven on the same stretch of road 650 miles. As far as upgrading fuel system. I went from 425 hp to 728 hp and 610 rwhp with only injectors and tune change with my turbo. Oh yea we added a KB boost pump too. Once you go Turbo you never go back.

Good job guys there are alot of V-6 guys looking for this you will do well.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
Teamturbo
 
Teamturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1973 Z28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 34
Send a message via AIM to Teamturbo
Thank you for the support!!

The V6 Camaros are direct injection (which I'm sure many of you know). A direct injection fuel system is based on pressure and is very "tunable" with the right tool(s) and know how.
Teamturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #21
mrray13


 
mrray13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: southern Illinois
Posts: 2,974
a friend talked to me about a turbo and tune, mentioning that with the VVT, direct injection and a proper tune, this little v6 will be smoking, ala Grand National back in the day.

i'm a motor guy, but lack knowledge when it comes to turbos, so forgive me if my next question is, well, stupid, for lack of a better word.

my friend stated that one might be able to hold the exhaust valve open a millisecond or so during the intake stroke. this would allow a minute portion of gas to exit the cylinder and enter the turbo where the heat would cause combustion. he goes on to say this would allow for the turbo to spool up faster and make it even moree efficient and productive. is that true?

also, and maybe i'm out of place here, but i think if someone is giving you a car to basicly thrash on, the donor car should recieve a turbo package at no charge. it's not like you're not going to be beating on that car's motor with dyno pulls, tuning and just daily driving tests. just a discounted price for being without a fairly rare and brand new car just doesn't cut it IMHO.
__________________
PacMan
mrray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #22
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
a friend talked to me about a turbo and tune, mentioning that with the VVT, direct injection and a proper tune, this little v6 will be smoking, ala Grand National back in the day.

i'm a motor guy, but lack knowledge when it comes to turbos, so forgive me if my next question is, well, stupid, for lack of a better word.

my friend stated that one might be able to hold the exhaust valve open a millisecond or so during the intake stroke. this would allow a minute portion of gas to exit the cylinder and enter the turbo where the heat would cause combustion. he goes on to say this would allow for the turbo to spool up faster and make it even moree efficient and productive. is that true?

also, and maybe i'm out of place here, but i think if someone is giving you a car to basicly thrash on, the donor car should recieve a turbo package at no charge. it's not like you're not going to be beating on that car's motor with dyno pulls, tuning and just daily driving tests. just a discounted price for being without a fairly rare and brand new car just doesn't cut it IMHO.
actually... keeping the exhaust valve open a bit is what the big turbo dragsters do! That's why the have a very high, rough idle... Not sure you want to do that with a normal car though!

As for the donor car... yeah... I would tend to agree with you.. everyone that I know that's been a test mule for this kind of mod basically simply keeps the kit...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #23
v6sonoma


 
v6sonoma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 8,083
I think it would sell well. A turbo V6 is different and different is cool. When you line up side by side at the track with a stock mustang and say "I have a v6." then smoke him it's gotta be fun. I have a V8 so I'm not the target market here, but there's def people who will go for this.
__________________

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #24
Teamturbo
 
Teamturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1973 Z28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 34
Send a message via AIM to Teamturbo
What you are referring to is "Anti-Lag." And yes, it basically causes combustion inside the turbo making it spool up instantaneously at the cost of shorter lifespan of the turbo in most cases due to the INSANE amount of heat created. Rally racers have been using it for years and drag racers have started using it over the past years to current as well.

As for the donor car, we won't be "thrashing" on it as you say. We will be dyno tuning it which is a heavily monitored and scientific process that will properly take the engine to the capable power goals in a progressive manner. Expecting a turbo kit for free is a little steep. The car will be very well taken care of.
Teamturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamturbo View Post
What you are referring to is "Anti-Lag." And yes, it basically causes combustion inside the turbo making it spool up instantaneously at the cost of shorter lifespan of the turbo in most cases due to the INSANE amount of heat created. Rally racers have been using it for years and drag racers have started using it over the past years to current as well.

As for the donor car, we won't be "thrashing" on it as you say. We will be dyno tuning it which is a heavily monitored and scientific process that will properly take the engine to the capable power goals in a progressive manner. Expecting a turbo kit for free is a little steep. The car will be very well taken care of.
But in fact "stuff happens"... I wouldn't be surprised if people who are trying to develop power adders for the LLT pop a few motors along the way... in fact Lingefelter kind of implied this with the "got to break a few eggs to make an omelet" comment...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #26
2010SLVRBULIT


 
2010SLVRBULIT's Avatar
 
Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MARS
Posts: 7,434
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #27
Teamturbo
 
Teamturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1973 Z28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 34
Send a message via AIM to Teamturbo
In the 30 years this place has been open we have never blown a motor on a R&D project and would accept full responsibility if we did. We are very experienced in this process and have no doubt it will be successful if someone will step up and donate their car. We've done R&D for the Turbonetics Ford Mustang kits, the Lexus IS-F and many others with no problems.
Teamturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #28
ZNOLMT
 
ZNOLMT's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 469
As great as a V6 turbo kit would be, many of us did get V6's because of the cost and fuel economy. Also, I'm sure the warranty is important to many V6 drivers.

Paying $6-$7.5k to get SS level performance, lose fuel economy AND void our warranties is asking a LOT. Not to mention we have to worry about smogging our cars in the future.

If it were CARB legal, then that would be a HUGE plus ..... but otherwise, this is a tough sale.
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guesss who has a turbo kit coming for the new Camaro... Turbonetics MIAPLAYA Forced Induction - V8 232 10-14-2012 11:40 PM
Group Buy - Turbo Kit ZZcamaro Forced Induction 32 11-30-2009 12:52 PM
Fastlane Single Turbo Kit on Sale! Fastlane Forced Induction 1 11-26-2009 09:07 PM
Official $5999 Ultimate Performance Single Turbo kit for sale thread. JTinFL Forced Induction 30 10-21-2009 06:43 PM
ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE* TURBO Camaro SS -- 750hp Custom Single Turbo Kit (T04Z) Ultimate Performance Forced Induction - V8 496 10-11-2009 01:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.