Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #26
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
LS1s are smooth, easy power.
LT1s are hard, rough power. and I like it rough.
I like rough, raw MUSCLE! That why I've never like small little rubber band cars (ie. rice rockets). Just pure numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
no such thing as a stupid question...You can beat a zr1 with 100hp if the vehicle is light enough(i.e. street bike).
I always forget about weight...it makes a big difference too.

wHEW! I hope you guys don't mind these, lol:

Quote:
cast iron blocks (good for racing)
Like drag strip racing, track racing, street racing, or...?

Quote:
that really depends on if you spin or hook.
if you dead hook, you are putting a strain on the drivetrain and suspension. the stock rear end in these cars is one of the weakest links in the car.
now, if you spin, you are still putting some strain on the same parts, but not as much as dead hooking 3700lbs. and part of that is just due to the way the car is built. stamped steel control arms, non-welded axle tubes, torque arm mounted to the transmission tailshaft, etc.
So what would be an example of Spinning/Hooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawz View Post
Having an LS vs LT discussion isn't that smart. The LT was a 5 year run in the F-body while they were developing the LS series of motors. It's truly a red headed step child if you will.... Aftermarket parts availability was not bad but once the LS1 motor came out all the companies started producing parts for it and not the LT motors. Which is why there is NO aftermarket block availability for LTx motors which would allow us to produce ALOT more power.
Why would inavailability (i pulled that word outta my @$$), make us able to produce more power?

Quote:
anyways, built can be better than bought. Street legal is not decided by hp.
I've always liked building things than just BUYING it, it's always more fun...

Quote:
you cant usually spot the damage (ie wear and tear) that gets put on the car during hard accelleration. that is, until something breaks.
Makes sence, until something breaks is probably what I had in mind.

Quote:
as for the overheating... if you arent smart enough to shut your car down when you are overheating, you deserve to blow a head gasket. lol...
The thing is, I know people who are like that...people who get their car info from Need For Speed.

That's a good thing to know too, you can drive 'till your battery dies if you snap a belt.

Quote:
Who twists the cranks in lt1s and ls1s?
What does it mean to twist a crank?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #27
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
you know the big pulley at the front center bottom of your engine? It is connected to a crank shaft that goes all the way through the engine to the back. The crank shaft makes the pistons go up and down and lubricates the cylinder walls with oil that it splashes up.

To twist the crank would be like twisting anything else I guess. Get a peice of paper roll it into a roll squeeze as hard as you can and twist it, something like that lol. But from what I remember, the crank and block on an ls1 is rated to 1000hp or rwhp. Either way it is only a couple more hp than what I have

Outlawz was saying there is not a ltx block which is truly badass like there is the lsx block. The lsx block is rated to like 2400-2500hp and the ltx just does not exist for those power levels

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #28
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawz View Post
Having an LS vs LT discussion isn't that smart. The LT was a 5 year run in the F-body while they were developing the LS series of motors. It's truly a red headed step child if you will.... Aftermarket parts availability was not bad but once the LS1 motor came out all the companies started producing parts for it and not the LT motors. Which is why there is NO aftermarket block availability for LTx motors which would allow us to produce ALOT more power.
I misread it...oops.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 AM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
and I think the ls1 takes up less space in the engine bay. I've worked around both and I'd seriously hate to long tube an lt car. They were bad enough on my ls1 but doable.

depends on the LT's you go with and how worn the motor mounts are. my hooker LT's went in just fine. a lot easier than the LT's I helped install on my buddy's 01 t/a.
if the motor mounts are worn and the engine is sitting low it does make things dificult. and since most LT1 cars are 13+ years old now, most have saggy mounts that make header installs a pain.

I helped my buddy do his on his lt1 and neither he or I know that while the radiator looked full that his car could still over heat. We were waiting for the coolant level to drop to add to the radiator and his car was just idling like normal the whole time. A few min later the coolant was still at the top and we looked at the temp and the mfer was like at 300*!!! it was idling perfect too, but we knew the guage was saying shut it down.

the LT1 has those nice bleeder screws that you have to open to bleed down the system. but that's awesome that it was still running fine.... a testament to the LT1.

point is we had no other indication it was over heating besides the guage inside the car. It continued to run perfect.

remember that there are two water temp sensors for the LT1, one on the w/p and one on the head. and one sends a signal to the pcm (which will pull timing and modify operating parameters) while the other sends the signal to the dash. so even if the dash is saying its hot, it might still be w/in safe limits.

an ls1 or l36 car will start missing badly and eventually turn itself off instead of screwing around with your head gaskets which can be costly to replace.

head gaskests are like 40 bucks...

And back to the oil analysis. Yea an oil analysis will tell you of things that can be a problem down the road if you do not catch it soon enough. But when something is broken it is broken. And yes, you are seeing where and tear in an oil analysis as far as what is going on in the engine, otherwise it would be pointless to do.

If your engine is still stock, you've got nothing to worry about when getting on it... It'll take it. If you've got a 6spd just upgrade your pushrods, maintain excellent maintenance, and have a blast... you won't twist your crank, I promise... Even if you do dead hook with a stock engine.
what do you mean by upgrade your pushrods? meaning swap to hardened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
I like rough, raw MUSCLE! That why I've never like small little rubber band cars (ie. rice rockets). Just pure numbers.

I always forget about weight...it makes a big difference too.

wHEW! I hope you guys don't mind these, lol:

Like drag strip racing, track racing, street racing, or...?

So what would be an example of Spinning/Hooking?
spinning is just that, spinning the wheels. watch some drag race vids where the car is basically doing a burnout out of the hole.
hooking.... when the light turns green.... the car goes.

What does it mean to twist a crank?
just what it sounds like. your crankshaft rotates in the engine. and instead of it turning uniformly, one end of it rotates at a different speed than the other end, twisting it. hard to do with stock power levels.

Quote:

Outlawz was saying there is not a ltx block which is truly badass like there is the lsx block. The lsx block is rated to like 2400-2500hp and the ltx just does not exist for those power levels

that used to be true

however, Dart has been finalizing an LTX block that will be similar to the LSX block in that it can be bored and stroked all to hell and back, accept any OEM or aftermarket LTX head and provide us LTX guys with a decently priced aftermarket block that we can beat the piss out of.

and there are 1000+hp LT1's out there, most of them have filled or half filled blocks tho.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #30
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Howdy All,
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but oh well:

What kind of damage happens to the engine (Camaro or a regular car) when you accelorate hard, and how would you spot this damage?

You know, like

Just Curious...
This can be hard on any motor,but some more than others. Some stock motors don't oil the top end of the motor all that great which can cause the top end to be starved at higher Rpms. The rpms is what will kill the motor the quickest.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #31
7CAMARO7

camarospike23, yes hardend push rods... the chromoloy part too.

I hear the 6spd cars can mechanically over rev and bend push rods that way. I've mechanically overrevved quite a few times by accident in the past but I decided to upgrade them for insurance.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #32
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
camarospike23, yes hardend push rods... the chromoloy part too.

I hear the 6spd cars can mechanically over rev and bend push rods that way. I've mechanically overrevved quite a few times by accident in the past but I decided to upgrade them for insurance.
hardened pushrods arent what you want. unless they have a thicker sidewall than stock. hardening is really only good for if you are running guideplates to reduce pushrod shaving.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #33
7CAMARO7

Quote:
hardened pushrods arent what you want. unless they have a thicker sidewall than stock. hardening is really only good for if you are running guideplates to reduce pushrod shaving.
My oil analysis indicated that everything is better than it is in the average ls1. Everything is within or way better than spec

Old 10-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
My oil analysis indicated that everything is better than it is in the average ls1. Everything is within or way better than spec
oil analysis wont tell you if you bent a rod...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #35
7CAMARO7

Quote:
oil analysis wont tell you if you bent a rod...
you must know from experience. Anyway most people will know if an important metal part of their engine fails. The oil analysis will show problems from using cheap oil, oil filters, air filters, or if a slight problem exists that could get worse from negligence.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
you must know from experience. Anyway most people will know if an important metal part of their engine fails. The oil analysis will show problems from using cheap oil, oil filters, air filters, or if a slight problem exists that could get worse from negligence.

oh yeah. I was just saying that ive seen too many people "upgrade" to hardened pushrods cus they think they'll be more resistant to bending without making sure they increased the wall thickness of the rods themselves.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
acceloration, camaro, ls1, lt1, z28