Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #29
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVet68 View Post
So the discussion includes NLS, Power Shifting, and Launch Control. Have we answered the question of whether the 1LE has NLS? Does anyone have the knowledge to explain all three?
Power shifting isn't something the car does. Power shifting is the act of performing an upshift while leaving your right foot planted fully into the throttle.

NLS stands for No-Lift-Shift. It's a feature of the ZL1 that allows the driver to power shift, but without the extreme clutch wear that normally comes with the power shifting. The computer keeps the throttle in-check (despite driver keeping pedal planted) until the clutch starts to engage again.

Launch Control is launch control. Computer aided holding of the RPM at a preset point until the clutch drops in first gear while the car is stopped.

The 1LE has launch control, but not no-lift-shift.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #30
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I will take a shot.......

NLS: Vehicle maintains (does not go up or down) RPM during shift so that boast is not lost with the supercharger (turbos as well I think). It is standard on the ZL1. It is not available on the 1LE.

Power Shifting: I believe this to mean shifting without lifting the throttle. During the time the clutch is depressed the RPM's will increase (opposed to NLS feature). This method is very hard on the drivetrain and can lead to the "money shift" if one misses the intended gear for a lower one. The "money shift" can also occur in during normal shifting, but seems more likely during power shifting.

Launch Control: With the car in comp mode (two pushes of the TCS button), you depress the clutch, place the vehicle in first gear, and go to wide open throttle. The car will hold the RPM at around 4K for a short period of time. Release the clutch and the car will launch as hard as possible given the traction available. Car can be shifted norma through the remainder of the run. This is standard on SS Camaros (and I would guess ZL1's as well - possibly Z/28's).

How did I do?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #31
DadVet68

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS / 1LE
Two good explanations with consistency. Thank you!
DadVet68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #32
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Power shifting isn't something the car does. Power shifting is the act of performing an upshift while leaving your right foot planted fully into the throttle.

NLS stands for No-Lift-Shift. It's a feature of the ZL1 that allows the driver to power shift, but without the extreme clutch wear that normally comes with the power shifting. The computer keeps the throttle in-check (despite driver keeping pedal planted) until the clutch starts to engage again.

Launch Control is launch control. Computer aided holding of the RPM at a preset point until the clutch drops in first gear while the car is stopped.

The 1LE has launch control, but not no-lift-shift.
Correct.

1LE has LC but no NLS. One can PS but this is hard on the drivetrain. I also suspect that PS is of no advantage (on a drag race), since the rev-limiter is activated.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #33
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
You can make it work in the ECU with HP Tuners. Set it as a fuel cut, not a throttle closer and it will be very quick.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #34
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
So a couple of you mentioned that one of the purposes of the NLS is to maintain the boost during shifts on cars with forced induction. I understand how it can help on a tubocharged engine, since the turbo starts slowing down the moment you let of the throttle, and then it will take time for it to spin up after you get back on it.

But with a supercharger (on ZR1 and ZL1) boost is directly related to the RPMs. The moment you engage the next gear, you should have the same amount of boost whether you lifted the throttle or kept it depressed.

Am I missing something?
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #35
Sgtrod

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Anyone know what year that became available on the zr1??

Also, I dont know that the 1LE has launch control. Just cause it will not rev to 7k rpm while in first with your clutch foot down and gas pedal to the floor.

4k clutch dump...yeah...launch traction out the window...lol

Dont flame me guys. If your 1LE has LC, NLS or even a blow off valve...i wish I did too!
Sgtrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #36
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtrod View Post
Anyone know what year that became available on the zr1??

Also, I dont know that the 1LE has launch control. Just cause it will not rev to 7k rpm while in first with your clutch foot down and gas pedal to the floor.

4k clutch dump...yeah...launch traction out the window...lol

Dont flame me guys. If your 1LE has LC, NLS or even a blow off valve...i wish I did too!
All manual trans SS cars (1LE's, too!) have LC. Refer to your owners manual for how it works.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:17 AM   #37
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
All manual trans SS cars (1LE's, too!) have LC. Refer to your owners manual for how it works.
I think he is just sarcastically saying that the feature that Chevrolet calls a launch control on our cars, is not a proper launch control, because all it does is holds 4k rpms until traction is regained.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #38
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
So a couple of you mentioned that one of the purposes of the NLS is to maintain the boost during shifts on cars with forced induction. I understand how it can help on a tubocharged engine, since the turbo starts slowing down the moment you let of the throttle, and then it will take time for it to spin up after you get back on it.

But with a supercharger (on ZR1 and ZL1) boost is directly related to the RPMs. The moment you engage the next gear, you should have the same amount of boost whether you lifted the throttle or kept it depressed.

Am I missing something?
It takes a split second for a blower to rebuild boost after the bypass closes.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #39
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
NLS was first introduced in the GM work world on the Cobalt SS back in 2007. John Heinricy was rather enamored with it in his Cobalt SS race car. He demonstrated the benefits at the Ring.

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #40
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1LE View Post
It was obvious. But the fact that you have no clue what you're talking about is even more obvious.
I second that. Why is it so hard to stay on the topic LOL

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:19 AM   #41
DanMardik

Drives: Fast
Definitely not available on the 1LE
DanMardik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:46 PM   #42
Saffir3
BBL-BEE

Drives: Bright Yellow SS 1LE
No lift shift on a N/A engine? Just say you cant shift fast

With all seriousness I tried to no lift shift in my 2014 SS 1LE and it did not like it, went all the way to 6500 RPM, kept foot planted, kicked the clutch and tried to slam it into second an it locked me completely out. shift knob slipped right out of my hand an landed in neutral. 10/10 would absolutely not do again unless I get a tune for it, or if I get a ZL1.

There really is not a need for NLS on a N/A engine, there is no boost coming from any power adder that needs to be retained when you enter the next gear.

But really, the NLS on the 6th gen SS 1LE sounds sick!!!

No Thoughts.......Head Empty
Saffir3 is offline   Reply With Quote