Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #43
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
That extra weight is causing a major dilemma with me, but in terms of the convertible over whatever design they decide on with the coupe.

Is there a chop of what a supposed B-pillar would look like in the concept coupe? Just to get an idea of just how bad it may or may not affect the lines?

I totally agree with AFSN though...I'll take a B-pillar with a 5-star rating and less weight (not to mention the obvious support this offers the chassis for handling) over a heavier, sloppier car with cleaner lines.

Verdict: The vert will be sacrficing performance for style. Let the coupe sacrifice a BIT of style for a possibly significant amount of performance.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 PM   #44
gurulu68

Drives: 68 camaro rs
Why are you guys so worried about the wieght of the extra sheet metal that would go between the bottom of the quarter glass and the top? I'm an autobody frame tech, and I know how much an average b pillar wieghs and the area your talking about is 4 to six pieces only about a foot long each that couldn't weigh more than 5 pounds all together. If it concerns you that much, just rip out the entire interior and put in a milk crate so you can sit high enough to look out the windshield! hahaha... just kidding. Personally I prefer it to be like my 68 (with no post) It would just look better that way. Besides most of us are buying the car to get around and look good while doing it, not race it every chance we get.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #45
gurulu68

Drives: 68 camaro rs
You know, I was just looking at the side view of the camaro and I don't think there is that much of a gap between the front of the quarter glass and the back of it make much of a difference in a head on impact. You probably don't need a b pillar. Auto makers are starting to use this new metal called boron steel for areas like b pillars and rocker panels and roof rails. It is very light and incredably strong, you couldn't bend it with a sledge hammer , I know I've tired! and you need a special drillbit to drill a hole into it. I'm sure the designers thought about it when they designed it anyway.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 AM   #46
theonlyoneleft

Drives: 1995 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to theonlyoneleft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurulu68 View Post
Hi guys, I've been visiting this site for a while and I finally had a comment to add. On the case of the rear windows working on the coupe, I would say they probably are going to work because they are going to work on the convertable. And GM is not going to stamp 2 completely different quarter panels for the coupe and conv., when they can slightly modify the stamping machine to put out both quarters. At least thats what I think.
They'll probably have to stamp 2 different quarter panels anyways. Turing a coupe into a vert takes a lot more than just chopping the top off... I remember reading somewhere that while it may not look like it, the concept vert actually has a little bit different of a shape to it so that it could actually be a functioning convertible.

The rear window will probably be fixed unfortunately.
theonlyoneleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #47
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurulu68 View Post
You know, I was just looking at the side view of the camaro and I don't think there is that much of a gap between the front of the quarter glass and the back of it make much of a difference in a head on impact. You probably don't need a b pillar. Auto makers are starting to use this new metal called boron steel for areas like b pillars and rocker panels and roof rails. It is very light and incredably strong, you couldn't bend it with a sledge hammer , I know I've tired! and you need a special drillbit to drill a hole into it. I'm sure the designers thought about it when they designed it anyway.
I agree with you. We have the technology and the materials. They can build it without a "B" pillar and have the windows go down just like the convertible. It's not that hard and the weight is not that much. How much will a set of 21's or 22 inch wheels weigh that some will put on their cars? Down with the rear window.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote