Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
RJBJFIRE
IAFF Local 11

Drives: 2010 HPE 550 Camaro 2SS RS, 1969 SS
Question Dirt in Paint? Anyone? Help?

Dose anyone else have dirt or metal debris under their paint and clear coat? I also have two spots that have blistered on the rear left fender. The debris under the paint is in the front right fender, right door, right rear fender, left rear fender. One or two pieces in each body panel. The one in the front PS fender I thought was a dry bug on the paint and knocked it off with my fingernail, the rest I have left in tacked. It chipped to bare metal. My dealer has gotten approval from GM to repaint the car and it is covered by warranty. I take it in the 8th of Nov. I do not know the quality of the shop they will be using or the tech that will be doing the repair. The dealer has reassured me they are using the best. I have a preferred body shop that completes all my work but GM won’t let me use them.

I am vary nervous about letting anyone paint my baby, let alone someone I have never worked with. They can’t even store it inside. Here is where I need your help… I want to cover all the bases…

What issues do you foresee with the post factory paint job?
Will this void any future warranty or coverage on the paint/body?
What can I ask for in writing before any work is done?
How do I know the clear coat is done correctly?
Will they be able to match my hood, roof, and trunk?
What can I do if I don’t think it is done correctly?

As you can tell I am not happy about this but what do I do? Thanks for any input. Check out my Profile for photos of the car and paint issues (paint pictures soon).

Thanks, Roy...
RJBJFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Sorry 2 hear about your paint. I'm suprised to see so many comments on trash in the paint on the new Camaro. There is another post with several people commenting about debris in their paint, but not as widespread as yours. I'd ask who the repair shop is and go by there and look at some of their paint work before letting them paint your car. Just because a dealer says their shop is ok, doesn't mean it is. There's a dealer owned shop in my area that I wouldn't let paint my mailbox. Hopefully they have a good booth and experienced painters. Since your car is so new and with the modern paints/processes, I'd think they'd be able to get a good match on the color and texture without painting the entire car.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
RJBJFIRE
IAFF Local 11

Thanks for the reply, I will look up the other threads about dirt in paint. I plan on doing my homework and visiting them tomorrow. Thanks, Roy...
Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Just search and see if the dealer your taking it to has good reviews.
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #5
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Was this car possibly a in transit 'repair" painted BEFORE you took delivery?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
I would complain, big time
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Temper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
I would complain, big time
That never helps. They will either fix it right or they won't. Most likely they will not. Sorry. GM is turning out to be a real pickle!
Temper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 V.R. & 2006 Jetta TDI
Me too

Found a spot on the passenger side front pillar
in plain site,
a pretty big blob of dirt in the paint and another one on the fuel door.

cant believe it made it out the door and no one caught it.

Found something else yesterday on the driver side quarter panel I thought it was a smudge but it looks like a paint nozzle misfire or something it has a strange star-burst look to it and its hard to see that one unless in full daylight.

But I will live with them dont want to have it touched up.

I love the car and its build quality is second to none.
But the supposed to be flawless painting robots cant replace the human touch.

+ they could put a little more paint on a 40,000 $$ car.
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
RJBJFIRE
IAFF Local 11

My local dealer has been great to work with; I have been with them for many years now. (Capper Auto Group, in Marengo, Iowa) They stand behind all my vehicles 100%. They have introduced me to the owner and I am feeling better about the paint job. I am going to meet him before the paint job and tell him my expectations. I hate to loose my factory paint but the dirt is bad. Looks like everything will need to be repainted but the hood, roof, bumpers and trunk. I was told the fenders and doors came off the same line and the good pieces came off another paint line. Thanks for the advice and ideas, hopefully everything turns out well... Roy.