Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #251
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Before this turns into something it's not, it could very well easily just be all in my head. I went for a drive last night and it seemed ok. It's most smooth when rowing through all the gears. It sticks the most when downshifting or skipping gears. But I think it did that before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
My car has been like this since day 1... The looseness I was told is "normal", but now with the cold weather here up north, I'm hearing a slight grind going into 3rd

I will be taking my car in next spring to have this, and the front suspension issue resolved ( hopefully )

By the way, Thanks for keeping this thread alive I believe there are many more people with this problem only they don't know any better..... yet
Royal Purple tranny fluid is known to help some. Just put the GM crap back in before warranty trans service.

Syncros may still break-in some.

May need another tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdodge View Post
....most people that already broke theirs don't care anymore since they got a new tranny so its not thier problem anymore. /QUOTE]

Slightly off topic...But do we know this to be true? Has anyone broken the output shaft in the replacement transmission?Are there any cars with replacement transmissions that have been run hard enough to indicate that the problem is now definitively eliminated?

None posted so far.

We do believe any unit will break with excess wheel-hop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
This thread is not a waste. It is highly important for GM to know there are Camaro customers worried about this issue and want answers. It's as simple as that. I don't agree with those who are staying quiet because they are protecting GM and I do not agree with those who want to quiet us down as you are. If it is causing an argument in order to get this thread locked, then all you end up doing is wasting all of our time here who actually want to see this resolved. So please, enough is enough and let us do our best to get to the bottom of this and get Gm's involvement as well which I'm sure will come at some point. Hopefully sooner than later.
It is a waste for jrhaus76, but I am getting a lot out of this thread.

And quite frankly, if I owned one of the questionable range of cars, I probably wouldn't be so calm calm about it.

Maybe I would:

1. Let it go, and just see if it breaks someday - you know, maybe after the warranty is expired...

2. Beat the hell out of it, minus wheel-hop, and see if it breaks when I expect it to, rather than when I am pulling out in front of traffic with my kids in the backseat.

Sudden, total drivetrain failure, IS a safety hazard. I'd be suing the hell outta the NEW GM, if mine broke and caused an accident.

3. Spend the money to install an upgraded output shaft, available in the aftermarket soon. Might as well put in axles with cv joints that don't explode too.

$$$$

GM does listen to us. Sometimes they just wait for the mass media to pick up on our feelings before they respond, that's all.

Burying this issue in the "forbidden zone" seems to be extending the issue though.

I've never seen another car forum, that hides issues in a back-room, seldom visited area.

Last edited by camaro5; 11-24-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #252
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Royal Purple tranny fluid is known to help some. Just put the GM crap back in before warranty trans service.

May need another tranny.
At this point, I would almost be relieved if I did need a new tranny..... I hate to say it, but I have no confidence in the drive train :(

Last edited by camarorick; 11-29-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #253
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:

May need another tranny.

None posted so far.

We do believe any unit will break with excess wheel-hop.

It is a waste for jrhaus76, but I am getting a lot out of this thread.

And quite frankly, if I owned one of the questionable range of cars, I probably wouldn't be so calm calm about it.

Maybe I would:

1. Let it go, and just see if it breaks someday - you know, maybe after the warranty is expired...

2. Beat the hell out of it, minus wheel-hop, and see if it breaks when I expect it to, rather than when I am pulling out in front of traffic with my kids in the backseat.

Sudden, total drivetrain failure, IS a safety hazard. I'd be suing the hell outta the NEW GM, if mine broke and caused an accident.

3. Spend the money to install an upgraded output shaft, available in the aftermarket soon. Might as well put in axles with cv joints that don't explode too.

$$$$

GM does listen to us. Sometimes they just wait for the mass media to pick up on our feelings before they respond, that's all.

Burying this issue in the "forbidden zone" seems to be extending the issue though.

I've never seen another car forum, that hides issues in a back-room, seldom visited area.
I hope GM does agree with you and me that this is a SAFETY issue and should not be compared to other problems this car has faced like the slow L99 issue for example. As for this forum hiding this issue in a seldom visited area, they are just taking the "protecting GM approach" while letting those of us interested in this issue to keep talking about it while keeping traffic stumbling upon this thread lower than if it was in a more popular section of the forum. Hence why I didn't even know this thread was created for a few days until I was made aware of it in the old thread.

However with that said, lets not focus on the forum or the way they are handling or not handling this issue. It is clear we all have to stick together and focus our efforts to get GM to come on here and let us know what's going on. So obviously talking about this issue and raising awareness of it to other forum members who own Camaro's in the 25,000 vin range and below. We need to know a lot of information that is being kept from us. A few of us have already mentioned what we as Camaro owners need to know. Safety is my number 1 concern and should be your concern GM. Take this issue more seriously than you are and tell us how far you've gotten in your investigation about this issue so we can have a resolution and peace of mind that you actualy care about lives vs money or profit as Toyota did with the placemat issue.. Take us seriously here as we will not quiet down until you talk to us GM....
Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #254
camaro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
At this point, I would almost be relieved I did need a new tranny..... I hate to say it, but I have no confidence in the drive train :(
Go for it. It won't be the first Tremec trans changed due to rough, clunky operation, and lazy synchronizers.

When I ordered a new Vette, first thing I did was drive it, mainly to check the Tremec, before taking delivery.

I got a good one. It was excellent.

There are plenty who get bad ones, don't hesitate to speak with your service manager regarding the severity and importance of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I hope GM does agree with you and me that this is a SAFETY issue and should not be compared to other problems this car has faced like the slow L99 issue for example. As for this forum hiding this issue in a seldom visited area, they are just taking the "protecting GM approach" while letting those of us interested in this issue to keep talking about it while keeping traffic stumbling upon this thread lower than if it was in a more popular section of the forum. Hence why I didn't even know this thread was created for a few days until I was made aware of it in the old thread.

However with that said, lets not focus on the forum or the way they are handling or not handling this issue. It is clear we all have to stick together and focus our efforts to get GM to come on here and let us know what's going on. So obviously talking about this issue and raising awareness of it to other forum members who own Camaro's in the 25,000 vin range and below. We need to know a lot of information that is being kept from us. A few of us have already mentioned what we as Camaro owners need to know. Safety is my number 1 concern and should be your concern GM. Take this issue more seriously than you are and tell us how far you've gotten in your investigation about this issue so we can have a resolution and peace of mind that you actualy care about lives vs money or profit as Toyota did with the placemat issue.. Take us seriously here as we will not quiet down until you talk to us GM....

My guess is they don't want to come out and basically say - we don't know.

EDIT: THIS JUST IN

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating hundreds of reports that 2004-2005 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey minivans are

fitted with defective transmissions that could dangerously fail without warning.

Most alarming is that many of the transmissions reportedly fail at highway speeds. In a common complaint, the engine will suddenly surge and then all power is immediately lost. The vehicle is forced to coast powerlessly to a safe spot out of the flow of traffic. Angry owners have flooded message boards to report incidents of transmission failures which leave them stranded and stuck with $3,500 repair bills.

To date, there have been 654 customer complaints and 2,791 warranty claims. However, according to NHTSA, as many as 205,000 vehicles may be affected. The investigation, expected to take a year, will focus on the torque converter output shaft which drives the wheels. Ford Motor Co. has not yet released an official statement regarding the investigation.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/24/n...erey-transmis/

Nope. Trans failure ain't no safety concern.

"Hello, NHTSA?"

Last edited by camaro5; 11-24-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #255
JM10
Se habla espaņol

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I am 32K I am not too worried

So whats next? a guy with a L99 teliing us to calm down, not to worry....and wait until the shaft breaks?

JM
Old 11-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #256
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:

EDIT: THIS JUST IN

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/24/n...erey-transmis/

Nope. Trans failure ain't no safety concern.

"Hello, NHTSA?"
I mentioned the same thing earlier in this thread. I send NHTSA a message years ago about a Pontiac I had, but nothing materialized because I was probably one of a handful who actually ran their '87 Grand Am SE past 199,999 miles, which is where the digital odometer stopped.

It's worth a try for those who broke already, even if it's just to let NHTSA know that there are transmissions that are still breaking even after the announcement of the problem months back. Like others, I consider it a safety concern as well. :(
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #257
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
I mentioned the same thing earlier in this thread. I send NHTSA a message years ago about a Pontiac I had, but nothing materialized because I was probably one of a handful who actually ran their '87 Grand Am SE past 199,999 miles, which is where the digital odometer stopped.

It's worth a try for those who broke already, even if it's just to let NHTSA know that there are transmissions that are still breaking even after the announcement of the problem months back. Like others, I consider it a safety concern as well. :(
If we make a list of those of us who think this is a safety concern vs those who do not, we should disqualify any of those who own L99 Camaro's or none at all from trying to tell us otherwise. I'm sure very few owners would be so nonchalant about this issue.

The next step is to probably write to the NHTSA as you say and get as many people to get in and sign it or write up about the issue as well. It is true that most of who have had this issue and had it fixed don't care or haven't thought about the issue anymore, however that is not important. If there is anyone with numbers of vehicles affected, the insurance companies would have to have free clearance on that information (onstar would know as well), I doubt it could be kept from them as it is being kept from us. GM's people/sympathizers say its a small amount of vehicles affected which doesn't warrant them doing anything about it but letting ours fail and taking it in because it is not a safety issue..lol. Hell, the NHTSA should be able to get all the numbers of those affected in a few minutes out of Onstar or GM. Well, we have pointed out how a total drive train failure is viewed by the NHTSA and GM's handling of this issue at its current stage including what information GM emplyee's offered to us to calm us down 4 months ago. So unless GM is willing to ignore the NHTSA, I would say they need to take this problem more seriously, especially with voices like us yelling out to them for some information on this subject. As far as we know, GM hasn't come out and acknowledged that the problem is fixed even though we have some friends of Gm employee's telling us it is, but then that leaves all of us within the affected range with an unknown. GM should come up with a plan telling us what VIN area's we should watch out for and which ones are 100% sure they do not have a weak shaft. GM should come up with a plan to get all the VIN's in question checked and replaced if there is any doubt..

GM, why don't you do this...?

1) Have the dealers replace all trans output shafts defective or not (within the vin range of affected vehicles) with ones that you know are created correctly.. You take each shaft and have them tested at your own time to declare them viable to be recycled or used again.

This is the easiest and best solution yet since it would save you guys from an embarrassment and a large legal payout if someone does die in the future due to this issue. Not to mention all the bad publicity you will get. Look at Toyota as the example.

For those of you with Camaro's within that VIN range, post your Camaro SS M6 and VIn number and post that you support GM doing this. Thanks

So Scott Fbodfather, if you are reading this, please suggest what I just wrote above in bold to GM's higher authorities so they can make it happen and end this ridiculous back and forth of speculation and playing with our lives with a known potentially dangerous issue. GM can do this and problem solved. Make it happen. Let us know that you tried.. Thanks..

I created its own thread to make it more official.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53734

Last edited by Supermans; 11-25-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #258
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Here's the web page to file vehicle safety complaints for those who have broken already.

NHTSA complaint webpage

This is the only complaint I could find so far.

Quote:
BOTH DOOR STRIKE PLATES EXHIBITING CORROSION. PART WAS PLATED FIRST THEN BENT INTO SHAPE. MANUFACTURING PROCESS SHOULD BE REVERSED. PART SHOULD BE BENT INTO SHAPE THEN PLATED. *TR
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
Old 11-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #259
camaro5

You guys are doing the right things. More power to you.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #260
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Quote:

You and my friends girlfriend.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #261
mtm864

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
have the first 25k car been built already? i ordered mine about 2 weeks ago just making sure i wont get stuck with one of the faulty shafts!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #262
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm864 View Post
have the first 25k car been built already? i ordered mine about 2 weeks ago just making sure i wont get stuck with one of the faulty shafts!
Pretty sure they have....You SHOULD be fine.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #263
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm864 View Post
mmmm, yeah...they should be up well over 60k by now. 25k was built back in July.

NY5thgen.com
Old 11-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #264
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
this thread has lost all credability,maybe if you hold your breath then you guys will get what you want!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #265
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
this thread has lost all credability,maybe if you hold your breath then you guys will get what you want!
This coming from the guy that can't even spell credibility?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #266
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
my god and spelling nazi to boot youre all screwed now!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #267
Supermans

Quote:
Here's the web page to file vehicle safety complaints for those who have broken already.

NHTSA complaint webpage

This is the only complaint I could find so far.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #268
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
John Fitzpatrick, Camaro Marketing Manager, has provided a statement on this issue for us. Please redirect here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...53#post1240453

Closed Thread