Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Zaphod

Drives: 2SS
General engine/transmission noise?

What's everyone's general sense of how "noisy" the engine should be? I'm not talking about general engine rumble, wind noise or dash squeak or rattle. More like a rattling that seems to orginate down under shifter when at low idle in lower gears. It also clunks fairly heavily when pushing the clutch in/shifting into neutral. Just wondering how much is "intentional" on the part of the designers, trying to make it sound rough, vs. whether there is a mechanical problem. I hate the thought of taking it in for service already.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
I'm going on the assumption you have a manual trans in your car. I don't own a Camaro yet, but I can say that from owning V8-powered GM and Ford products over the years that I've seen more forum posts on noises and problems problems from manual cars than autos. I believe this is the nature of the trans and hearing syncro/bearing noises are part of it along with clunks from driveline slack. I doubt any of it is designed intentionally into the car and I'm sure the designers actually would make it quieter if they could.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Mrhavasu

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Mine is also very noisy. I went to the dealer and drove another manual car and it was the same exact way. I guess its normal. BUT, I do not like it. I have driven stick vettes and they do not do this. Probably a first year thing. Maybe I should have waited, other than that I am happy for the most part.
Mrhavasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
some Camaro MN6 transmissions have more slop in the tranny linkage than most and more slop results in detectable noise from vibration.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
deadlyarcher72

Drives: 2SS RS BLACK WITH GFX GRAY INT
Is this a problem to be concerned with? I was planning on replacing my clutch with a hurst. Would replacing the clutch make the noise better or worse?
deadlyarcher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
sixty9fordkiller
bowtie junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
mine is a bit noisy!

car runs like a champ. Ive done one single pass at the track (didnt even do a burnout) to see what the car would run and have not done one single full out pass since. I dont drive the car hard but ive always noticed its that its a little noisy. Its not the engine. I sounds like its the release bearing. I can live with it for now i guess.

sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote