Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 650 HP Forged Internals-549 HP rear
Paint/Assembly Defect

Taking car in Friday to get Service Bulletin done (HVAC/Spoiler,etc) and PDIM software update (ipod not being recognized all the time). Dealer-no problem, see you Friday.

I then mentioned (I actually almost forgot about it) about the paint chipping on the right rear corner of the car where the 2 body panels meet (Assembled with little or not enough clearance I believe was the issue). You have to look for it, but it's there.

The dealer seemed to already know about the problem and said it is a 1-3 day fix (If it is what they think) and that I would get a rental (No Accord !!).

Has anyone actually had this paint repair done? And what it actually consists of? I am thinking that the parts are disassembled, repainted and re-installed with some kind of spacer fix? Just repainting seems like the problem would re-occur. I just wanted to know what to expect since it appears my dealer is actually on top of this. I was actually happy when they said 1-3 days since it came off as quite responsive, versus dismissive.

They'll look at the car Friday when I take it in for the other stuff and let me know how to proceed.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
philthy

Drives: 1969 Chevelle/2010 Camaro 2LT
Had mine done about a month ago....you would never know it was touched up. They did a great job on it.

Pre-ordered November 17, 2008
Delivered May 14, 2009
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Mine goes in this Thursday - very minor, can just see the black in the crease. The TSB does call for new parts that I believe widens the gap between fender and body. So fender is taken off, repainted and re-installed. TSB is also for a "refinish" - interpret that as repaint .
Anyways will let you know outcome of mine. I'm hoping they can touch it in rather then full refinish, body shop manager seems to be a good chap, once removed he'll know if its retouch or repaint and if its acceptable or not (as will I when I see it )
This is the first one they've had, and had no idea about the TSB until i gave them the details - straight from this forum!

Thinking about it --- do you think 'touching in' will be ok? -- as long as it looks like its never been done? - no underlying problem in that area?? it really is very minor and need to look closely to see it....

Thoughts??
markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
philthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
Mine goes in this Thursday - very minor, can just see the black in the crease. The TSB does call for new parts that I believe widens the gap between fender and body. So fender is taken off, repainted and re-installed. TSB is also for a "refinish" - interpret that as repaint .
Anyways will let you know outcome of mine. I'm hoping they can touch it in rather then full refinish, body shop manager seems to be a good chap, once removed he'll know if its retouch or repaint and if its acceptable or not (as will I when I see it )
This is the first one they've had, and had no idea about the TSB until i gave them the details - straight from this forum!

Thinking about it --- do you think 'touching in' will be ok? -- as long as it looks like its never been done? - no underlying problem in that area?? it really is very minor and need to look closely to see it....

Thoughts??

Mine is touched up as you described and no issues. I was ready to put the gloves on and come out of my corner swinging when they said the whole bumper would not be repainted. The body shop manager put my mind at ease and assured me the repair would be flawless....and it is!

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

philthy- Sounds like they only touched up the paint blemish. Did the body shop guy give you an explanation on why the problem wouldn't re-occur since no parts were replaced?

In line with Markmass's question- touch up paint can look flawless-but that is not the worry. If you are "Touching Up" the paint, it means you did NOT replace the defective parts that caused the problem in the first place?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I find myself looking at all kinds of makes and models for this. A lot of cars have this type of assembly with a plastic front section, then sheet metal middle or whatever. I did actually see some other makes with some paint problems at the joint. For the most part I have looked at several now, it was a couple that seemed to have rust forming, but they were older. I will be watching mine like a hawk!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow, that's not good.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
philthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
philthy- Sounds like they only touched up the paint blemish. Did the body shop guy give you an explanation on why the problem wouldn't re-occur since no parts were replaced?

In line with Markmass's question- touch up paint can look flawless-but that is not the worry. If you are "Touching Up" the paint, it means you did NOT replace the defective parts that caused the problem in the first place?
Yes, they touched up....did not replace the panel. They did mention shimming the joint slightly so the fender and fascia would not rub. They were not sure if it was caused by too tight of a joint, or due to the factory smacking the upper lip of fascia against the lower lip of fender when assembling the car.

The part was not defective...two parts rubbed together and the paint wrinkled a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
I find myself looking at all kinds of makes and models for this. A lot of cars have this type of assembly with a plastic front section, then sheet metal middle or whatever. I did actually see some other makes with some paint problems at the joint. For the most part I have looked at several now, it was a couple that seemed to have rust forming, but they were older. I will be watching mine like a hawk!
No rust possible...the fascia is plastic.

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
anthonybyram

Drives: 1972 Z28, torch red,454
Thanks for the heads up and also including your VIN, I went and looked at mine just to make sure same problem wasnt happening to mine, thank goodness its not! Im wondering if this was an early production problem, possibly overtightening the rear facia? just a thought, still a problem none the less. Love your Harley, sharp bike! Good taste in cars too! (see my sig) Im still riding my shovelhead.
anthonybyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybyram View Post
Thanks for the heads up and also including your VIN, I went and looked at mine just to make sure same problem wasnt happening to mine, thank goodness its not! Im wondering if this was an early production problem, possibly overtightening the rear facia? just a thought, still a problem none the less. Love your Harley, sharp bike! Good taste in cars too! (see my sig) Im still riding my shovelhead.

Not early production - mine was made in September. I've owned 5 weeks. The problem is over-tightening where the fender contacts the body, both sides. The solution is to take off fender and put new parts (washers/shims - not sure if these are modified parts or simply replace - the dealer had to order the parts - will ask him tomorrow when I take it in -- they do not supply a new fender) paint then put fender back on, ensuring correct spacing. The problem is obvious when you see it. I looked at a couple of other Camaros and they have a 'healthy' space between body and fender. Hopefully front fender is ok, looks pretty tight, but so far so good
Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
sixty9fordkiller
bowtie junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
if im not mistaken, i read somewhere that this problem was only appearing in yellow camaros. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate? Or are yellow camaros indeed the only ones having this problem?

sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Mine is Silver. VIN 6125 Made 4/28/09.

You really have to look hard to see this paint issue. At first, it was a little easier to see it when the paint was flaking. Washing knocked the flaking off, making appearance much smoother.

And thanks for the fix info-just what I was looking for.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #13
philthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
if im not mistaken, i read somewhere that this problem was only appearing in yellow camaros. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate? Or are yellow camaros indeed the only ones having this problem?
Mine is victory red

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
Anyone have any pictures of this?? Was it there at delivery or occur over time?
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
Had mine done about a month ago....you would never know it was touched up. They did a great job on it.
mmm - i'm not pleased with the 'touch-up' job. I let him know i wasn't too happy. Getting it home and taking another look -- its definitely a call back to the body shop manager and asking for the 'refinish' this took them less than an hour.... Pictures show where it was obviously touched in - while we both agreed to 'try' to touch in, this is not a smooth job.
Name:  Picture 009.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  108.3 KB

Secondly Did the inside look like the last pictures? seems like there should be better fittings then simply ram a couple of bolts through to the J-clip..
Name:  Picture 002.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  293.1 KB
Name:  Picture 001.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  332.6 KB
Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Mine has this issue and it is RJT. The collision shop at the dealer said they would respray the bumper, and that it was caused during assembly by overtightening some bolts.

43192 is my vin.

I've looked at two other Camaro's locally and neither one of them had it.
I'm going to wait until winter is over to get it resprayed though.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
If I got my car two months age in L.A., will a dealer in San Diego fix this for me under warranty?
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eynigush View Post
If I got my car two months age in L.A., will a dealer in San Diego fix this for me under warranty?
Yes -- there is a TSB so no issues http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=42960&page=4
Old 12-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
philthy

Quote:
mmm - i'm not pleased with the 'touch-up' job. I let him know i wasn't too happy. Getting it home and taking another look -- its definitely a call back to the body shop manager and asking for the 'refinish' this took them less than an hour.... Pictures show where it was obviously touched in - while we both agreed to 'try' to touch in, this is not a smooth job.
Attachment 77435

Secondly Did the inside look like the last pictures? seems like there should be better fittings then simply ram a couple of bolts through to the J-clip..
Attachment 77436
Attachment 77437
That sucks...I coulda done a better job than that with a Q-tip! Definetly take it back and tell them to fix it right.

Mine was touched up and you can not tell it from new!

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 12-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
That sucks...I coulda done a better job than that with a Q-tip! Definetly take it back and tell them to fix it right.

Mine was touched up and you can not tell it from new!
Thought same --- how about the bolts in the trunk? I think this is the first time these guys have done this --- but the inside looks crap too..
Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
philthy

Mine was the front end. I did not notice the bolts under the hood. Thanks for the heads-up, though...will check it tonight.

Delivered May 14, 2009
Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

The touch-up on the yellow car looks like a 2nd grader did it. Anyone see the service bulletin to see how much time GM gave to do the job?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #23
Rob1LT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Victory Red 1LT
Whoever touched up that yellow Camaro must have been drunk to let that out the door of a professional body shop. Is anyone seeing any issues with the paint anywhere else on the cars? My paint is flaking at the joint of the rear bumper/quarter panel, drivers door, and passenger fender?
Rob1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #24
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
The touch-up on the yellow car looks like a 2nd grader did it. Anyone see the service bulletin to see how much time GM gave to do the job?
Thanks to anon who sent the bulletin..(love this forum!!!) Total time close to 3 hours. In the bulletin there are 2 procedures.
1 - with no paint damage = 2 bolts, 2 J clips adjustment - 0.2 hours.
2 - with paint peeling = (1) + repaint/clearcoat = 2.5 hours

I don't think my dealer will complain too much seeing as it took less then an hour (majority of that was probably reading the bulletin, taking a break, reading again ..) They just touched up - and claimed the full time.

Will see him next week
Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Quote:
Thanks to anon who sent the bulletin..(love this forum!!!) Total time close to 3 hours. In the bulletin there are 2 procedures.
1 - with no paint damage = 2 bolts, 2 J clips adjustment - 0.2 hours.
2 - with paint peeling = (1) + repaint/clearcoat = 2.5 hours

I don't think my dealer will complain too much seeing as it took less then an hour (majority of that was probably reading the bulletin, taking a break, reading again ..) They just touched up - and claimed the full time.

Will see him next week
Mine did the opposite- with no paint damage-except there is paint damage. I didn't think they would have time to do the paint (Nor the shimming) since they were to do the other service bulletin for HVAC/Spoiler Bolts/Harness, as well as PDIM software update to version CE (Which took them almost 6 hours to do- couldn't do it wireless, used usb and needed assistance from tech center, BUT COMPLETED IT!!).

I was wondering why they would do the shim job knowing they had no time for the paint- .2 hrs!!