Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
drivingincamaro


 
drivingincamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 civic
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik View Post
DO IT..... DOOOOO ITTTT!!!!!
GIT IN DA CHOPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but yeah that's a great idea,

i hope fbodfather chimes in and expresses his opinion
__________________
drivingincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #19
gunslinger
 
Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 254
I've said it before and I will say it again... slapping a supercharger on an engine not designed for it can only cause problems later on down the road. Even the cast pistons in the LSA are a liability.

Unless the Z28 package w/ the S/C includes a set of forged pistons, the reliability that I want from a FULL production Z/28 will keep from buying this package. Or a full warranty to 100K when buying this package...

For the price of a GMPP package, I could rebuild the LS3 for forced induction and still have money left in the bank. I have NEVER liked the reliability aspect of slapping a S/C onto a motor designed for N/A. I understand that it has been done in the past, but that does not make it the right decision.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again... slapping a supercharger on an engine not designed for it can only cause problems later on down the road. Even the cast pistons in the LSA are a liability.

Unless the Z28 package w/ the S/C includes a set of forged pistons, the reliability that I want from a FULL production Z/28 will keep from buying this package. Or a full warranty to 100K when buying this package...

For the price of a GMPP package, I could rebuild the LS3 for forced induction and still have money left in the bank. I have NEVER liked the reliability aspect of slapping a S/C onto a motor designed for N/A. I understand that it has been done in the past, but that does not make it the right decision.
But, if that's the hand we're dealt, then that's what we have.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #21
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,314
This is the way i figured they would do it. If they were going to do it, it would almost have to be a package that you could get at the dealer.

+ a hundred on that option package to be checked(if i had the dough)
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #22
Congoman775

 
Congoman775's Avatar
 
Drives: Muscle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,315
hey question about this...

(and dont jump on me for speculating...)


But is this something that you could buy AFTER getting your car? i ask because there is no way i could aford a 5-8k mark up past 30k, but id love to add it to the car after i could make that money.

what are the odds of having an SS be converted to a Z28 post Factory through aftermarket products? kinda like a mustang stage 3 might do...
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
13F20
 
Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GA, soon to be KS.
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
hey question about this...

(and dont jump on me for speculating...)


But is this something that you could buy AFTER getting your car? i ask because there is no way i could aford a 5-8k mark up past 30k, but id love to add it to the car after i could make that money.

what are the odds of having an SS be converted to a Z28 post Factory through aftermarket products? kinda like a mustang stage 3 might do...
When you ask a question about a speculated idea that is not certain then all you will get is answers to your question that are theoretical and not fact. You say “Don’t jump on me for speculating”. But the question you ask requires a defeat answer that no one has.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
hey question about this...

(and dont jump on me for speculating...)


But is this something that you could buy AFTER getting your car? i ask because there is no way i could aford a 5-8k mark up past 30k, but id love to add it to the car after i could make that money.

what are the odds of having an SS be converted to a Z28 post Factory through aftermarket products? kinda like a mustang stage 3 might do...
I don't see why this couldn't be done, personally. However, I think it would seriously depend on the way GM went about making Z28. For example: I'm going to use the supercharged idea (DUH! ) If that car were going to be rated at, say, 550 horse', GM would surely use at least a strengthened tranny (6L90 and dual-disk 6060); beefier rear end (probably larger diameter ring and pinion, axles, and housing); larger diameter brakes (I'm sure since SS has 4-pot calipers, upgrading to 15" rotors wouldn't be out of the question); maybe wider wheels (why go BIGGER than 20-inch standards - isn't there talk of 21-inch accessories?); and probably some stiffening in the chassis (maybe heavier-duty engine and rear axle craddles and a few extra bolt-on braces). Then, there's probably going to be appearance changes too: hood, front facia, maybe rear spoiler. That's not even thinking about adding another cooling circuit for an intercooler and everything that goes with that.

To answer your question - I'd say you could do it, but would it be cost effective?... IF, GM were to make Z28 like this, I would be willing to be a paycheck that upgrading an SS to a Z28 would be more expensive than just buying a Z28 outright from the beginning. I think this is a struggle some people face and are just anxious about; the not knowing when part.

Now, if GM were to go a more traditional route, I think adding 10-20 more horse' and dropping weight would be easier than what I speculated above. Taking away from a car is a lot easier than adding to it.

I don't have any facts to support which way GM would/have/is/was going with Z28, I'm just taking a shot in the dark
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
Congoman775

 
Congoman775's Avatar
 
Drives: Muscle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I don't see why this couldn't be done, personally. However, I think it would seriously depend on the way GM went about making Z28. For example: I'm going to use the supercharged idea (DUH! ) If that car were going to be rated at, say, 550 horse', GM would surely use at least a strengthened tranny (6L90 and dual-disk 6060); beefier rear end (probably larger diameter ring and pinion, axles, and housing); larger diameter brakes (I'm sure since SS has 4-pot calipers, upgrading to 15" rotors wouldn't be out of the question); maybe wider wheels (why go BIGGER than 20-inch standards - isn't there talk of 21-inch accessories?); and probably some stiffening in the chassis (maybe heavier-duty engine and rear axle craddles and a few extra bolt-on braces). Then, there's probably going to be appearance changes too: hood, front facia, maybe rear spoiler. That's not even thinking about adding another cooling circuit for an intercooler and everything that goes with that.

To answer your question - I'd say you could do it, but would it be cost effective?... IF, GM were to make Z28 like this, I would be willing to be a paycheck that upgrading an SS to a Z28 would be more expensive than just buying a Z28 outright from the beginning. I think this is a struggle some people face and are just anxious about; the not knowing when part.

Now, if GM were to go a more traditional route, I think adding 10-20 more horse' and dropping weight would be easier than what I speculated above. Taking away from a car is a lot easier than adding to it.

I don't have any facts to support which way GM would/have/is/was going with Z28, I'm just taking a shot in the dark


Who knows... might be a road worth traveling down...

Long way off though, ive still got alot of savings to do before the SS comes into the picture!!
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,053
+1
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:44 AM   #27
Cessna510
Gm loyalist
 
Cessna510's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 z71 tahoe\99 SS m6
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baxter Springs Ks
Posts: 362
Great Idea! It would be a fairly rare car and since there will be so many other options few would be alike. RS|Z28..base Z28.....body kit....21's... stripes...colors....wing...blade
__________________
Cessna510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #28
SScott
 
Drives: 21speed
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
Posts: 10
Guess I'll have to wait two MORE years to get a factory blown Camaro. The car is so tuff lookin'. but I don't NEED to get my butt kicked by blown mustangs and turbo'd hondas.
SScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #29
Camaro68


 
Camaro68's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince William, VA
Posts: 2,697
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
daddy likes. box checked
+1 all those boxes would be checked
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #30
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,277
say that the z28 is able to be done through the dealer and installed by the dealer. what do you buy the SS and they would debadge all the ss parts or call it a z28ss? and the z28ss/rs if you get the rs package????
i meen im down to buy anything that is supercharded from the factory and under warranty but i dont see it being called a z28 concidering the only trim level offered in a v8 now is an ss.
__________________
http://www.gofundme.com/n7ne44

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #31
DET MUSL
Let's Go Wings!
 
DET MUSL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 313
I bet we'll be getting some answers regarding this after SEMA.... Something just tells me that questions will be answered at SEMA.
__________________
Current Ride
2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Mods:
GMPP Stage 2
K&N CAI
Vibrant Racing Muffler
Carbon Fiber Hood w/ SS style scoop
Black Wheels
Best 1/4 Mile Time
13.8 @ 101.4mph
DET MUSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #32
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoMoDude600 View Post
How about do it like they did back in the 60's. All the factory/dealer options are put into the trunk when you pick up your car from the dealership. Then you can have the dealer install for a fee and keep your warranty. Or you take it home and do it yourself without a warranty.
Well they certainly never did that with the entire Z/28 package in the '60s, it was done with the dual quad intake and carbs.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforall1776 View Post
Ok, so where is the option?! ;-)
What do you mean? Where is the Z28 option? If so, there is no Z28 right now and for at least a few years or so...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #34
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
What do you mean? Where is the Z28 option? If so, there is no Z28 right now and for at least a few years or so...
Im still thinking its going to be sooner than a few years.......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.