Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #51
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Agreed, but if the premise requires "already-on-the-shelf" parts where possible, the 20s are the "only" performance-oriented rubber they have. Otherwise, validated wheels (I'm sorry, this car deserves light forged wheels with grippy rubber) and suitable tires will bog the process...

Scott/John/Cheryl/Al ARE aware of this "concept", but since they will NOT consider "second sticker" partnerships to see this car happen, either THEY do it or they FULLY SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGE "others" to do it...and they DO have DTC's number...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #52
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I don't know where you get your data but if you exclude the fact that the engine is bigger in the SS the LS/LT does not weigh less its the same damn chassis, frame, sound deadening, etc. They are identical vehicles aside from the engines and suspension components. They are all built off the same thing. You won't get any sort of extra weight savings of using a 1LT vs a 1SS they are the identical car. If you took a "1LT" and put all the 1SS performance parts in it you would have a 1SS its identical. The 1SS weighs more because it has a physically bigger engine that weighs more. The LS loses a couple details like the foglights and the ability to add certain options which would be easy enough to do to a 1SS.

Back in the day the lower V6 models had less equipment, options, chrome etc, which made a stripper V8 car a novelty as you just plain couldn't buy it. Thats just not the case today, a 1SS and 1LT are identical aside from the obvious shape of the nose (which probably weighs the same) and the wheels, suspension, engine and brakes, all of which would be added to a "1LE" package to make it a performance car.

* almost forgot we've established from fbodfather the engine cradle on a V6 frame vs a V8 frame has different mounting points, so you couldn't even install a V8 engine in there anyway. As I said they are identical cars so this makes no sense anyway.
So if that is true, why couldn't a small V-8 be put in an LS shell?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #53
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:

* ps the Z28 DID have stripes, and chrome and shiny rally wheels. What you describe is more of a COPO car that the Z28 never was, it was a homologation special but still had some things to make it a daily car and indicate its racing connection.
Have you seen pictures of Jeff Smith's "original" barn-find-type '67 Z28 recently featured in Car Craft Magazine? NO stripes... In fact, he owned it for many years before realizing exactly what it was (converted to A/T, with hydraulic lifters by a previous female owner)...and Jeff is no dummy when it comes to Chevys...he is, in fact, a John Lingenfelter "protoge' ".

Stripe-delete was a common request "back in the day". Z/28s, SSs..."Have it your way" existed, then...

Rally wheels were part of the Package...15", unlike the 350/396 SS's 14's.

AGAIN, GM MUST do something to properly create sustained V6 Market Demand. The original business case prescribed it (60% V6/40% V8), and its Supplier Commitments predicate it. THAT is why SSs have been more difficult to get since August and, from time to time, will be again, but this tactic does NOTHING to ENCOURAGE V6 Demand... Without it, the Camaro "run" may be shortened...AGAIN...while Mustang prospers...

You are missing the point of 1LE. It was a car a guy could buy, cage, and go showroom stock racing with.

Go and search R7U...it CAME with a cage...

1LEs were far from the "ultimate" F-car...it took us a Wheel2Wheel "trick" suspension set-up to get our "Firehawk Lite", built-from-a-body-in-white, to finish Second Overall at the '98 One Lap of America, tied for THE Best Finish by ANY PonyCar of ANY Manufacturer in the entire history extant of OLOA. THAT car was an outgrowth of the '95 1LE Formula we secured (one of two ever built). We've owned and raced 'em, so we DO have "some idea" of what we speak/preach...

We successfully competed in the GM/Player's Challenge, '86-'88, with 6th Overall in the inaugural season (competing in only 7 of 8 races...) to back up our "been there/done that" status...

Regardless of which Barber College we learned Hair Splitting at, the pending "real" Z28 will address the perceived Demand for a "halo" top-drawer Camaro...but a gap exists for an inexpensive, agile, fun-to-drive Camaro, be it a 1LE or otherwise designated, that is ecologically sensitive, insurance-friendly...and Mustang-dominating... Don't be surprized if THIS version sets sales records...the "right" version at the "right" time...

IMVHO...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 12-29-2009 at 12:37 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #54
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
So if that is true, why couldn't a small V-8 be put in an LS shell?
See later post, engine cradles are different....
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #55
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Have you seen pictures of Jeff Smith's "original" barn-find-type '67 Z28 recently featured in Car Craft Magazine? NO stripes... In fact, he owned it for many years before realizing exactly what it was (converted to A/T, with hydraulic lifters by a previous female owner)...and Jeff is no dummy when it comes to Chevys...he is, in fact, a John Lingenfelter "protoge' ".

Stripe-delete was a common request "back in the day". Z/28s, SSs..."Have it your way" existed, then...

Rally wheels were part of the Package...15", unlike the 350/396 SS's 14's.

AGAIN, GM MUST do something to properly create sustained V6 Market Demand. The original business case prescribed it (60% V6/40% V8), and its Supplier Commitments predicate it. THAT is why SSs have been more difficult to get since August and, from time to time, will be again, but this tactic does NOTHING to ENCOURAGE V6 Demand... Without it, the Camaro "run" may be shortened...AGAIN...while Mustang prospers...
And what does his car not having stripes have to do with it? If you ordered a Z28 it came with stripes and wheels, you had to option it otherwise...

I agre they need to bring up demand for the V6 eventually but the car is still selling like hotcakes... In a year they will need to spice up the V6 to continue selling it. V6 packages are a great idea, but Using a monkier associated with a factory road race car is NOT the way.

Ford gets away with adding stickers and trim, now you can get a V6 track pack, start there see where it goes.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #56
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
1) And what does his car not having stripes have to do with it? If you ordered a Z28 it came with stripes and wheels, you had to option it otherwise...

2) I agre they need to bring up demand for the V6 eventually but the car is still selling like hotcakes... In a year they will need to spice up the V6 to continue selling it. V6 packages are a great idea, but Using a monkier associated with a factory road race car is NOT the way.

3) Ford gets away with adding stickers and trim, now you can get a V6 track pack, start there see where it goes.
1) Option, as stated...

2) Bastardizing monikers is nothing new with them...

3) Where it goes? Onward...successfully for 47 Model Years...without hiatus...unlike you-know-who...ready to repeat their errors of the past...

The V6 IS the key Platform for continued Camaro success...PERIOD!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #57
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
In this day and age, an up-optioned V-6 like the rumored "executive edition" will do more to promote V6 sales than taking away options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #58
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
1) Option, as stated...

2) Bastardizing monikers is nothing new with them...

3) Where it goes? Onward...successfully for 47 Model Years...without hiatus...unlike you-know-who...ready to repeat their errors of the past...

The V6 IS the key Platform for continued Camaro success...PERIOD!
Thanks for stating the obvious... still has nothing to do with the thread or whether there will be a 1LE option. The 1LE is a low production option for us nutcase fanatics which is the point of this thread. Youve gone off on a tangent (and I've stupidly followed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
In this day and age, an up-optioned V-6 like the rumored "executive edition" will do more to promote V6 sales than taking away options.
Absolutely... a low option fast car, while great, does not a high volume car make....

Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #59
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
BIW... What more do you want?

...For GM to put it together for ya?

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #60
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
BIW... What more do you want?

...For GM to put it together for ya?
Because building a BIW from the ground up is cost and time prohibitive for someone who just wants to race showroom stock, AS, or pro-level autocross, and classes like that. Not everyone who goes racing has a full race shop to build a car like that.... a LOT goes into building a BIW....

And a 1LE car can be used on the street as well...

Old 12-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #61
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Thanks for stating the obvious... still has nothing to do with the thread or whether there will be a 1LE option. The 1LE is a low production option for us nutcase fanatics which is the point of this thread. Youve gone off on a tangent (and I've stupidly followed).

Absolutely... a low option fast car, while great, does not a high volume car make....
A 1LE option would be very low volume and one that we (for those who like a 1LE stripper/sleeper) will likely have to build ourselves...either using an LS or a 1SS as the basis.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #62
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post

Also agreed...but that is fodder for another thread...

Regardless of whether "more is better", "less is more", or ???, the V6 is CLEARLY what GM, Camaro, the public and CAFE must have...in more flavors... a recipe Ford has used very successfully since '64, continuously...

2015 (and its debilitating mpg requirements) is not that far away...and the current fuel-swilling 6.0 L+ V8s in porcine chassis, as well-engineered as they are, are doomed beyond that date. The future starts right about now... Lighter is better, carbon footprint IS a reality, and nimble is best...
Old 12-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #63
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

Regardless of whether "more is better", "less is more", or ???, the V6 is CLEARLY what GM, Camaro, the public and CAFE must have...in more flavors... a recipe Ford has used very successfully since '64, continuously...

2015 (and its debilitating mpg requirements) is not that far away...and the current fuel-swilling 6.0 L+ V8s in porcine chassis, as well-engineered as they are, are doomed beyond that date. The future starts right about now... Lighter is better, carbon footprint IS a reality, and nimble is best...
Bah, screw carbon footprint. I am gonna buy a 2014 if that's the last of the V8's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #64
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:

The CAFE standards have to be in place by 2016, not 2015, and they are for fleet averages...some V-8's can still exist beyond 2016.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #65
Austin45
Poor College Kid

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I was doing some searching about the 1LE (I didn't find what I was looking for ) and stumbled upon this thread. I found it interesting and thought some of you might think the same. I thought I would revive it for the fun of reading the speculation from 2009.

Enjoy!