Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Canada Leafs

Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Interior Trim Kit - Another Rip Off In the Great White North

OK Canuckle Heads. Once again we get shafted by our "friendly" Canadian dealers. I've been eyeing this part for some time at www.gmpartsdirect.com. Go to their website and punch 92241174 in their search.

I'm sure you've all seen it before, but it's always been "unavailable"...until now that is. I received an email from them that this part is now in stock and at their listed, discounted price.

So, I figured what the hell, let's try a local dealer. I called one up and got their parts desk to look up the number. Loh and behold, they have it in their system and can get one in from "the product source" which means which ever company in the US that produces it. "Great", I said, "how much?".

Wait for it......
C$1114!!!! (and change).

What the hell is wrong with Canadian dealers and their parts dept. This item is produced in the US, how much bloody shipping and duty do they pay to get it up here? Have they looked at the exchange rate lately? I'm just completely fed up with our Canadian dealers and their price gouging! I refused to buy all "dealer" added GM accessories from them. Go online and check out the stoopid prices they ask for at the www.gm.ca site and compare them to www.gmpartsdirect.com.

When I ordered the Camaro, the salesman asked why I didn't get the accessories too (coloured engine cover, car cover, cargo net, etc). I told him to give me a discount and he just looked at me like I was speaking Klingon. I told him about the US parts online retailers and he just shrugged his shoulders and blew it off like he was sarcastically wishing me good luck trying to buy that stuff down there.

Makes me madder than hell!!
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
camarorick

Drives: .
The sad part is that someone will pay this....

I had to replace my opti-spark on my LT1 a few years back..... $1100.00 in Canada, and $327 in the U.S. even with duties / shipping / exchange ( which was 24% at the time ), it was still less than half of the Canadian price.

Another example.... I pulled a door panel off the SS to try the ABL extension on the door, and broke several clips. I go over to the dealer, and I'm quoted $10 each.... EACH ( $10 for a little piece of plastic, W.T.F. !!!! ).... Well, I buy them, 'cause I figure new car, and I have no choice..... I started checking online, and find that these clips are used on other GM vehicles, and that I could get a box of 15 pieces for $10..... Brought back the clips to the dealer, told them I bought online for pennies each..... The parts guy smiled, and told me he also buys from the states

Send an E-mail, or call Dave @ Newman ( CamaroScotty ) for the trim pieces.... He's Canadian friendly

B.T.W, here are the part numbers for those clips in case anyone needs them. There are two different clips for the door.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EOIBSA:CA:1123

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EOIBSA:CA:1123
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Ebay or Camaro Scotty's parts guy are your friends when you are Canadian and looking for car parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
drksthr
.dead in ditches.

Drives: 2006 Mustang
have you considered shipping it to a UPS store at the border and picking it up there and bringing it over?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksthr View Post
have you considered shipping it to a UPS store at the border and picking it up there and bringing it over?
Done this many times, works like a charm.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
coolman

at least you have cheap drugs.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian GP View Post
Done this many times, works like a charm.
I do it through Freeport Forwarding in Champlain, NY,. 45 Minutes from Montreal. Save a bundle especially when there is free shipping involved.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
drugs for parts,, sounds good....lol
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
at least you have cheap drugs.
Drugs are partially subsidized through healthcare. Believe me its paid for in the taxes. And not all, a friend of the family has some bad spinal cancer. He takes pills 20 days on and 10 off. Each pill is.......................300dollars. $6000.00 a month. no BS.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
We sell to Canada...

You just have to pay duites and taxes...
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
We sell to Canada...

You just have to pay duites and taxes...
I thought you didn't get charged duty on car parts due to the NAFTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
Octaneman

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
You should NOT have to pay duties on items made in USA, Mexico and other free trading pardners.

The vendor needs to supply Nafta paperwork, or at minimum a low value nafta they just sign.

If they do not, the freight companies like UPS, FEDEX, etc will automatically charge you the duty as they are not going to do your paperwork for you,

If anyone needs a low value NAFTA certicate, good for up to 1600.00 I believe, you should be able to get it of Canada's Nafta website, or PM me with a fax number and I can forward you a blank certificate.

We try to be competiive on most parts, but in some cases you can't beat some of the deals out there, you might as well put the change in your pocket
2014 Camaro Z28- "RED HOT" arrived, played with and sold
2014 Camaro ZL1- "RED HOT" received - stage 6
Octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Be VERY careful who you order from, and get a FIRM quote on shipping/handling charges to your intended destination. Some companies offer lowlow price$...and gouge the hell outta ya with excessive shipping/handling charges...

GM Canada MSRP dealer prices are set by GM Canada. Ask your local dealer, through your salesperson or other contact, for "trade" pricing. They just might...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
LOL Thats for corporations. As standard in canada if you are an individual you get fisted, to take up the financial slack that companies have free trade.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Be VERY careful who you order from, and get a FIRM quote on shipping/handling charges to your intended destination. Some companies offer lowlow price$...and gouge the hell outta ya with excessive shipping/handling charges...

GM Canada MSRP dealer prices are set by GM Canada. Ask your local dealer, through your salesperson or other contact, for "trade" pricing. They just might...
No amount of discount from the local dealers will be able to make up for this part's huge price gap. At today's exchange rate, the trim pieces would be about C$340. Even if they double the price with shipping, you're still $400 ahead of the Canadian dealer cost.

What a total joke.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
Rickerbucks

Drives: 2 SS RS,
The parts pricing in Canada for GM stuff is absolutely criminal. I seroiusly don't know how they are able to quote with a straight face.

I built out my '97 WS6 to 700 HP and I have a caddy CTS -V. I buy all my parts in the US and ship to Blaine and go pick up. I have the hassle of the border crossing and I declare ALL my parts.

My most recent situation was that GM in Richmond quoted me $2000 to replace rotors and pads . Although they did offer me a discount because I was p**sed that they had not replaced them under my service plan. I was LIVID. "Special price" of $1650 total.

I ordered the more expensive performance OEM slotted rotors and Hawk pads from a Dealer in the US and installed them myself. TOTAL cost was about $1000 CDN. As far as I was concerned that was $1000 I should never have had to pay. After ten years of going to that dealer with my 97 TA and '04 CTS they lost me forever.

Once you are through warranty NEVER buy parts in Canada. HOWEVER, be careful about the overnight couriers as they will often charge $30 - $70 "brokerage" fee and that is not going to be worth it on a small value part if you cannot pick up in the states. In that case, INSIST that the part be sent by US Postal service. Only a flat $5. service fee.
Rickerbucks is offline   Reply With Quote