Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
PolishMike
 
PolishMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tracy/San Diego CA
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
I have a dumb question. GM has offered a performance exhaust, shorty headers and shifter for this car. Like most we ordered from the factory but due to circumstances beyond our control we had to change because it was not available. SO let me ask, if these mods were available from the factory would the ar have been any differently tuned, also since they are now available from GMPP it seems like it will not void the warranty if I am correct in my assumptions. What do you think
From what the Service manager said at a local dealership when I asked him -

Chevrolet and the dealer network are not required to warranty these items. A specific dealer can offer a warranty on installed parts (exhaust, supercharger, ect) but it does not necessarily carry over. You have to be careful here because they make a ton of money on labor and will do everything possible to sell you this. For example, if you get a supercharger installed at a dealer in Florida (and when you ask em if it voids your warranty they say "no") and you break down in PA, the dealership in PA most likely will not fix your car under warranty because they are not required to.

Note - This is what one service manager at one dealership said. Take it with a grain of salt as I do not know the official Chevy policy on this.
__________________
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline  
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE
 
Dr Jkel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oxford, Alabama
Posts: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Ive said this in other threads -

Every time I see someone offer a MODIFICATION for a car someone asks if it will void the warranty. In short -
IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR WARRANTY 100% DO NOT MODIFY YOUR CAR

Every modification will void some part of your warranty. A dealer has no responsibility to fix, under warranty, anything that was modified after it left the dealership and trust me, they WILL use every excuse possible.

It is good to know your rights, but it takes money to use them and the dealerships know this. It is usually going to be cheaper to repair the car yourself than fight it out in court. I know that the dealer will eventually be required to pay lawyer fees IF you win, but you will still be out a lot of money up front and your car will be down in the meantime.

I have a decent background modifying cars and dealing with dealerships and my message is this - If you cannot afford to pay to fix something YOU broke modifying your car, DO NOT MODIFY IT.

All the more reason for this question, If GM installs the Mods on your car, GM Performance exhaust, and GM shorty headers, options from the factory albeit not available it should be like anything else on the car, Warrantied, Right?
__________________
MUSTANG...Like Bringing a Hot Dog to a Steak Dinner....There is no comparison.
Dr Jkel is offline  
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
PolishMike
 
PolishMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tracy/San Diego CA
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc89 View Post
Does after market exhaust void the warranty? Such as a Borla cat-back system?
Again, they will not "void" your ENTIRE warranty.
BUT if you go to your dealer complaining of rattle under the car they most likely will not fix it. If you have a problem with your engine they will do everything in their power to blame it on the exhaust. At that point you will have 2 choices

A) Pay the $XXXX to fix the car somewhere other than dealership

B) Pay $XXXX to lawyers (that you may or may not eventually get back) fighting the dealership in court to maybe eventually fix your car in a year or so.

Your choice.
__________________
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline  
Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
PolishMike
 
PolishMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tracy/San Diego CA
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
All the more reason for this question, If GM installs the Mods on your car, GM Performance exhaust, and GM shorty headers, options from the factory albeit not available it should be like anything else on the car, Warrantied, Right?
Read the post above. If it is an option from the factory and is on your invoice then your probably good, HOWEVER, I would not get anything installed without something in writing from a REGIONAL manager stating that your warranty will not be affected (for anything after taking delivery)

I had this problem with a short shifter on my STi. They did not have any in stock at the time of delivery so I took the car how it was and brought it back a week later for the shifter install. Fast forward a year and 300 miles south. The lockout cable (prevents it from going into reverse without lifting the paddle on the shifter) broke. I went to a different dealer and they would not fix it. Eventually got with the regional rep and he said that because it wasnt on the invoice and done before pickup it would not be covered. I argued with them for a month and after getting Subaru of America (corporate) involved the dealer called me offering to pay for half of the repair. At that point I didnt have time to fight it anymore and had to get it done.
__________________
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline  
Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE
 
Dr Jkel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oxford, Alabama
Posts: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Read the post above. If it is an option from the factory and is on your invoice then your probably good, HOWEVER, I would not get anything installed without something in writing from a REGIONAL manager stating that your warranty will not be affected (for anything after taking delivery)

I had this problem with a short shifter on my STi. They did not have any in stock at the time of delivery so I took the car how it was and brought it back a week later for the shifter install. Fast forward a year and 300 miles south. The lockout cable (prevents it from going into reverse without lifting the paddle on the shifter) broke. I went to a different dealer and they would not fix it. Eventually got with the regional rep and he said that because it wasnt on the invoice and done before pickup it would not be covered. I argued with them for a month and after getting Subaru of America (corporate) involved the dealer called me offering to pay for half of the repair. At that point I didnt have time to fight it anymore and had to get it done.
Thanks for the info, I will definately discuss this and get it in writing before doing anything
__________________
MUSTANG...Like Bringing a Hot Dog to a Steak Dinner....There is no comparison.
Dr Jkel is offline  
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #20
Magoo
 
Drives: 86 Buick T-Type
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6
My Dealer will warranty any add-ons but GM won't. Their Comment not mine. Also anytime any PCM mods are done (re-flash) it sets a permanent code that can't be removed. The ALDL harness has a internal code sensor that records this. Even replacing the PCM won't remove the code. Someone will make a replacement harness that will fix this? Vendors? Gene
Magoo is offline  
Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
carguy
Carguy
 
Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Freeport,IL
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Ive said this in other threads -

Every time I see someone offer a MODIFICATION for a car someone asks if it will void the warranty. In short -
IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR WARRANTY 100% DO NOT MODIFY YOUR CAR

Every modification will void some part of your warranty. A dealer has no responsibility to fix, under warranty, anything that was modified after it left the dealership and trust me, they WILL use every excuse possible.

It is good to know your rights, but it takes money to use them and the dealerships know this. It is usually going to be cheaper to repair the car yourself than fight it out in court. I know that the dealer will eventually be required to pay lawyer fees IF you win, but you will still be out a lot of money up front and your car will be down in the meantime.

I have a decent background modifying cars and dealing with dealerships and my message is this - If you cannot afford to pay to fix something YOU broke modifying your car, DO NOT MODIFY IT.
Absolutely Untrue....

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Thanks SEMA we love ya man...



Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0cuElkzZZ

My dealer replaced My tranny after Supercharger installed LT headers, flow thru cats, Corsa exhaust, RIP shift short throw shifter, Hennesy CAI and Tune... They even did all the installs!

Also replaced a friends Tranny twice who had same setup as mine...He blew second gear twice from miss shifting and they repaired it with new tranny twice.

In summary if they can prove the mods actually caused the failure than your out of luck. My dealer didn't even blink. Just fixed and quickly !
carguy is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #22
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester
Posts: 460
Does Modifying My Car Void my Warranty?

Does Modifying My Car Void my Warranty?

Maybe this will help clear things up a bit for commonly asked questions.

http://************.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/does-modifying-my-2010-camaro-void-my-warranty/
MoranoRacing is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #23
The_Blur
Rock Chalk
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: Demon Super Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,688
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
These threads are now merged. Continue your discussion of warranty rights. Everyone should know about their rights as a consumer.
The_Blur is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #24
camarorad
Out of my way
 
camarorad's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: a long empty road
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The law requires people to enforce it with their lawyers if it is broken. That is true of almost every law. Tuners are testing the limits of the law. Expect dealers to push back a little. I'm just letting you know of your rights. If these rights are violated, you have a right to sue.

I think its the degree of how easily or difficult it is to enforce. Its all well and good to go quoting M-M to the dealer claiming your legitamacy, but the bottom line is if they say no then that's it. Sure you can go to court, but they will no doubt have a whole army of lawyers ready to come at it from every angle, some which you may not even have thought of. Most of us don't have the time or money to go through with this. The corporates do.

I don't agree that every law requires litigation to enforce. If the party believes it is likely result in a net loss, they will avoid litigation. The net loss doesn't necessarily refer only to that specific case, but the precendent that case sets for future cases. If they think they can win or at least outlast their opponent, they will go to court. Chances are they have much deeper pockets than the consumer.
__________________
camarorad is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #25
The_Blur
Rock Chalk
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: Demon Super Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,688
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorad View Post
I think its the degree of how easily or difficult it is to enforce. Its all well and good to go quoting M-M to the dealer claiming your legitamacy, but the bottom line is if they say no then that's it. Sure you can go to court, but they will no doubt have a whole army of lawyers ready to come at it from every angle, some which you may not even have thought of. Most of us don't have the time or money to go through with this. The corporates do.

I don't agree that every law requires litigation to enforce. If the party believes it is likely result in a net loss, they will avoid litigation. The net loss doesn't necessarily refer only to that specific case, but the precendent that case sets for future cases. If they think they can win or at least outlast their opponent, they will go to court. Chances are they have much deeper pockets than the consumer.
Unfortunately, there's a big separation between the way the world should be and the way it is. :( We should be able to have our warranty issues evaluated without having to refer to the law. If everyone did what they were supposed to do, then we would have no need for law enforcement.
The_Blur is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #26
camarorad
Out of my way
 
camarorad's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: a long empty road
Posts: 98
yeah, totally agree

__________________
camarorad is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
GaryTucker
 
Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
Absolutely Untrue....

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Thanks SEMA we love ya man...



Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0cuElkzZZ

My dealer replaced My tranny after Supercharger installed LT headers, flow thru cats, Corsa exhaust, RIP shift short throw shifter, Hennesy CAI and Tune... They even did all the installs!

Also replaced a friends Tranny twice who had same setup as mine...He blew second gear twice from miss shifting and they repaired it with new tranny twice.

In summary if they can prove the mods actually caused the failure than your out of luck. My dealer didn't even blink. Just fixed and quickly !

And I'm sure SEMA is going to pay your lawyer fees IF your warranty is voided for modifications...this is the elephant in the room that everyone chooses to ignore. As was stated earlier...it is up to YOU (the claimant) to fight with a dealer or manufacturer that denies your warranty claim. The fact that the dealer above replaced transmissions under warranty for cars that were obviously beyond the capabilities of said transmissions is the reason that GM is getting tougher on repairs.

If you can't take responsibility for modifications and their outcomes...and afford those responsibilities...then don't mod your car. Don't continue to drive up the cost of new cars by driving up warranty costs for items that should not be warrantied.
GaryTucker is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
Bonemaro

 
Bonemaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, Mi.
Posts: 1,692
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
This may or may not help. It is straight from the manual so it has credibility.


Bonemaro is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Tags
ftc, law, void warranty, warranty

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the V6 have DBW or a good old fashioned cable throttle? theholycow Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 41 08-02-2009 08:25 PM
GM Warranty During Restructuring CamaroScotty Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 27 03-24-2009 08:07 PM
Warranty Disclosure of Non-GM Products odie23 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 0 10-10-2008 08:40 AM
Lifetime Powertrain Waranty....from Chrysler?!!? Mr. Wyndham General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 22 08-16-2007 04:16 PM
GM Adds Used-Car Powertrain Warranty KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 02-06-2007 07:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.