Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #51
Koru
 
Koru's Avatar
 
Drives: 201? Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 103
Why is Fbodfather (or anyone of that rank) being silent on this issue?
__________________

Last edited by Koru; 10-10-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Koru is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #52
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koru View Post
Why is Fbodfather (or anyone of that rank) being silent on this issue?
Because they can see the reaction they'll get just fine by reading here. Once the enthusiasts order their cars (or not) and the general public starts asking for blue, they might reconsider.
rolnslo is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #53
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Because they can see the reaction they'll get just fine by reading here. Once the enthusiasts order their cars (or not) and the general public starts asking for blue, they might reconsider.
I don't think that's very fair to the enthsiasts which are the most dedicated to this product.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #54
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I don't think that's very fair to the enthsiasts which are the most dedicated to this product.

I didn't say it was fair. I certainly don't understand it. Take Red Jewel as an example. Buy an LS and you can't have it. Buy anything else and you can. What's the difference on the body between and LS and an LT? Foglights. Why can't they paint an LS in Red Jewel then?
rolnslo is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #55
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I didn't say it was fair. I certainly don't understand it. Take Red Jewel as an example. Buy an LS and you can't have it. Buy anything else and you can. What's the difference on the body between and LS and an LT? Foglights. Why can't they paint an LS in Red Jewel then?
I agree. Makes no sense.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #56
ChrisL
 
Drives: 2000 Firehawk #295
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange Co, NY
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koru View Post
Why is Fbodfather (or anyone of that rank) being silent on this issue?
Not that I'm "anyone of rank" but I was one of the focus group participants. I got the confirmation directly from Cheryl Pilcher.

They cant be everywhere all the time. Scott is insanely busy at work.

It's a done deal. There is no blue. Read the ordering guide. It was something I was told I couldn't confirm until the consumer ordering info went public.

As I said in my initial post confirming this, if blue is a deal breaker for you, be sure to let your dealer know when you ask for your deposit back.
__________________
My fleet -
His - 2000 Firehawk #295
Hers - 2004 GTO
Boys - 2008 Yukon XL Denali
ChrisL is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #57
13F20
 
Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GA, soon to be KS.
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
This is official. Blue is not available on SS. I've known but was unable to confirm due to my non-disclosure agreement with GM. Now that the consumer ordering guide is out, I can indeed confirm.

There is no "technical" reason why blue can't be done. The ONLY way to possibly get blue back on the palate for SS is through customer demand.

You know GM is reading this board. Keep the comments constructful. Those ready to buy, who will pass since blue is not available, should communicate that to their local dealerships too.
I have a good mind to just get my camaro SS custom painted the blue of my choice. Also get the rally stripes painted on my self. I just can fatham why Gm wont offer the Camaro SS in blue. The IBM would have looked very nice with the red SS badge you would get from ordering the SS/ RS. I just dont get it.
13F20 is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #58
ChrisL
 
Drives: 2000 Firehawk #295
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange Co, NY
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
I have a good mind to just get my camaro SS custom painted the blue of my choice. Also get the rally stripes painted on my self. I just can fatham why Gm wont offer the Camaro SS in blue. The IBM would have looked very nice with the red SS badge you would get from ordering the SS/ RS. I just dont get it.
I dont either, and I made that very clear to Cheryl. She knows I drive a NBM Firehawk.
__________________
My fleet -
His - 2000 Firehawk #295
Hers - 2004 GTO
Boys - 2008 Yukon XL Denali
ChrisL is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #59
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
To everyone in the know with the inside scoop and the NDA's.... did they give a REASON for the lack of blue???!?!
Captain Awesome is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #60
ChrisL
 
Drives: 2000 Firehawk #295
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange Co, NY
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
To everyone in the know with the inside scoop and the NDA's.... did they give a REASON for the lack of blue???!?!
not one I can discuss in detail. sorry.

again, consumer demand could possibly change that. let your dealer know. money talks.
__________________
My fleet -
His - 2000 Firehawk #295
Hers - 2004 GTO
Boys - 2008 Yukon XL Denali
ChrisL is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #61
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
so, I must change my original story to Tag about the three blues that were available on the Mustang... there is now only one blue color available on the Mustang, but it is available on both the V6 and the GT, at all levels of trim.


this is a HORRIBLE idea... who offers YELLOW, but doesn't offer BLUE on a top end car? this is going to be a deal braker for ALOT of people and alot of those people are NOT on car forums... they're people that are day to day drivers that GM would probably have sold an SS to, but can't sell a V6 to because they dont have a NEED for a V6... they're older enthusiasts and people who are on the fence... they are Mustang GT drivers who like their car, but would like a change... and a Camaro would have filled that desire... but, instead, a Challenger R/T will be their new car... these lost sales cannot be counted like posts on an internet forum... these lost sales cannot be measured by anything other than "what could have been" reasoning... and if you have any doubts as to what dropping something that would have been, maybe, 10-20% of sales, lets ask Chrysler/Dodge how smart it was to discontinue the 2 dr Neon... after they discontinued it, Neon sales dropped off and even a redesign didn't save it... all because the 2dr Neon was less than 20% of Neon sales... by GM offering a 2dr Cavalier and Ford offering a 2dr Focus and Escort, they took those 40,000 cars away from Dodge and the car's viability slipped... and, eventually, the Caliber is what we got to replace it.


GM, this is an oversight that you CANNOT AFFORD TO MAKE... the SS is NOT the SRT8... it is NOT the GT500... it is NOT the car that "only a few" will buy... its the ENTHUSIAST car, and to limit the choices the enthusiasts have is to slap the face of the customers and faithful who have kept the dream alive... it is an insult to those of us who have "kept the faith"... it is a defiance of those that you have asked to help you... and it is something that will not be accepted or tolerated by this key, important group of buyers... by doing this, GM, you have alienated several and discouraged the loyal... you, GM, have a responsibility to us to allow choice... to allow personal tastes... and to offer multiples of other colors and no blues is like Henry Ford saying about the Model T, "you can have it any color you want, as long as it's black."

if this were happening on a Z28 model, which would be limited production and have a pricetag somewhere in the area of the GT500 and SRT8, it wouldn't be an issue... if it were happening on a car that SLP was putting out, we, the enthusiasts, would look right over it... but this is OUR CAR, GM... and we, your loyal enthusiasts, are NOT HAPPY with your decision to tell us what we can and cannot have... especially when you offer it to the people who you willingly call your "mainstream" customers... the people you are trying to get away from Toyota, Ford, Nissan, et al... you acknowledge that the SS is targeted to the enthusiasts... why do you insult us now, when you need us the most?
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #62
nester7929
Rice Harvester
 
nester7929's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 1,369
Guys, if you want blue, just get the damn thing painted. You could even get a Camaro in white and leave part of it white for a striping effect.

In no way should this be a deal breaker.

Besides, maybe they're saving a Le Mans-type blue for another model... That's one of the only reasons that makes sense, especially since ChrisL said they can't talk about it.
nester7929 is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #63
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Guys, if you want blue, just get the damn thing painted.
that's not the point, sir... and to imply that it is "just that easy," is to ignore that if you buy a car for $XX,XXX, then you have to add $3,000 worth of paint to it to get a color that is OFFERED on the V6 model, is preposterous... read my post above and you'll see that this is as much a slap to the enthusiast as it is a limiting of color choices.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #64
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post

Besides, maybe they're saving a Le Mans-type blue for another model...
they're not... they might, however, be saving another color choice for the 2011 model year.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #65
nester7929
Rice Harvester
 
nester7929's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 1,369
Really no way to tell. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
that's not the point, sir... and to imply that it is "just that easy," is to ignore that if you buy a car for $XX,XXX, then you have to add $3,000 worth of paint to it to get a color that is OFFERED on the V6 model, is preposterous... read my post above and you'll see that this is as much a slap to the enthusiast as it is a limiting of color choices.
I did read your post above, I just think you may be overreacting a little bit. I certainly didn't imply it was easy to repaint the car. If you wanted blue, yeah it sucks, but it's not like you can't get an SS at all. A color choice should never be a deal-breaker, especially not with the features the SS has and the quality of the other colors.

Cyber gray or red for me.
nester7929 is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #66
Raven
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Z28
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Just South of Austin, TX
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
that's not the point, sir... and to imply that it is "just that easy," is to ignore that if you buy a car for $XX,XXX, then you have to add $3,000 worth of paint to it to get a color that is OFFERED on the V6 model, is preposterous... read my post above and you'll see that this is as much a slap to the enthusiast as it is a limiting of color choices.
If you have ever had a car repainted a different color...you know it's NOT cheap.

What's the big damn secret about the "no blue SS" anyways?
__________________
2012 45th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS - "Orion"
2001 NBP Z28 - "Raven" -- 2006 Black Tahoe - "Zeus"
2009 Stryker Blue Metallic G8 GT - "Stryker"
Raven is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #67
nester7929
Rice Harvester
 
nester7929's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
If you have ever had a car repainted a different color...you know it's NOT cheap.
I know it's not inexpensive. I was just saying if you're absolutely set on blue it's still a possibility.
nester7929 is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #68
camarorick

 
camarorick's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: .
Posts: 2,102
Thank you for this post !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
so, I must change my original story to Tag about the three blues that were available on the Mustang... there is now only one blue color available on the Mustang, but it is available on both the V6 and the GT, at all levels of trim.


this is a HORRIBLE idea... who offers YELLOW, but doesn't offer BLUE on a top end car? this is going to be a deal braker for ALOT of people and alot of those people are NOT on car forums... they're people that are day to day drivers that GM would probably have sold an SS to, but can't sell a V6 to because they dont have a NEED for a V6... they're older enthusiasts and people who are on the fence... they are Mustang GT drivers who like their car, but would like a change... and a Camaro would have filled that desire... but, instead, a Challenger R/T will be their new car... these lost sales cannot be counted like posts on an internet forum... these lost sales cannot be measured by anything other than "what could have been" reasoning... and if you have any doubts as to what dropping something that would have been, maybe, 10-20% of sales, lets ask Chrysler/Dodge how smart it was to discontinue the 2 dr Neon... after they discontinued it, Neon sales dropped off and even a redesign didn't save it... all because the 2dr Neon was less than 20% of Neon sales... by GM offering a 2dr Cavalier and Ford offering a 2dr Focus and Escort, they took those 40,000 cars away from Dodge and the car's viability slipped... and, eventually, the Caliber is what we got to replace it.


GM, this is an oversight that you CANNOT AFFORD TO MAKE... the SS is NOT the SRT8... it is NOT the GT500... it is NOT the car that "only a few" will buy... its the ENTHUSIAST car, and to limit the choices the enthusiasts have is to slap the face of the customers and faithful who have kept the dream alive... it is an insult to those of us who have "kept the faith"... it is a defiance of those that you have asked to help you... and it is something that will not be accepted or tolerated by this key, important group of buyers... by doing this, GM, you have alienated several and discouraged the loyal... you, GM, have a responsibility to us to allow choice... to allow personal tastes... and to offer multiples of other colors and no blues is like Henry Ford saying about the Model T, "you can have it any color you want, as long as it's black."

if this were happening on a Z28 model, which would be limited production and have a pricetag somewhere in the area of the GT500 and SRT8, it wouldn't be an issue... if it were happening on a car that SLP was putting out, we, the enthusiasts, would look right over it... but this is OUR CAR, GM... and we, your loyal enthusiasts, are NOT HAPPY with your decision to tell us what we can and cannot have... especially when you offer it to the people who you willingly call your "mainstream" customers... the people you are trying to get away from Toyota, Ford, Nissan, et al... you acknowledge that the SS is targeted to the enthusiasts... why do you insult us now, when you need us the most?
camarorick is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #69
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
I did read your post above, I just think you may be overreacting a little bit. I certainly didn't imply it was easy to repaint the car. If you wanted blue, yeah it sucks, but it's not like you can't get an SS at all. A color choice should never be a deal-breaker, especially not with the features the SS has and the quality of the other colors.

Cyber gray or red for me.
and make no mistake, it ISNT a deal breaker to me... but it will be to others... we had already decided on a Cyber Gray car... so its not going to stop us... but what about others? what about people who dearly love blue as a color... and they'd willingly buy one if it was offered... but choose to keep their current car or buy another company's product because they can't get what they want from GM... Ford offers a blue... Dodge offers a blue... why is GM NOT offering a blue? haven't we had enough of GM telling us, the customers, "you can't have what you want" in reference to the Z28? why limit the possibilities on a car that GM is calling a "global car"? all we're asking for is answers or changes... either one is acceptable... but "we can't talk about it" is just plain silly.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #70
scotchsride09
It's STARSCREAM!!!
 
scotchsride09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Nissan Frontier S/C DR
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Really no way to tell. We'll have to wait and see.



I did read your post above, I just think you may be overreacting a little bit. I certainly didn't imply it was easy to repaint the car. If you wanted blue, yeah it sucks, but it's not like you can't get an SS at all. A color choice should never be a deal-breaker, especially not with the features the SS has and the quality of the other colors.

Cyber gray or red for me.
It would be a deal-breaker if like, for many of us, we are sacrificing whatever we can to get our dream car. And those of us who happen to feel if we're paying ~30K for a car, we darn well better be able to get it in blue.

(And I don't mean this flippantly but--) Forget JetStream Blue votes; GM I'm voting you add the SS in both blues to the lineup! I don't want an LT/ LS!! I want my 422 hp blue bullet!
__________________
Did I mention I have a sense of humor?

Right now it's an '03 Nissan Frontier Supercharged Desert Runner I call Starscream.

On order is a 1SS/ RS IBM with Black Rally Stripes, Beige Interior, manual transmission and a sunroof! Oh, and a stereo upgrade too! Ordered from CamaroScotty in WI. How will I get my baby home?
scotchsride09 is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #71
13F20
 
Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: GA, soon to be KS.
Posts: 675
It is not a cheep job to do. Tow get the car redone in the color i am getting will cost me around $5K, for a basic job. That is taking all body panels off stripping the whole car down and repainting it. To get the job done i want will cost me around $10K. That is because if i am going to get it done then i will get it done right the first time, and Tom is who will get my business in this case. Some of you may know him as the LittleWiesel.
13F20 is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #72
Tantalizer43

 
Tantalizer43's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 1,358
I just think it's backwards to make 2 colors exclusive to the V6.

It would make more sense to make colors exclusive to the SS, you know, the baddest of the bad kinda deal.

I could be wrong, but I dont think you can order Cyber Grey on any model Corvette but the ZR1. Makes more sense than keeping it exclusive to the base corvette, and not the ZR1...

I'm getting Cyber Grey so maybe I'm discussing a moot point, but if Imperial Blue were specific to only the SS (rather than the current predicament), I'd pull the trigger on that instead...
__________________
Tantalizer43 is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #73
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,322
Cyber Gray is available on all Corvettes, not just the ZR1.
rolnslo is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #74
Stig
 
Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 125
I am going to try to explain my thoughts on this subject.

I know some of you are pissed and are upset, I started this thread because I noticed it and I was shocked.

But now after thinking about it for a while, I have come to some conclusions about both the Blue color situation, and Red Jewel situation...

Red Jewel is an extra $$$ paint option, to offer it on the base car is in a way, contradicting itself. Why would GM put an extra cost option on a car that most people want to buy because it is cheap...hence, the BASE MODEL. Personally, if I was looking for a base car, I wouldnt want to spend extra money on a paint job....so that is my reasoning there.

As for the 2 blue colors...Blue's have never historically or modernly been a "performance color"...(I know some will argue with me on this... ) But it hasnt...I think the SS is more of a performance sports machine, where the V-6 models are more of an everyday car that people would be able to get more options/colors on.

I know it may not make sense, but if you think about it logically, there is a reason for it, and GM does have a business case to make. So PERSONALLY I can totally understand why they did it.

I just wanted to voice my thoughts...sorry to all the people who love blue and wanted an SS....as for me, its Cyber Gray or Victory Red
Stig is offline  
Old 10-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #75
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,876
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
GM, I want an Imperial Blue Metallic SS. I was thinking about black but awhile ago I settled on imp blue.

with many of you, I agree that it makes little sense to make some colours specific to the V6's. If there were specific to the SS it might make more sense. But that is not the case. This is the first time that I've ever been disappointed in the new Camaro. I'm now in with those who are upset that there is no HUD at launch, or the SS front end, or any number of details. I hope that, like the HUD, this will get resolved by the time I am ready to order.

Is it a deal breaker? No. But a 30k+ starting price for the SS1 without imperial blue might be. That would be too much for a car in a colour that I don't want.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OFFICIAL 2010 Camaro Specifications (full tech specs PDF inside) Tran Guides, Manuals, Bulletins, Documentation Archive 394 06-11-2010 06:16 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM
Pic request: Imperial Blue Metallic / Aqua Blue Metallic JameSS Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 38 11-08-2009 03:20 PM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 04:38 PM
Camaro LS / LT / RS / SS specs and options! CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 119 09-02-2008 09:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.