Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Pwner50

Drives: 98 toyota avalon XLS
Is a Camaro for me?

Hey guys, I'm currently checking out cars for my college commute later this year, and I had a question. My commute from home to college is about 20 min long, and is primarily on the highway. I'm in the lower NY state area (about an hour north of NYC) and I was wandering if a Camaro would be a good choice. There have been some harsh snow days, but they are in low numbers compared to good drive able days. My area is usually plowed, so the ground is usually wet, or if anything, the snow is maybe half an inch high (or less). I currently have a FWD car, and I don't take it out during the snow. But the only reason I worry is in case I have to take a test, and can't afford to miss it. From my browsing of this forum, many of you will say just drive the Avalon in the snow. Sadly, my driveway is thin, so only 2 cars can stay inside (my parents' cars) and mine is parked in the 1 car driveway, so I won't have a car I can use for the snow. And btw, my parents use their cars to get to work, so I can't just take theirs.

Any suggestions for dealing with the snow? Or should I consider another car?

and P.S. I don't go skiing or snowboarding.

thanks
Pwner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
mackvenom1

Drives: 2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport 4M
Send a message via AIM to mackvenom1
I live in Westchester. The snow can be bad at times, but I have the ability to login and work from home. I have a 2LT/RS Automatic being ordered. I also plan on getting snow tires for the winter months. I hear there won't be any problem.

4WD cars help, but it's all about stopping in the snow, and 4WD doesn't help you do that any better.
mackvenom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: EMB 135/140/145+2010 IBM 2SS
Not great as an only car in the snow belt IMO. It can be done, but I think i personally would get something frontwheel drive, AWD or 4x4.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
Hey Pwner50 -
The Camaro isn't a snow-goddess, but then lots of cars are not. Look around, if you see Mustangs getting to and from school in the winter, you will be able to do so. Think of all the rear wheel drive vans and trucks out there. The trucks might have better ground clearance, but they are pushing with rears like your Camaro. AWD and FWD are better for snow, but RWD vehicles have been around a long time...all year 'round.

Just depends on whether you need to choose your 365 day a year car based on a few snowy days. That comes down to how many of those days there are, and how bad they are when you would drive something else but not the Camaro.

I chose to leave off the RS package because the different width wheels (8" in front, 9" in rear) and Pirelli Summer Max performance tires mean you would really need either a second set of wheels and snow tires, or some really expensive snow tires for your RS wheels. By the way, the RS tires run about $400 per corner of the car to replace + installation and fees. And being different widths and directional, you can't rotate them. That adds up to a lot of tire expense, likely every 12-16k miles. Ouch.

Have no doubt, you would love to drive to school in a Camaro.

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Pwner50

I also live in Westchester. If you were in my spot (not being able to log in from home), would you go for a Camaro, or just stick to a FWD or AWD car? Just from your experiences of dealing with snow in the area, since it happens on and off.

I haven't been to colleges yet (I'm about to graduate high school) and I don't know what levels of snow they close down for. I guess I'll have to contact the school, but can anyone tell me what their schools usually do?

And I do know about snow tires and the sandbag in the trunk thing, but I don't think snow tires are very good because usually, it snows for 1 day, then the rest of the week the roads are dry and the snow melts along the sides of the roads. This happens once every few weeks, so snow if fairly rare. And from what research I have done, snow tires aren't good for driving in anything aside from snow, unless I'm wrong of course.

EDIT:

And GreyGhost, I guess that is a fairly valid point. I do have a teacher and a student who drive to school/work in mustangs, and they don't seem to have problems (form what I see). I guess I can go ask them about their experiences. If I had to take a guess, I'd say there were maybe about... 4-6 days of snow this winter... I could be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

-thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
coolman

No, not a good car for you. Keep it sensible until you get out of school and get a job.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Pwner50

@coolman:

I have worked at different places already, so I do have some work experience. And this car is for college, or a graduation present for high school. I won't get it before that. And by the way, I'm paying for half the car, including the whole tax and any accessories I choose.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
My Camaro is a daily driver and I have to be at work everyday. I have put pirelli scorpions on heritage wheels for the winter. The car handles very good in the snow if you take it easy on. This also saves wear and tear on my other tires which are quite a bit more expensive. Your weather is pretty similar to what I see in Ma. and I have really no problems.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Pwner50

@Nutbutt
What do you mean by "pirelli scorpions on heritage wheels"? Are the Pirelli Scorpions All season tires, Winter tires, or some awesome mix? I don't know much about wheels, as you can see.

thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwner50 View Post
@coolman:

I have worked at different places already, so I do have some work experience. And this car is for college, or a graduation present for high school. I won't get it before that. And by the way, I'm paying for half the car, including the whole tax and any accessories I choose.
I don't think you got what I was saying. Anyhow do what you want. Only you know if it's right for you. I know I will never let my kid drive this type of car for a college car. Very impractical for that purpose.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Pwner50

I do understand where you are coming from. But just out of curiosity, can you tell me what are some reasons you wouldn't? I mean I know its RWD and insanely fast, along with the high insurance.

Also, I like it because not only is the Camaro a fast and sexy car, but 29 mpg highway even impresses my parents (primarily since my WHOLE travel to college and back will be only on the highway).
Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Nutbutt

Sorry, The scorpions are snow tires, and the heritage rims are the black steel wheels from an LS. I was able to get the rims and the tires for $1000 installed.

Quote:
@Nutbutt
What do you mean by "pirelli scorpions on heritage wheels"? Are the Pirelli Scorpions All season tires, Winter tires, or some awesome mix? I don't know much about wheels, as you can see.

thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Pwner50

@Nutbutt,

you said that you live in similar conditions to me (about 4-6 snow days?), so do you drive all year round in them? Or....

Isn't it true that driving snow tires in non-winter conditions not recommended?

thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
coolman

Quote:
I do understand where you are coming from. But just out of curiosity, can you tell me what are some reasons you wouldn't? I mean I know its RWD and insanely fast, along with the high insurance.

Also, I like it because not only is the Camaro a fast and sexy car, but 29 mpg highway even impresses my parents (primarily since my WHOLE travel to college and back will be only on the highway).
First off I guess I would have to ask what school are you going to? I know that seems silly to ask, but I think certain schools could handle a college guy driving around in this type of car better than others. I know if I had this kind of car when I was in college, It wouldn't have lasted a week without someone doing something to it.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Nutbutt

The harder rubber is actually better in the cold weather. Yes, it is my daily driver, 80 miles round trip, half highway, half back roads. I put the snow tires and wheels on mid Nov and will be taking them off and putting the 20 pirellis back on by the end or march when the daily temp are back into the 50's. I am tempted to go to 18 or 19s for the summer based on the cost of the 20's.

Quote:
@Nutbutt,

you said that you live in similar conditions to me (about 4-6 snow days?), so do you drive all year round in them? Or....

Isn't it true that driving snow tires in non-winter conditions not recommended?

thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
Pwner50

Yea, I have chosen a school considering the campus as well. The school I chose is Pace Univ. in Pleasantville / Briarcliff. The students there are friendly and polite (the ones I seen) and many people seem to drive nice cars. What do you think?

@Nutbutt
What about when during winter there is no snow and the ground is just dry, maybe a bit wet? You think it's necessary for wheels, or not needed for the 5 days of snow I usually get.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #17
coolman

Quote:
[B]Yea, I have chosen a school considering the campus as well. The school I chose is Pace Univ. in Pleasantville / Briarcliff. The students there are friendly and polite (the ones I seen) and many people seem to drive nice cars. What do you think?[B]
I think that does make a big difference. If you know it's not going to be a safety problem getting to school in bad weather and you feel comfortable leaving it sit all day during classes then I would say go for it. I drove a pinto to college when I was in school so that would be quite a step up. Good luck no matter what you decide.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #18
Nutbutt

I would get at least some all season tires for the winter. The scorpions are great on the dry pavement almost no road rumble from the tread. The Pzero nero's that come with the LTs and SS's make the car like an out of control bob sled on even the smallest amount of snow or even cold rain.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
mackvenom1

Congrats on Pace. I know a few people who went there and are doing just fine. The commute is mostly highway, but it is northbound. For me, it won't be easy because Yonkers is hilly as hell. I actually live at the top of a hill with no easy way to the top.

If it snows bad enough that the highways are not cleared, classes will be cancelled or delayed. Even if school is still in session, you can always cut class haha. I don't advocate that last point entirely but professors are people too and they will understand.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Maa107
Someone give me a Camaro!

Drives: '09HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
No, not a good car for you. Keep it sensible until you get out of school and get a job.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
Pwner50

@coolman
alright, thanks for the support. I'm still deciding whether to go with it, and I will still visit the college a few times for actual classes. I should get a pretty good idea then. But yea, if I went to a inner-city school, I would but a broken car lol.

@Nutbutt:
Yea, I wasn't planning on staying with the tires that come with it, but you think that for my position, all season tires are all I need? Or did you say that the scorpions are good for dry ground, like for summer time? And thanks for dealing with these newbie questions, I really don't know much about wheels.

@mackvenom1
Haha thanks. And yea, I guess I can miss 1 or 2 days out of the year. Also, around what times are the midterms and final exams taken? And yea, I'm only worried about important days at school; I don't go shopping or anything if the weather is too bad.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
mackvenom1

Finals are usually the second to third week of December and late May/ early June. Midterms are usually late October or early November and March. Tough to tell what tests and assignments you will have. Only finals tend to occur in the same week in college often, by design.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
Pwner50

Alright thanks. I'll go see the guidance counselor about the testing days for midterms. If they are not near the days that are predicted to give tons of snow, a Camaro would look better.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
Nutbutt

I would go with the Scorpions, they are almost the same price as other 18" tires, the tires are great in dry as well as rain and snow in the cold weather. And just in case you get more than a few inches of snow you will thank yourself for getting them. You could get away with some good all seasons though, just not the oem 20s you may get.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #25
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
You would definitely need a set of all seasons or some sort of winter tires if the model you get only has the Pirelli's on it. If the Camaro is the car you really want above anything else and you can afford it then you should go for it. Once you have a 5 year loan, unless you're rich then you'll probably be stuck with it for at least 2 to 3 years. I say get the car you really want & no matter which way you go every car is going to have pros and cons. It's just that with a rear wheel drive performance car isn't very good in the snow but is it worth missing out on for the other 8-9 months of the year and the many days during the winter when there isn't snow on the road? Those are the questions you have to think about.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote