Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Need advice for sway bars and springs/coilovers for LT.

So I've done exhaust and CAI, now I'm thinking about sway bars and springs/coilovers.

I don't plan on going to an autocross or any competitive driving course, the only non street driving I'd do would be going to the drag strip every once and a while. With that being said most of my driving is going to be just normal street driving. My roommate has a Corvette and last week we were going through a local park here with tons of twists and turns and I couldn't help but feel like i was driving a tug boat. Granted he did have a Corvette and I only have an LT so I wasn't expecting to be able to even compare to him. However I would like something to improve handling a little bit but not give up ride comfort too much.

I'd like to lower it just a little bit (for looks), I'd say at least an inch but nothing too much more than that, as I've heard alignment starts to become an issue. So I don't really think spending a bunch of money on coilovers is really necessary, but I could be wrong. Also I'm thinking sway bars would be a good idea too. Since I'm going to be doing normal street driving and some drag racing would sway bars make much of a difference?

I always see a lot of information from other users and performance places about SS mods but never too much about LT mods, so I'd figured I'd ask. If anyone has any advice that would be great! Also if anyone has any suggestions, specifically about parts to get, let me know.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
I started with the Pfadt Sport Sway Bars and the LT now feels like it's on rails in cornering. Aaron Pfadt coached me to start with the sways then consider the springs or coil overs after I felt the sway performance difference. Granted the coil overs are expensive but I like thay they're adjustable - so I'm planning on adding the Pfadt Coil Overs and Endlinks in the Spring.

I am also planning on changing out the OE LT brakes for the SS Brembo calipers, Stillen slotted/drilled rotors and stainless steel brake lines.

Feel free to pm Pfadt Race Engineering - Aaron will answer any questions you have...
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 & booked for #5
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Circuit Motorsports
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 STi
A nice set of sways and springs would do you well. Dampers/shocks would make a big difference too, if you have the money.

Feel free to PM us for options and info
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

I've heard of people using Pfadt on their Camaro's but that is pretty much it.. Anyone have any knowledge on Eibach lowering springs and sways??

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A2549A0A0.aspx

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A2548A0A0.aspx
Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
If this is your daily driver with the occasional road course stint and you want to achieve the most bang for the buck, forget the dropped springs unless you just have to have that slammed look but be prepared for a choppier ride. There is no way you can take 1" or more out of suspension travel and not feel it in the ride quality, been there and done that. Get the 20" SS wheels/tires ( or aftermarket equivalents ) and a set of MTI sway bars ( and shifter if you have a manual ) and you'll transform your car. A lot of really race oriented parts are sold and installed on cars that will never be pushed to the limits requiring all the trick parts, and the gains are small percentage wise considering the cost. It's all about being honest about what your car will spend the MOST time doing, burning gas on public roads or on the race track. Ed M.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
I have Eibach, I am not racing and it is a daily driver. Handles great! Looks Great! To top it off way cheeper $$ choice.
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Pedders offers some great opportunities for you with drop coil sets, Xa coil overs, and multiple sway bar opportunities. You should check out our discussion on the Camaro suspension design I have linked for you.

Understanding sway bars is another bit of info you should do. Check out the thread on Sway bars in this section.

thanks
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
For what you use your car for we would suggest Pedders drop spring. They will lower it about one inch. Also Pedders Sway bars either just the front bar, or 27 mm front and rear depending on how spirited of driving you plan to do.
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
I have the pfadt lowering springs and sways, very pleased to say the least. Got the look I wanted (mojave has pics on this board of his), and the handling improved as well. Springs lower 1.25 inch.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi BaylorAirForce,

Since you already know what you want to use the car for, and that does not include auto-crossing or track days, coilovers are certainly not necessary to accomplish what you want to for your vehicles handling.

As tjd24 and camarowa stated, the Pfadt sway bars work excellent on LTs. The rear bar is adjustable, to accommodate the balance characteristics you want, and then you can leave it there. The Pfadt drop springs will get you the drop you want for looks and work great to compliment the sways bars. Take a look at the Pfadt Sport Package+ info below, and PM me with any suspension questions or give us a call! Also below is a link to the video we posted on our testing the Sport Package. Thanks for posting up with your questions!

Suspension info:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67960

Testing Video:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67900
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 1968 & 2010 SIM 2LT/RS Born 041509
I just installed the Eibach Pro-Kit Plus Springs and Sways on my 2LT. Check out the following thread for pics before and after. There is a night and day difference in the handling characteristics of the car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67058
Old 03-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Ok so it's either Eibach of Pfadt. I've heard equally great things about both, however I have a hard time justifying spending several hundred dollars more on Pfadt. Anyone have a bad experience with either one?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
MTI racing sells lowering springs as well as the sway bars. Give Kevin a call for a package before you decide. They are at (770) 919-7774.
Ed M.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
If you're on a budget go with springs and sway bars. If you really want the adjustable damping and ride height go with the coilovers.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi BaylorAirForce, I just sent you a PM regarding your concerns. Let us know if you have any questions regarding our products! Thanks for your consideration.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
So I've done exhaust and CAI, now I'm thinking about sway bars and springs/coilovers.

I don't plan on going to an autocross or any competitive driving course, the only non street driving I'd do would be going to the drag strip every once and a while. With that being said most of my driving is going to be just normal street driving. My roommate has a Corvette and last week we were going through a local park here with tons of twists and turns and I couldn't help but feel like i was driving a tug boat. Granted he did have a Corvette and I only have an LT so I wasn't expecting to be able to even compare to him. However I would like something to improve handling a little bit but not give up ride comfort too much.

I'd like to lower it just a little bit (for looks), I'd say at least an inch but nothing too much more than that, as I've heard alignment starts to become an issue. So I don't really think spending a bunch of money on coilovers is really necessary, but I could be wrong. Also I'm thinking sway bars would be a good idea too. Since I'm going to be doing normal street driving and some drag racing would sway bars make much of a difference?

I always see a lot of information from other users and performance places about SS mods but never too much about LT mods, so I'd figured I'd ask. If anyone has any advice that would be great! Also if anyone has any suggestions, specifically about parts to get, let me know.
You've got a ton a great choices, and many of the SS mods will be similar for your car. As always, we recommend checking out the Hotchkis TVS. If you get the desire to lean on it harder, go with the Track Pack and step up to the brace. But even just the sways and the springs make a big difference - they tighten up the road feel, eliminate wallowing, and give it a killer stance.

We've been doing so much Camaro testing recently that we started a blog just for Camaro handling. You can watch install videos, look at track times or just check out other Camaros. Come have a look hotchkis.net/blog
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote