Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Petersimov

Drives: 2ss
BMR vs Hotchkis

I just got done putting a tvs 2300 on the maro i would like to do sumthing for the chassis. the two i was looking at are bmr and hotchkis i would like to know what one is better. I saw all the reviews on the hotchkis kit but i cant find any on bmr so what one is better. Also the only reason why i am not jumping the gun on the kits is cuz my last car CTS V had bmr wheel hop bar that did absolutely nothing so i am on the fence with bmr products i have there tralling arms that are good but when it cums to sumthing on the chassis i would like to get the best no matter what the cost.

1 what one makes the chassis stiffer
2 what one is lighter
3 what one helps launch the car better

thax
Petersimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I dont think anybody has done a side by side comparison of these yet.

In my opinion they are VERY similar in the performance of their products.
My personal preference is for the BMR products. I think they have a better price point, but Hotchkis would certainly be a close second place...

Again I think the products both deliver what they advertise...I personally just have more real world experience with the BMR, and think th epricing is a little better.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Why are you excluding the company that has been working on the Camaro the longest, Pedders?
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Petersimov

Drives: 2ss
well i was just looking for the chassis brace
Petersimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Unless i'm mistaken, the Hotchkis brace tucks under the car better, meaning the BMR's lowest point is lower than the Hotchkis. After that, look at weight, appearance, and price. I'm sure they both do what they're suppose to do, VERY well.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm
i had a tvs2300 as well as a few mor power mods and i went with the hotchkis track pack. both companys make quality products but just look at were both braces mount under the car. you can see the hotchkis will actually tighten the rear suspension, subframe and unibody together.
my ride quality is great and the brace really tighten my car up.
urr2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
55Designs

Drives: 2010
I saw the BMR photos. First off its advertised as a chassis stiffener fore of the subframe. The Hotchkis brace triangulates the rear subframe to the unibody which makes a massive improvement you have no idea until you drive it.

Search my full review few months back on here.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersimov View Post
I just got done putting a tvs 2300 on the maro i would like to do sumthing for the chassis. the two i was looking at are bmr and hotchkis i would like to know what one is better. I saw all the reviews on the hotchkis kit but i cant find any on bmr so what one is better. Also the only reason why i am not jumping the gun on the kits is cuz my last car CTS V had bmr wheel hop bar that did absolutely nothing so i am on the fence with bmr products i have there tralling arms that are good but when it cums to sumthing on the chassis i would like to get the best no matter what the cost.

2 what one is lighter

thax
Thanks 55 Designs. To answer Peter's questions:

1 - our brace is the only one on the market that actually ties the subframe to the chassis and triangulates everything, allowing travel in the vertical axis for proper suspension articulation while preventing lateral movement (that wandering feeling). The result is a significantly stiffer chassis, with near-factory ride comfort.

2- We spent about six months engineering the brace specifically for this application. It wasn't adapted from some other platform. We finally decided to have Alcoa extrude a special low-profile, high-strength aerodynamic aluminum tube for us to build the brace. That means its very light, but also very strong. Thanks to the aero tubing, it is also low profile - the exhaust hangs lower than the brace does.

3- See answer #1. Because it triangulates the subframe, our brace prevents wheel hop and makes it easier to launch the car.

Here's a video showing how to install the brace:

Last edited by Hotchkis; 03-02-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
moultron

Drives: 2ss Inferno Orange
Send a message via AIM to moultron Send a message via Skype™ to moultron
Watch this video of the Camaro with and without the chassis brace in palce. It tells the story. Watch the bushing on the left without the brace and watch how more sturdy it is on the right after the chassis brace install. Hopefully this link works.

Good Luck!
Sean M.

moultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersimov View Post

2 what one is lighter

thax
It's difficult to answer these questions without it sounding like I am talking negatively about Hotchkis but I assure you that is not the case, we just both went different routes in designing our chassis braces. Ours from the beginning was designed to be a subframe connector, meaning it joins the front subframe to the rear subframe (and triangulates to the transmission tunnel at the driveshaft carrier bearing mount). The Hotchkis unit ties the front subframe and driveshaft tunnel to the rear cradle.

We purposely stayed away from the rear cradle for two reasons:
1 - The main reason was that we were already developing a solution to counteract the rear cradle movement. With both Delrin and polyurethane bushings in the works, we solely focused on reinforcing the chassis when developing the subframe connectors.

2 - The second reason was that the rear cradle is isolated from the chassis by bushings and connecting it directly to the chassis via a solid link concerned us about potential NVH transfer. I am not saying that this is the case , just that it concerned us during the development stage enough to move towards other ideas. We were also concerned that with so much cradle movement the flex cycles introduced into the chassis bracing would create potential fatique in the tubing and welds. Again, this was just a concern that directed us in a different path during the development stage.

As for weight, I am not sure whose is lighter but ours weigh 22 lbs.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote