Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
All the more reason for this question, If GM installs the Mods on your car, GM Performance exhaust, and GM shorty headers, options from the factory albeit not available it should be like anything else on the car, Warrantied, Right?
Read the post above. If it is an option from the factory and is on your invoice then your probably good, HOWEVER, I would not get anything installed without something in writing from a REGIONAL manager stating that your warranty will not be affected (for anything after taking delivery)

I had this problem with a short shifter on my STi. They did not have any in stock at the time of delivery so I took the car how it was and brought it back a week later for the shifter install. Fast forward a year and 300 miles south. The lockout cable (prevents it from going into reverse without lifting the paddle on the shifter) broke. I went to a different dealer and they would not fix it. Eventually got with the regional rep and he said that because it wasnt on the invoice and done before pickup it would not be covered. I argued with them for a month and after getting Subaru of America (corporate) involved the dealer called me offering to pay for half of the repair. At that point I didnt have time to fight it anymore and had to get it done.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Read the post above. If it is an option from the factory and is on your invoice then your probably good, HOWEVER, I would not get anything installed without something in writing from a REGIONAL manager stating that your warranty will not be affected (for anything after taking delivery)

I had this problem with a short shifter on my STi. They did not have any in stock at the time of delivery so I took the car how it was and brought it back a week later for the shifter install. Fast forward a year and 300 miles south. The lockout cable (prevents it from going into reverse without lifting the paddle on the shifter) broke. I went to a different dealer and they would not fix it. Eventually got with the regional rep and he said that because it wasnt on the invoice and done before pickup it would not be covered. I argued with them for a month and after getting Subaru of America (corporate) involved the dealer called me offering to pay for half of the repair. At that point I didnt have time to fight it anymore and had to get it done.
Thanks for the info, I will definately discuss this and get it in writing before doing anything
Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
Magoo

Drives: 86 Buick T-Type
My Dealer will warranty any add-ons but GM won't. Their Comment not mine. Also anytime any PCM mods are done (re-flash) it sets a permanent code that can't be removed. The ALDL harness has a internal code sensor that records this. Even replacing the PCM won't remove the code. Someone will make a replacement harness that will fix this? Vendors? Gene
Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Ive said this in other threads -

Every time I see someone offer a MODIFICATION for a car someone asks if it will void the warranty. In short -
IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR WARRANTY 100% DO NOT MODIFY YOUR CAR

Every modification will void some part of your warranty. A dealer has no responsibility to fix, under warranty, anything that was modified after it left the dealership and trust me, they WILL use every excuse possible.

It is good to know your rights, but it takes money to use them and the dealerships know this. It is usually going to be cheaper to repair the car yourself than fight it out in court. I know that the dealer will eventually be required to pay lawyer fees IF you win, but you will still be out a lot of money up front and your car will be down in the meantime.

I have a decent background modifying cars and dealing with dealerships and my message is this - If you cannot afford to pay to fix something YOU broke modifying your car, DO NOT MODIFY IT.
Absolutely Untrue....

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Thanks SEMA we love ya man...

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0cuElkzZZ

My dealer replaced My tranny after Supercharger installed LT headers, flow thru cats, Corsa exhaust, RIP shift short throw shifter, Hennesy CAI and Tune... They even did all the installs!

Also replaced a friends Tranny twice who had same setup as mine...He blew second gear twice from miss shifting and they repaired it with new tranny twice.

In summary if they can prove the mods actually caused the failure than your out of luck. My dealer didn't even blink. Just fixed and quickly !
Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #22
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
Does Modifying My Car Void my Warranty?

Does Modifying My Car Void my Warranty?

Maybe this will help clear things up a bit for commonly asked questions.

http://************.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/does-modifying-my-2010-camaro-void-my-warranty/
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: Demon SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
These threads are now merged. Continue your discussion of warranty rights. Everyone should know about their rights as a consumer.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #24
camarorad
Out of my way

Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The law requires people to enforce it with their lawyers if it is broken. That is true of almost every law. Tuners are testing the limits of the law. Expect dealers to push back a little. I'm just letting you know of your rights. If these rights are violated, you have a right to sue.

I think its the degree of how easily or difficult it is to enforce. Its all well and good to go quoting M-M to the dealer claiming your legitamacy, but the bottom line is if they say no then that's it. Sure you can go to court, but they will no doubt have a whole army of lawyers ready to come at it from every angle, some which you may not even have thought of. Most of us don't have the time or money to go through with this. The corporates do.

I don't agree that every law requires litigation to enforce. If the party believes it is likely result in a net loss, they will avoid litigation. The net loss doesn't necessarily refer only to that specific case, but the precendent that case sets for future cases. If they think they can win or at least outlast their opponent, they will go to court. Chances are they have much deeper pockets than the consumer.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #25
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorad View Post
I think its the degree of how easily or difficult it is to enforce. Its all well and good to go quoting M-M to the dealer claiming your legitamacy, but the bottom line is if they say no then that's it. Sure you can go to court, but they will no doubt have a whole army of lawyers ready to come at it from every angle, some which you may not even have thought of. Most of us don't have the time or money to go through with this. The corporates do.

I don't agree that every law requires litigation to enforce. If the party believes it is likely result in a net loss, they will avoid litigation. The net loss doesn't necessarily refer only to that specific case, but the precendent that case sets for future cases. If they think they can win or at least outlast their opponent, they will go to court. Chances are they have much deeper pockets than the consumer.
Unfortunately, there's a big separation between the way the world should be and the way it is. :( We should be able to have our warranty issues evaluated without having to refer to the law. If everyone did what they were supposed to do, then we would have no need for law enforcement.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #26
camarorad
Out of my way

Drives: RY 2SS/RS
yeah, totally agree

Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #27
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
Absolutely Untrue....

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Thanks SEMA we love ya man...

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0cuElkzZZ

My dealer replaced My tranny after Supercharger installed LT headers, flow thru cats, Corsa exhaust, RIP shift short throw shifter, Hennesy CAI and Tune... They even did all the installs!

Also replaced a friends Tranny twice who had same setup as mine...He blew second gear twice from miss shifting and they repaired it with new tranny twice.

In summary if they can prove the mods actually caused the failure than your out of luck. My dealer didn't even blink. Just fixed and quickly !

And I'm sure SEMA is going to pay your lawyer fees IF your warranty is voided for modifications...this is the elephant in the room that everyone chooses to ignore. As was stated earlier...it is up to YOU (the claimant) to fight with a dealer or manufacturer that denies your warranty claim. The fact that the dealer above replaced transmissions under warranty for cars that were obviously beyond the capabilities of said transmissions is the reason that GM is getting tougher on repairs.

If you can't take responsibility for modifications and their outcomes...and afford those responsibilities...then don't mod your car. Don't continue to drive up the cost of new cars by driving up warranty costs for items that should not be warrantied.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #28
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
This may or may not help. It is straight from the manual so it has credibility.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #29
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemaro View Post
This may or may not help. It is straight from the manual so it has credibility.

This allows me to clarify another point on warranties. If GM didn't make something that broke, GM won't fix it. For example:
The steering wheel that you installed in your Caprice in the original post breaks. You take it to your dealer. Your dealer tells you that GM does not fix non-GM parts. You call the manufacturer of the steering wheel. They fix it.
If you install a non-GM part on your GM car, then GM is no longer responsible for that part of the car. That means that a bad install on your aftermarket exhaust is not GM's responsibility, nor is it GM's responsibility to make sure that the aftermarket exhaust passes inspections of any kind. If your aftermarket part goes bad at any time, GM has no obligation to cover it.

In addition, any aftermarket part that causes an OEM part to fail has voided the warranty on the OEM part. For example, throwing a Duramax in your Camaro but not upgrading the transmission is a risk that the transmission can't handle the new engine. When the transmission fails from this mismatch, the owner is responsible for repairs.

Does that clear this up a little more?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #30
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Cautionary Tale-Mod friendly dealers

Experience was with B5 Passats 99 to 06?
There was a SoCal VW dealer who was very mod friendly if the mods were purchased through him and installed by him (IMHO his prices were competitive). To my knowledge he never invalidated a warranty repair if it was related to anything installed by him. Passat owners from all over CA. flocked to him for engine mods, improved chips (engine and tranny), suspension mods etc. It sounded good and was, EXCEPT, other dealers didn't accept his warranty -duh. So you drive from Fresno to LA, you have your car tarted up and modded at this dealer. All,s good? Then a few weeks later you have an issue, your cars won't run and you're in Fresno. The local dealer says, " your aftermarket chip or whatever caused this failure. We'll fix it but it's on your dime". Now you have two choices, pay up or tow the car to SoCal. More than one owner faced this issue.
I'm just saying that if you mod your car, even thru a mod friendly dealer, you may need to be prepared to deal with your non mod friendly dealers (ie pay up) and have a Plan B if a major failure occurs that that local dealer will not repair under warranty.
One of my friends had an engine failure while on a road trip to Oregon. He ended up paying a small fortune to have it trailered back to SoCal (less however than the cost of an engine rebuild in Eugene). Also had rental car expense to get back home.
IMHO-If you want to keep your warranty clean. Don't mod your car, anywhere
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #31
black 2ss/rs

Drives: Black on Black 2ss/rs
right from chevys website

What Is Not Covered All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium-duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

An Important Note about Alterations and Warranties Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

To summarize, missuse and alterations voids the warranty. Also; non GM calibrations voids the warranty. GM aftermarket parts installed by an authorized dealer voids GM's warranty related to whatever they install. Missuse is a broad term but may include using your launch TCS feature, racing, no lift shifts, anything really. So if you add/replace anything that would increase preformance 99% the dealership will take note and deny your claim.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #32
sparaz
867-5309

Drives: 2010 CMG RS & 86 black Z28 3rd gen
There was an example in OP about racing voiding the warranty. Is that to say that if someone tested their max speed on a closed track once or twice that they would void a warranty as well? I read the part about sustained over limit speeds, but if so that would seem ridiculous to me.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #33
youngoliver

Drives: 2SS/RS SIM -- Lifted 99' GMC
Is putting Eibach lowering springs on going to void my warranty in any way? If yes please explain...
thank you
Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #34
jpf1087

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Can GM dealers reprogram the chip to allow free range shifting? The 1-4th shift thing is killing me when i'm only going up to 25-30mph and staying there. I found that accelerating harder makes it not come up but I'd rather get rid of it. Would this cause warranty issues as well?

Closed Thread

Tags
ftc, law, void warranty, warranty