Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #85
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I don't want it that dark - its a pain to see out the rear as it is!! Also, I don't need a "fix-it" ticket for dark tint - since the sides are illegal even at 65%!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #86
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

03/26/10: Silver steering Wheel trim & Airbag trim

Ok, a placeholder for the work I'm doing right now - pictures to follow. I've just installed the new black chrome painted steering wheel trim. It was a little scary taking out the airbag, but it went VERY smoothly!! I already put in the new painted steering wheel trim and I figure while the air bag is out, I'd paint the chrome circle around it black chrome as well Been taking lots of pictures and will do a write-up when it's completed. A few coats of paint and a few of clear coat, then pictures...

Funny, after I disconnected the battery, my alarm went off! I forgot the Viper has a battery backup alarm that can only be turned off with a key!

The airbag was not hard to remove - just followed a previous DIY (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...steering+wheel) on how to remove the steering wheel from the forum. I used a long handle T20 driver. The silver steering wheel bezel basically pulls out. I started with a small screwdriver on both pointed corners then slowly pulled all the way around.

Another excellent DIY thread on removing the steering wheel trim & airbag: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73511

There's a small black ground wire at the top under the bezel and i was careful to leave it there and make sure it went back in the same spot.

Next, to paint the 2 side C A M A R O logos Black Metallic

Pictures...

Before starting (bezel trim behind is already painted Black Metallic:
Name:  DSC_4921Small.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  143.5 KB

Airbag off:
Name:  DSC_4922Small.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  121.7 KB

Closeup shot - trim mostly pulled out:
Name:  DSC_4925Small.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  141.1 KB

Note how the prongs pull from the sockets - all plastic & rubber here.
Name:  DSC_4927Small.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  92.8 KB

The thin black ground wire actually sits under the bezel. Don't break this!
Name:  DSC_4928Small.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  93.1 KB

Trim off - the steering wheel controls on each side. The new trim actually came WITH the 2 control pods! I used the new ones.
Name:  DSC_4929Small.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  116.3 KB

The new painted trim installed. Pushed each pointed corned in, then pushed around the top & bottom.
Name:  DSC_4930Small.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  129.1 KB

The airbag before masking & painting. I only painted the round chrome trim.
Name:  DSC_4931Small.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  163.4 KB

masked off and painted. 3 coats of Gloss Black Metallic and 3 coats of Gloss Clear Coat.
Name:  DSC_4932Small.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  137.9 KB

The next project - Black Metallic C A M A R O lettering
Name:  DSC_4933Small.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  43.0 KB

The tool used to remove the airbag. Scary part!
Name:  DSC_4935Small.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  51.0 KB

The painted airbag
Name:  DSC_4937Small.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  159.3 KB

The end product!
Attached Images

2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;

Last edited by Michael_Js; 03-28-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #87
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..wow..think you've hit the point of no return..no where's that S/C?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #88
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Nice this Camaro is sweet nice work keep it up!!!!
Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #89
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
..wow..think you've hit the point of no return..no where's that S/C?
No return? Where would I return to?? SC is down the road. More suspenion mods coming up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotthat02fire View Post
Nice this Camaro is sweet nice work keep it up!!!!
Thank you! I enjoy making personal mods to her!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #90
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

04/03/10 - AAC Style Illuminated BowTie install

OK, maybe I wired this wrong. The colors didn't match what I found at the passenger side connectors. I wired it there, maybe it should have went before that spot?

So, the driving lights come on fine as well as the brakes light. brake light isn't that much brighter, but it still looks cool. Only thing is since the driving lights ARE the same as the turn signal, my bowtie blinks with the right turn signal

Doesn't really bother me, it's just the way it came out. I really like how it looks!!

My Hotchkis chassis brace is in and should be here this week. Still has the KW V3's in and I will hopefully have those installed this coming week. PFadt front brace is in as well as the rear trailing arm.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #91
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
The car looks great... Keep it up!!
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #92
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Thanks...More suspension mods next Wed - 4/14
Appt set with Stillen
Old 04-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #93
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

LED HALOs for the DRLs

Ok, I added the AAC Style LED HALO's to the DRLs today - they are the AAC LED DRLs.

Total install was about 1 1/2 hours - not including a 2 hour dry time for the silicone of the lens back to the housing. They are NOT connected to a power source yet. I ordered the wireless DRL controller so I can control the DRLs and the DRL HALOs separately. I cut the lens off the housing with a Dremel. I took my time and it went very smoothly with no issues. You just follow the gap between the housing and the lens.

The bumper after the housing & DRL housing removed. Only the top 2 and bottom left holes are used. Not sure what the other hole is for.

Name:  DSC_5217Small.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  117.7 KB

The outside DRL housing. It was a PITA to get out! there are 5 clips and you have to keep it pulled out as you go along from the inside else it reconnects the tabs!

Name:  DSC_5218Small.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  114.2 KB

I marked the lens to housing before I cut it off with a Dremel so I could line it back up. here the hols is already drilled on the bottom for the HALO wire to go through. You can see the 3M adhesive strips on the HALO, but there really isn't Anywhere to attach to!

Name:  DSC_5219Small.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  116.2 KB

Hole drilled and cleaned and ready for the HALO to be attached:
Name:  DSC_5221Small.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  152.3 KB

Test fit. The bottom stays fixed pretty good with the hole being just a tad bigger than the wires.
Name:  DSC_5222Small.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  142.7 KB

I used LocTite cement to attach the HALO ring with locations on the top and the bottom.
Name:  DSC_5223Small.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  138.4 KB

LocTite Power Grab. The red dot is the top of the housing.
Name:  DSC_5224Small.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  103.6 KB

Quick grip clamps. They are great! ONE note to self: when using a clamp, protect the surface you are clamping to! There was a small abrasion on both lens tops. Now, they are covered with a tint shield, so i didn't actually scratch the lens.
Name:  DSC_5225Small.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  106.6 KB

Both housings silicone sealed and clamped. I also silicone sealed the holes with the wires coming through.
Name:  DSC_5227Small.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  114.1 KB

You can see a little too much silicone was used on the left lens, right top. You don't need to much, so just spread it with your fingers to cover and don't let too much gather on the inside edge of the housing. outside edge is fine since you can wipe it off after you put the cover back on.
Name:  DSC_5229Small.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  99.8 KB

A lighter shot - they are connected to a Sears DieHard Power Sports battery. I use that to test all the 12V electronics And to power a trolling motor.
Name:  DSC_5231Small.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  120.0 KB

this is the passenger side housing from the inside. The DRL socket is connected with 3 push pins and the DRL housing is inserted with 5 tabs. The LED DRL bulb is plugged in already:
Name:  DSC_5233Small.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  102.7 KB

Closeup shot. For now, the HALOs will just have the wires hanging down.
Name:  DSC_5234Small.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  64.1 KB

I tested them again with the Sears DieHard battery. Passenger's side with just HALO on
Name:  DSC_5235Small.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  96.2 KB

Passenger's side with DRL also on
Name:  DSC_5236Small.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  94.3 KB

Driver's side with just HALO on
Name:  DSC_5237Small.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  86.4 KB

Driver's side with DRL also on
Name:  DSC_5238Small.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  96.8 KB

Last edited by Michael_Js; 04-09-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #94
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

CARiD.com - Black Interior Trim package

Ok, I ordered the CARiD.com - Black Interior Trim package. I like most of the pieces, some I didn't use. I really wanted to cover all the circular silver vent trims with black, but only the center part came in the kit.

Anyway, i used the center vent trim, the radio top & bottom, the 4 pack-gauge trim as well as the console around it. Also trimmed both door window control areas as well as by the light controls and the emblem area that I have my build info plaque. Overall I think it came out ok. They had lots of steering wheel trim but I just painted mine so i didn't use any of that.

Some looks good, some looks cheap to me since it doesn't cover everything. the console by the stick/gauges looks incomplete. The radio control/fan control looks cheap since it has cutouts for the control graphics.

Anyway, if I like it, i'll keep it. Else I'll rip it out. It has very strong 3M backing so you have to take your time else it sticks where you lay it!

Name:  DSC_5240Small.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  DSC_5242Small.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  DSC_5244Small.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  DSC_5245Small.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  100.4 KB

Name:  DSC_5246Small.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  114.8 KB
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #95
STRUT1

Drives: '10 STRUT Camaro SS/RS
Sweet mods!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #96
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Thanks! After the suspension mods next week, I'll be getting Gary's vented fenders and Heritage Grille

That's after I build up some more $$$
Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #97
wlorton

Drives: Looking to Buy!
Ok, now I posted earlier that I liked the black/black with red accents... and this thread... Is better than I imagined, also, your car screams PURE AWESOMENESS!....

I would love to see more of this.... If those red side accents fit better I think you wouldn't be able to make it look any better...
wlorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #98
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Thanks! They are IOM spears on the hood. The side orange spears were removed since they didn't match the real IOM color on the hood.