Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Youngin132

Drives: none yet..
Is it okay to learn manual on a v6?

well I've never driven a stick before and I always wanted to try it cause I love cars and always liked driving them. But the question is, is it not much a hassel to learn how to drive stick on a 2lt? My dad said he would be willing to teach me but I don't want to mess up the transmission or anything. I'm an atheltic kid so I should be able to adapt to it fairly quickly. What do you guys think? Oh and I'm mad excited to get my camaro it's black 2lt manual with sunroof. It's my first car/graduation gift.
Youngin132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin132 View Post
well I've never driven a stick before and I always wanted to try it cause I love cars and always liked driving them. But the question is, is it not much a hassel to learn how to drive stick on a 2lt? My dad said he would be willing to teach me but I don't want to mess up the transmission or anything. I'm an atheltic kid so I should be able to adapt to it fairly quickly. What do you guys think? Oh and I'm mad excited to get my camaro it's black 2lt manual with sunroof. It's my first car/graduation gift.
I taught my friend to drive stick using my 2LT.

Suggestion: It really helped him find the friction point of the clutch by getting the car moving by not giving it any gas, just letting out he clutch.

Also remember once the car is moving it doesn't matter how fast you let the clutch out when switching between gears.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
its totally fine... i learned on a 350z v6 ..... keep in mind its way easier to learn with non sports car.....
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
jackfanta82
the boss is back!

Drives: 01 ford ranger edge
go for!
listen to your dad very carefully and you will do fine
jackfanta82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Some of the purists with years of stick experience here might give you grief for suggesting learning on a car like this, but you probably won't hurt anything. It may be better for the car to be broken in some first, but honestly these are well-engineered machines designed for high-performance and taking a beating - I think they can handle someone learning for the first time, so long as you take it easy and don't try to see how fast you can get to 60mph at every stoplight on the ride home.

The worst damage to the car might happen in your own imagination, like the burnt smell of the clutch after you're done. The car will survive.

That said, I would at least try to find something else to learn on is the very best solution. You won't be an expert - I drove a Saturn for five years with a stick, and still managed to burn my clutch and stall the car a dozen times driving her home that first night - but every little bit helps!

FYI by noon the next day I was driving her just fine. Seven months and 10,000 miles later I can count on one hand the number of times I've stalled the car since. It gets easy quickly.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Kai-028

Drives: '02 Yamaha V-Star
I've been teaching my gf how to ride a motorcycle, and what really helped her was learning how it all works, and learning to use the friction zone to get moving. She's gotten pretty good with it, although she chokes up when she thinks I'm watching her. But V6, V8, V-twin, a manual is a manual and every vehicle will be a little different. I know when I first started riding my bike I had to adjust myself to the location of the friction zone in the lever, and it was the same way in my mom's truck. Just find the friction zone, and practice with it, once you get the hang of the clutch it all becomes second nature and you barely realize you shift...

...but be careful when you get back into an automatic... When I do I tend to leave the car in drive when I shut it off, but you may mistakenly hit the wrong pedal looking for the clutch.
Kai-028 is offline   Reply With Quote