Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #120
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna510 View Post
Damn! There are a ton of HUD haters in here, it's an awesome feature to have! I'm gonna wait it out a bit longer, the camaro is only getting better!
its not haters its just current owners trying to justify reasons they don't need it....but secretly wish they had the feature

i mean i'm sure they aren't to unhappy they got the camaro a year before 2011 owners...fair trade-off
Old 04-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #121
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
most of these complaints are just sour grapes in my opinion...that thing isn't distracting at all...can't wait to have it
Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #122
SamIyam

Drives: 2010 1SS
I like the way the black car convieniently pulls up so you can see it.

Let's see some video of it working with the car driving around.

Sam
SamIyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #123
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWS-GTAW View Post
i would like to see work while the rpm is in motion. I would like the HUD if i could be added to my 2010 wouldn't trade my car in. I would trade my car in for a z28.

The reason why I am interested in hud is because the way I sit, and the low wheel position setting i prefer the top rpm 5/7k are kinda hard for me to see unless i tilt my head down. So having the hud is not a bad idea, but I got use to just tilting my head.
YEah I am part way there to upgrading mine, I just hope it's not too difficult.

Same hear I can see the instrument panel very well with the way I sit and position everything.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #124
Aceman1120

Drives: Orange Metallic RS
Hey Guys! Theres a cheaper way...Just go to the Apple App store and download IHUD for $5 bucks!! I'm serious!!
Aceman1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #125
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman1120 View Post
Hey Guys! Theres a cheaper way...Just go to the Apple App store and download IHUD for $5 bucks!! I'm serious!!
I downloaded iHUD it sucks :(, I also downloaded aSmartHUD and it is better but still not great but I'd rather have my phone someplace other than sitting on my Dash the whole time I am driving.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #126
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
I think the HUD is nice but I can take it or leave it, definitly would not have put off buying a 2010 if thats all i was waiting for.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #127
5THGENRS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS, 08 IOM G8 GT, 87ta
OPINIONS

back when i was ordering i heard of the HUD and was asking my dealer when it was due to come out and also the addition to the rear back up sensors. I thought about waiting but no official word, but low and behold i did get the sensors (despite the circles, nice feature). I wish i had the HUD, it would be nice to have but even me being # 92,608 i still wouldnt trade mine in bc i just like to over the fact that i coincidently totaled my GP when i did and was able to get the first official release year. Just weird the timing of it all and the fact i was over my first camaro i ever seen in person back in May 09 and fast forward 8 months later and i was putting my order in!

My quote: "Yeah it sickens me over how i totaled my car, and it was a great car, but hey i cant totally regret it happening bc look at what ive got now"
2500 = Preferenced (1/12/2010)
3000 = Accepted by Production (1/13/2010) TPW = (2/8/2010)
3100 = Sequenced (1/29/2010)
3300 = Scheduled (1/29/2010)
3400 = Broadcast (1/29/2010)
3800 = Produced (2/10/2010) VIN # 2G1FG1EVXA9192608
4150 = Invoiced (2/11/2010)
4200 = Shipped (2/12/2010)
5000 = Delivered to Dealer (2/24/2010)
6000 = Delivered to Customer (3/1/2010)
5THGENRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #128
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder View Post
MY vette HUD does more than that. It does less than my moms acadia with HUD.
No... It doesn't. This HUD is a bit more advanced than the one in the Corvettes thanks to the Camaro's next-generation electronics.

EDIT: Something else to consider...this CAN be turned off and dimmed separately from the interior lighting in case it becomes too distracting in certain lighting conditions. The controls are on the opposite side of the steering wheel from the headlight controls.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #129
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
I like it a lot. It doesn't need to be large because it becomes a distraction. It's an additional reference.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #130
5thGenOwner

Drives: '10 SS & '15 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLT4 View Post
Looks pretty damn distracting to me. No thanks, I'll drive like a man.
I believe HUD was actually used in the millitary first. This isn't "parking assist" or some wussie crap like that. Lets be honest, if you can't park your car... you shouldn't be driving. (maybe a bicycle is more... for you?)

But, regarding HUD... Less time looking away from the road... less chance of an accident. Face it, this is a true improvement to the current method of driving. Not exactly what the millitary invented it for, but it definately works.

That said, I ain't trading in my 2010 for nothin'! But, well done GM!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #131
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
What a crock of crap!

Everyone cried like a little girl when the camaro arrived with out HUD. Now everyone is crying like a little girl because HUD came out.

One member on here was pretty critical of HUD when he saw the actual configuration, but when shown the video of the original example of HUD in a promotional video (prior to the car even coming out) he thought it was cool. What are the differences?....it looks the same to me.

I completely agree it needs to be an OPTION! But I just don't see how people can be so disappointed in something they were so passionate about the car not having when it was released. Based on the description of what HUD displays I don't think there is a lot more they can display. It shows useful and meaningful data to HELP YOU DRIVE.

DISCLAIMER: I realize not everyone who has posted was around when the HUD was first discussed, and vice versa.
I for one am angry that HUD came out on the 2011, but that's because it DIDN'T come out on the 2010 at all, so I missed getting it.

On the other hand, far too many people jumped down my throat for saying that the backup sensor should be an OPTION, so I can't get on board with anyone complaining that HUD should be optional.

All I can hope for is a retrofit kit. I hope it is do-able.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #132
Mr. Wyndham

Unfortunately...HUD as an option is virtually impossible.

After talking to the Great Camaro Team members that attended the Fest....somehow the unit ties into way too many different subsystems of the car to even make half a lick of sense as offering it as an option. I say "somehow" because I'm no engineer...especially when it comes to sensitive electronics.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #133
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Unfortunately...HUD as an option is virtually impossible.

After talking to the Great Camaro Team members that attended the Fest....somehow the unit ties into way too many different subsystems of the car to even make half a lick of sense as offering it as an option. I say "somehow" because I'm no engineer...especially when it comes to sensitive electronics.
That implies this is an impossible retrofit.

However, as an electronics/software engineer I can say it would be really poor layout to tie this device into all kinds of systems with a mass of interconnects. The information that needs to be displayed should be readily available over a single connection from the main controller in the car.

I can accept it if they say that the info from the audio/bluetooth/usb controller is separate.

They should be working to integrate all these functions into a standard network on the car so that they can save weight.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #134
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
That implies this is an impossible retrofit.

However, as an electronics/software engineer I can say it would be really poor layout to tie this device into all kinds of systems with a mass of interconnects. The information that needs to be displayed should be readily available over a single connection from the main controller in the car.

I can accept it if they say that the info from the audio/bluetooth/usb controller is separate.

They should be working to integrate all these functions into a standard network on the car so that they can save weight.
The Camaro features their newest electronics "platform"(? I dunno what else to call it). Anyways...like I said, I'm no engineer so I can't really delve into it intelligently. All I can guess is that systems like OnStar, ECM, and the "silver box" all have to communicate to it...and everything must sync up...meaning lots of inter-system communication...all displayed through the HUD...which can get complicated.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #135
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
If it showed me the stock ticker then I would care...
Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #136
5thGenOwner

Drives: '10 SS & '15 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstockcam View Post
If it showed me the stock ticker then I would care...
I guess they don't call it a 'crash' for nothin'!