Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
BMR or SPOHN Can users post feedback on the suspension parts

We are looking to upgrade our company car further

1. Strut brace
2. Rear Toe bars
3. Rear trailing arm
4. Rear lower control arms.

Both companies seem to make great products but I see slight design differences which I wouldn't call bad but I would like to know who is using these parts and if you were to compare how do they stack up.

We want to make the car track better and hold the damn alignment specs better/ We also drive the car on the street so noise is also a factory because we wont use the heim link joint versions of these parts just the standard replacements.

Price wise they are about the same and I am not looking for a brand flame thread reply just some track and street feedback on the products since this would be the final area for us to upgrade.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
A couple of quick thoughts, and then I'll let the BMR customers post their opinions:

1) BMR is the only suspension company that makes a complete line of chassis/suspension products for the 2010 Camaro - bushings, springs/sway bars, chassis stiffening components, and rear supension components. BMR has already started to design a lightweight rear cradle, lightweight K-member, rear coilover conversion kit, motor mounts, and drag sway bar. If you want to use one company for all chassis/suspension components, then BMR will give you the most options to improve your car as your performance level increases.

2) BMR has already sold more chassis/suspension components than other suspension companies. This shows that we have a proven line of products and a large group of satisfied customers.

3) BMR supports the Camaro5 community. We attended the Camaro 5 Fest and we even flipped our 2010 Camaro on its side so that our fellow members could get a good look at the bottom side of a 2010 Camaro with the BMR product installed.
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
55Designs

Drives: 2010
BMR we know you make great products but can you comment from an engineering point of view as to why BMR uses boxed tubing where as others are using chro molly tubular tubing?

In terms of rigidity I am sure gusseted boxed sections are ideal but what about weight saving and design limitations for geometry? Tubular designs seem to have a lesser profile under the car but there has to be some finite analysis to explain the two design differences.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2010 camaro
Both companies make good parts.We have installed both with no problems.We have been using the spohn chassis parts on our third gen camaro for years.I run nasa road racing with it at several events a year and have never had a failure.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
BMR we know you make great products but can you comment from an engineering point of view as to why BMR uses boxed tubing where as others are using chro molly tubular tubing?

In terms of rigidity I am sure gusseted boxed sections are ideal but what about weight saving and design limitations for geometry? Tubular designs seem to have a lesser profile under the car but there has to be some finite analysis to explain the two design differences.
I would think that rigidity is the key on a muliple axis suspension part.

Anyways, BMR has always treated my right with great products at even greater prices!

Mav
Old 04-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post

I would just do a search on Camaro 5 and Modern Camaro both for Spohn and BMR and see whose name comes up the most. Then read the feedback. The customer response will make the biggest statement when making a choice.

As for product design, everyone has an opinion on what is better. I try not to "bash" another company's product to make ours look better. Usually our product speaks for itself but below I have tried to point out the differences (as nicely as possible). A generalized statement can't be made for all of the items listed so I broke it down by component.
  • Spohn doesn't make a strut tower brace so there is no comparison to be discussed
  • On the Toe Rods, we chose to pattern ours to more closely resemble the OE shape so we went with rectangular tubing where Spohn uses round tubing. In this case I wouldn't say one is better than the other. For this specific part, both versions are superior and overkill compared to what is there originally. We both use polyurethane bushings, ours uses 95 durometer, I am not sure what Spohn uses. I guess you could say that functionally this particular part is very similar and your purchase should be solely aesthetics. I like the look of the rectangular version myself . If you are looking at the adjustable version, it's hard to make a tube with threaded ends look or function differently. He chose 4130, we chose DOM. We both use QA1 XR series rod ends. Our spacers are stainless, his are plated steel. Pricing is almost identical.
  • Looking at a trailing arm, it doesn't take a finite analysis test to see which design is stronger, a 1.25" diameter round tube butt welded to a flat plate (Spohn) or 1" x 2" tube with gusseted 2" overlapping mounting plates (BMR). I don't know specifically but I would venture to say that ours are probably heavier. We do have a light-weight version in the works for the drag race community, we just chose to release the more durable street version first because it was in more demand. Our revised design clears the 16" and 17" wheels commonly being used by drag racers.
  • Control Arms are completely different and I think that has more to do with the fact that we were more inclusive in our design process. If we just wanted to make a stronger version of the factory arm, we probably would have followed the same path and both of our arms would look very much the same. We would have made a thicker gauge, all-plate construction that mimicked the OE design. Instead, we took into account all of the variables during the design process. Not only does it have to be stronger and provide additional features but the most important reason for making this part is alignment issues. From the beginning we knew that adjustability had to be designed into the product somehow so everyone's camber issues could be addressed. This is not nearly as possible with an all-plate construction so we went the tubular route. We also designed in clearance for the KW shock reservoirs, an insight only recognized through product compatability testing. neither of these are addressed in the Spohn design arm.
It might also interest everyone to know that all of our products are designed and manufactured in-house, clearance and compatability tested on our own company-owned car, and durability and functionality tested on the drag strip and road course before ever becoming a product.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote