Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

USA - California The Golden State

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
tangorover
 
tangorover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 469
My Roommate's car got keyed, Any place to get it fixed

My Roommate's 08 Metallic Black Mazda 3 got keyed today. Its a 5 inch long scratch on the passenger side door. It looks pretty bad on his otherwise flawless car. The scratch look like its not down to the primer/metal. However it doesn't look like it can be buffed out. Any idea how much something like this costs to get fixed and what the process is? Any references in the east or south bay would be wonderful!
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
tangorover
 
tangorover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 469
anyone?
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,234
can you feel it with your fingernail? If so, than it can't be buffed out.

I just went through something like this. It's about 600 bucks to fix or so.

You can use a fine tipped sharpie, touchup paint and a toothpick to fill it in if you want a quick fix, Otherwise I would suggest G&M autobody in san bruno (right off the freeway about 3 blocks on San Bruno Ave).

Gil is the manager and will take care of you.

If you need more info, feel free to contact me on aim/pm.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
tangorover
 
tangorover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 469
WOW thats a LOT. I thought it would be something like PDR but I see now they are not really the same thing. 600 is insane. I guess he'll just have to live with it. I cant even imagin what kind of dipstick would key someone's car :-(. I guess it takes all kinds...
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,234
Happened to me on Burlingame Ave. Some 40+ guy in a sportscoat walking into the cigar shop decided to let his ring do the walking...

What are you doing still awake. You should check out my vampire cruise thread. =P
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
ChevyThunder
 
Drives: pinto
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: saturn
Posts: 186
I am having the exact same thing fixed on my black CL65 AMG right now for 200.00 . The guy is mobile and was referred to me by a buddy of mine who had this guy do some work on a very high end car of his and he swears by him.
Guy is at my house right now doing the repair so PM me if you would like feedback and his contact info .
ChevyThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
SS Mike

 
SS Mike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder View Post
I am having the exact same thing fixed on my black CL65 AMG right now for 200.00 . The guy is mobile and was referred to me by a buddy of mine who had this guy do some work on a very high end car of his and he swears by him.
Guy is at my house right now doing the repair so PM me if you would like feedback and his contact info .
I want to see some pics of the CL65!!! I love that car! Funny story about that car. A couple years ago when I still had my last car (2000 SS 6-speed), I was cruising along with a friend in my car and a CL pulls up alongside and passes me. Well I started to speed up just to get a look at it and he speeds up to, fairly quickly. So I drop a couple gears and hit it. He's staying just ahead of me so I'm thinking I'm doin pretty good, then out of nowhere he literally is just gone! My jaw dropped, it was like he wasn't hitting it at all, when I was full throttle! So I get up to the light that he's stopped at, sure enough I see Biturbo on the side!! The guy looks at me and gives me a thumbs up, with his suit hanging in the back window (I thought that was cool). The light turns green and I launch and by the time I get across the crosswalk, he's passed the entire intersection!!! Love that car!

Sorry don't mean to get off topic, just thought I would share that. As far as the scratch on the OP's car......it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars to fix. I don't know of any body shops in your area, but I would try having it polished out first. If that doesn't work then they might have to repaint that area or at least fill it. Good luck with the fix!

-Mike
__________________

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 123,973
good luck
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
DetailAddict
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 461
any reputable body should should be able to take care of him... if you think it's not too deep and can be buffed out. bring it by the shop and we can take a look at it for you.

Detail Addict
4564 Enterprise Street
Fremont, CA 94538
510-623-7898

Leo
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
ChevyThunder
 
Drives: pinto
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: saturn
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
I want to see some pics of the CL65!!! I love that car! Funny story about that car. A couple years ago when I still had my last car (2000 SS 6-speed), I was cruising along with a friend in my car and a CL pulls up alongside and passes me. Well I started to speed up just to get a look at it and he speeds up to, fairly quickly. So I drop a couple gears and hit it. He's staying just ahead of me so I'm thinking I'm doin pretty good, then out of nowhere he literally is just gone! My jaw dropped, it was like he wasn't hitting it at all, when I was full throttle! So I get up to the light that he's stopped at, sure enough I see Biturbo on the side!! The guy looks at me and gives me a thumbs up, with his suit hanging in the back window (I thought that was cool). The light turns green and I launch and by the time I get across the crosswalk, he's passed the entire intersection!!! Love that car!

Sorry don't mean to get off topic, just thought I would share that. As far as the scratch on the OP's car......it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars to fix. I don't know of any body shops in your area, but I would try having it polished out first. If that doesn't work then they might have to repaint that area or at least fill it. Good luck with the fix!

-Mike
Guy did an awesome job on my car today and for much less than the body shop quote

CL65.. her she is ....


ChevyThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #11
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,507
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
$125 to fill a 2 inch scratch to metal, touch up all my rock dings (tons on the gills) and paint-less removal of a small minor dent on my driver front fender.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
rdono
Cavallino
 
rdono's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 211
Take it to the best, Cavallino in Palo Alto. Custom car & exotic car specialists, factory trained Ferrari etc. etc.

Look you get what you pay for, a scratch guy can make a "spot" airbrush repair, first time you buff out the car or after a long hot summer the edge will start to show. Hell they make scratch remover in a bottle, only 9.95 and if you order now you get two. . .

Depending on how deep it is it just may polish out but the factory doesn't put much paint on so go to a true pro. To paint it properly the entire panel the scratch is on must be painted (so says all paint manufacturers and GM). So if it is a door or bumper that entire part needs to be re-painedt, to do it correctly where you will never have any problem with it. Also the panels trim must be removed, all of it!. So the cost can vary from a low of $300 (Bay Area) to over 2K depending on where the damage is.

This is a legit insurance loss so maybe you should file a claim? Why don't you drop by Cavallino and talk with Javier, or send me a PM when you want to come by and I will meet you. We can try a polish and/or I can make some recommendations. Advice is free. Just remember to do it right or brush touch & live with it for now, otherwise you will accelerate the paints deterioration and de-value the car.

IN conjunction with a Suspension seminar at Custom alignment & Pedders, we are planning a seminar at Cavallino, maybe we should demonstrate a proper refinishing technique, brush touch how to, etc. Sometime this July.
__________________
rdono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
2010rod
JAWS
 
2010rod's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Silver Ice Metallic
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdono View Post
Take it to the best, Cavallino in Palo Alto. Custom car & exotic car specialists, factory trained Ferrari etc. etc.

Look you get what you pay for, a scratch guy can make a "spot" airbrush repair, first time you buff out the car or after a long hot summer the edge will start to show. Hell they make scratch remover in a bottle, only 9.95 and if you order now you get two. . .

Depending on how deep it is it just may polish out but the factory doesn't put much paint on so go to a true pro. To paint it properly the entire panel the scratch is on must be painted (so says all paint manufacturers and GM). So if it is a door or bumper that entire part needs to be re-painedt, to do it correctly where you will never have any problem with it. Also the panels trim must be removed, all of it!. So the cost can vary from a low of $300 (Bay Area) to over 2K depending on where the damage is.

This is a legit insurance loss so maybe you should file a claim? Why don't you drop by Cavallino and talk with Javier, or send me a PM when you want to come by and I will meet you. We can try a polish and/or I can make some recommendations. Advice is free. Just remember to do it right or brush touch & live with it for now, otherwise you will accelerate the paints deterioration and de-value the car.

IN conjunction with a Suspension seminar at Custom alignment & Pedders, we are planning a seminar at Cavallino, maybe we should demonstrate a proper refinishing technique, brush touch how to, etc. Sometime this July.
Count me in for that!
2010rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
tangorover
 
tangorover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 469
The CL55 is truly a sleeper car. People who dont realize think of it as just another C until it takes off.
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #15
ChevyThunder
 
Drives: pinto
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: saturn
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangorover View Post
The CL55 is truly a sleeper car. People who dont realize think of it as just another C until it takes off.
The CL 55 is a sleeper... not sure if you are referring to my car but it is a CL65 .. the CL55 is a V8 and the CL65 is a V12 twin turbo well over 600 HP and well over 700 lb ft of torque ... stock......
ChevyThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
tangorover
 
tangorover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 469
Oppsie I meant the CL65 of course!!!
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
rdono
Cavallino
 
rdono's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 211
oops, thought I was on the Camaro forum.
__________________

Last edited by rdono; 05-17-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo
rdono is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chronicle of the Red Devil - a Lingenfeltered and Pedderized 2010 Camaro 600hp-lpe Member Car Journals 86 09-14-2011 07:17 AM
What's considered a Muscle Car? SyN General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 125 09-25-2010 01:04 AM
The first 4 months of owning my car - pics / vids included Crowley 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 19 09-30-2009 02:05 PM
Tired of Waiting - Pics of My New Hyundai Genesis Coupe camaropete 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 101 08-26-2009 10:31 PM
What makes a car a "tuner" car? Dentyneice General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 8 05-11-2009 11:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.