Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

View Poll Results: What Do You Think It Will Be?
Twin Turbo V6 (Leno Car) 14 10.61%
Supercharged V8 (LSA etc.) 118 89.39%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboy23 View Post
I have a feeling that the Z28 is going to be a lot like the Jay Leno car, too many hints and with cafe standards it's gonna be hard not to be. They might just offer a special edition SS with the S/C, too many company's with Superchargers for the Camaro for GM to do it too. I'm thinking Twin Turbo 6 with racing suspension/brakes etc. input, ideas? Try to keep it clean guys, just asking opinions, check out the Poll.
I'm seeing CTS-V power with CTS-V brakes. LSA has a nice price and with the exception of the intercooler upper manifold, it would drop in with what seems like (at least what's been posted so far) minimal fuss. The rotors and calipers look to bolt right up. Maybe some aluminum in the cradles and control arms. That might make up for some of the added weight of the components above, and adding 30-40 more horses to the CTS-Vs 556 I think would get it dang close, if not better, the the '11 GT500 (I'm leaving out more chassis/suspension tuning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
I dont think anyone else has come up with this idea yet...(not gunna say im 100% sure about that tho)

What if GM released a TT z28 and a LS9 ZL1

Just saying it would fit with what they represent. The Z28 being a high-revving track car and the ZL1 being a monster

I know its a long shot...but just throwing it out there...
IMVHO - I can see the Leno car for body mods' only. As far as a ZL1 - I don't see that happening, not for a while, if anything. If enthusiasm remains what it is now, I might see that be a possibility in the future (like a Cobra Jet model or something), but I think it'd be too expensive for Camaro. I won't say that I wouldn't want it to be an option though, just like I think it'd be great to see a TT V6; just not in Z28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
I already have my SS but they shouldn't even offer the Camaro with a V6, much less a Z28 with a V6,V8, monster cubes, Supercharger or Turboed, and a race level automatic tranny
V6 is a good idea for those that value the looks more than the performance (or just don't need all that performance). Though the V6 model doesn't seem to be the popular model than many thought would keep Camaro healthy (sales-wise) initially, I think it will do just that over the following years. I believe much of the initial Camaro sales were from the faithful, and the true success of Camaro will be sustained with V6 models. Not everyone needs, or wants, 400+ horsepower. How often, really, can one use it anyways, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
Just an FYI ppl like you get flamed a lot on this site!
40 posts and already saying something like this???
To me it just sounds ignorant
Camaro's shouldn't be offered as a v6? Name one year in the HISTORY of the camaro that a V6 wasn't offered.
Don't feed the flaming. Opinions are allowed; how they are stated is another matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboy23 View Post
Well just looking at previous years the Z28 has never had more power output than the SS (if I'm not mistaken). No matter what if the Z28 has an LSA and ends up with 556 HP it won't compare to some of the Mustangs, and definitely won't compare to the GT500 price wise. The GT500 starts at $48,000 and has 550 HP, to compare the CTS-V has 556 HP and starts at $62,000. Also to top it off the Mustang is lighter, it just wouldn't make sense for GM to do something like the Z28 and have it be a S/C V8.
There was also no SS in Camaro's line-up for something like a couple decades, too... Who's to say Z28 will even have LSA, and that, even if it did, that it would have only 556 horse'? CTS-V has a pretty choked exhaust, for noise I suspect, so why couldn't a few more horses be freed with bigger pipes, an X-pipe (like ZR1), and some higher flowing mufflers with more aggressive sound? I do agree that 556 horse' and all the weight LSA would add to the chassis and suspension would probably not keep it close enough to the GT500, but I really don't think that it would be left with only that much power. I can't prove it; I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

The '10 2SS starts at $34K; I think Z28 would be based off of this trim level. I think adding LSA and CTS-V brakes, along with other enhancements I've outlined already, would make it comparable to the GT500; there might be a premium that SS had over the Mustang initially, but I think it would be justified with the IRS and a few other features. My bottom line is that I think with the validation that GM already has with these major components on other cars would make engineering costs more feasible and keep Z28 costs close enough to the GT500.

I can't prove any of it though, lol. JMVHOs, just like yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again. A TTV6 Z28 (like Jay Leno's car) makes absolutely no sense. The only thing that might get carried over is the styling. Why doesn't it make sense? Well, it would deliver about the same power as an SS. With about the same weight as an SS. For more money than an SS. Probably with the same fuel economy too. While the V6 you start with is lighter than a V8 by 50-75 lbs, a pair of turbo chargers do not weigh 0 pounds. And their plumbing doesn't either. And neither does the intercooler. Plus, GM would have to extensive (and expensive) R&D for a low volume engine. So the millions upon millions of dollars spend on R&D and tooling would get spread across a small number of engines. The LSA has an assembly line running, its development paid for, and offers a lot bigger performance gain than a TTV6 would. The CAFE argument isn't too strong either. GM will sell around 5000 Z28's per year. Their total US fleet is in the millions, so several thousand Z28's getting something like 15/21 will hardly be felt. Strangely, the SS will likely be a bigger strain on their CAFE score than the Z28 will, due to volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm under the impression that the TTV6 was a feeler to see how people responded to a Camaro with that configuration. After all, GM is working on a 3.0L TTV6 that might go into a future Camaro and other products. The Leno car also may have been a feeler for a different styling package. The response was very positive for the hood and fog light assemblies. This styling package could be a Z28, just as rumor has predicted.

We can only speculate until GM tells us something solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Often, its not what gets said, but rather how it is said.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
V6 = economical V8 = Performance plain and simple.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #28
Sour DeeZ

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP'N B View Post
I already have my SS but they shouldn't even offer the Camaro with a V6, much less a Z28 with a V6,V8, monster cubes, Supercharger or Turboed, and a race level automatic tranny

Wow. Someone should not be on this forum...
Sour DeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #29
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour DeeZ View Post
Wow. Someone should not be on this forum...
I would argue that the people who shouldn't participate on a forum are the ones who aren't open to free discussion.

Back on topic though, LSA all the way.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT 99 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to CAP'N B
I apologize if I offended anybody with the way I expressed my opinion.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #31
Maa107
Someone give me a Camaro!

Drives: '09HHR
this is what i think; it'll be a twin turbo v6 reasons being that if and only if the z28 is built it'll most likely be in 2012 for a '13 MY, and by then all these "green" bills will be passed making it mandatory for this car, or any car for that matter, to pass certain criterias such as a minimum MPG. Heck I'll be surprised if GM is still able to produce a V8 by then, the way things are going.

Note: everything i have just stated is only my theory and no concrete facts, so please do not hold me agianst anything I have just stated ...but also feel free to comment. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maa107 View Post
this is what i think; it'll be a twin turbo v6 reasons being that if and only if the z28 is built it'll most likely be in 2012 for a '13 MY, and by then all these "green" bills will be passed making it mandatory for this car, or any car for that matter, to pass certain criterias such as a minimum MPG. Heck I'll be surprised if GM is still able to produce a V8 by then, the way things are going.

Note: everything i have just stated is only my theory and no concrete facts, so please do not hold me agianst anything I have just stated ...but also feel free to comment. Thank you for your time.
There are no proposed laws mandating minimum fuel economy standards. While CAFE is a dumb way to try and use less gasoline, it isn't that dumb. CAFE is an average for the entire company, so everything from the Volt to the Regal to the CTS-V gets added together. The basics are that you take the fuel economy of a car and multiply it by the number of those cars sold. Add it up for all the vehicles sold, then divide by the total number of vehicles sold. Now, how they calculate a particular cars CAFE score is a little complicated since it isn't based on the EPA window sticker. But roughly, it will equate to the highway rating you see.

And regarding the fear of losing V8's, the Camaro SS gets about the same fuel economy as some high performance 4bangers and is a little behind some V6 coupes. The Chevy Small Block will enter its 5th generation soon with a 10-15% estimated increase in fuel efficiency. Lastly, cars that have a longer wheelbase and wider track width than average get a little compensation for their CAFE score. They are allowed to be a little less efficient without hurting the overall corporate average. Conversely, smaller than average 'footprints' will be expected to be more efficient. The ~300 hp turbocharged cars like the Evo or WRX are in much more danger than V8 Camaros.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #33
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maa107 View Post

Did GM just spend 850 million on the next generation V-8

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #34
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 1967 FI Corvette, CRT ZL1, 2015 Z51
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I have to agree completely, would not make any sense to have two 425 hp engines for the same car and have nothing to compete heads up with the GT500. The GT500 has 550HP for 2011 and they are testing a 600HP Coyote S/C engine now for possible future use. I have said before that I am waiting for the Z28 because I truly believe it will be the S/C LSA/LS9 engine. I also believe GM when they told us that they will not be left behind by the competition. GM, don't let me down.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #35
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
FPATT
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #36
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
V6 = economical V8 = Performance plain and simple.
tell that to the GTR and other high powered 6's. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote