Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #141
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,223
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
I"m proud to do it

I'll be back state-side in decemberish to start my power modding and hopefully check out your car
__________________
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #142
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Thanks Doc. I think your Blue Angel is such a cool build so that means a lot coming from you.
Calling my project a "build" is extremely gracious of you; all I'm doing is replacing a few parts with upgraded ones. What you're doing is a genuine build. I'm not even in the same stadium as you, much less the same league. Even if I had the money I wouldn't know how to do half of what you're doing.

Sleeper cars can be so much fun. I remember some years ago a guy put a World War II Rolls Royce Merlin V12 engine from a Spitfire in an actual Rolls Royce. From the outside it looked like a dead stock Rolls Royce. He said it was hilarious to pull up behind a Ferrari or Porsche doing 180 on the autobahn and flash his brights for them to move over. I can only imagine what Ferrari drivers must have thought looking in their rear view mirror and seeing that barn door front end of a Rolls flashing its brights at them at that speed LOL. And then blow past them. It could cruise at 200 mph. Of course I think it got something like 6 mpg but he was rich and didn't care.

I can't wait to see what yours can do. I'd love to see it if you'll be showing it anywhere in southern California.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #143
8cd03gro


 
Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Calling my project a "build" is extremely gracious of you; all I'm doing is replacing a few parts with upgraded ones. What you're doing is a genuine build. I'm not even in the same stadium as you, much less the same league. Even if I had the money I wouldn't know how to do half of what you're doing.

Sleeper cars can be so much fun. I remember some years ago a guy put a World War II Rolls Royce Merlin V12 engine from a Spitfire in an actual Rolls Royce. From the outside it looked like a dead stock Rolls Royce. He said it was hilarious to pull up behind a Ferrari or Porsche doing 180 on the autobahn and flash his brights for them to move over. I can only imagine what Ferrari drivers must have thought looking in their rear view mirror and seeing that barn door front end of a Rolls flashing its brights at them at that speed LOL. And then blow past them. It could cruise at 200 mph. Of course I think it got something like 6 mpg but he was rich and didn't care.

I can't wait to see what yours can do. I'd love to see it if you'll be showing it anywhere in southern California.

Holy F*CK 1,xxx hp right there.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #144
se7en

 
Drives: 87 Pinto on 32's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 1,774
Im in awe right now!!
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #145
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I"m proud to do it

I'll be back state-side in decemberish to start my power modding...
Cool Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Calling my project a "build" is extremely gracious of you; all I'm doing is replacing a few parts with upgraded ones. What you're doing is a genuine build. I'm not even in the same stadium as you, much less the same league. Even if I had the money I wouldn't know how to do half of what you're doing.

Well, I know you see it all the time, but I think the Blue Angel looks awesome.

Sleeper cars can be so much fun. I remember some years ago a guy put a World War II Rolls Royce Merlin V12 engine from a Spitfire in an actual Rolls Royce. From the outside it looked like a dead stock Rolls Royce. He said it was hilarious to pull up behind a Ferrari or Porsche doing 180 on the autobahn and flash his brights for them to move over. I can only imagine what Ferrari drivers must have thought looking in their rear view mirror and seeing that barn door front end of a Rolls flashing its brights at them at that speed LOL. And then blow past them. It could cruise at 200 mph. Of course I think it got something like 6 mpg but he was rich and didn't care.

That would be fun to see on You Tube...lol I am sure he wasn't too worried about his mpg.

Similar to that, but not really a sleeper - Charlie Lillard in California has a 55 Chevy with a 3,000 hp Rolls Royce engine mounted in it he got from an Australian guy. There is a clip of it here:
Another crazy setup.

I can't wait to see what yours can do. I'd love to see it if you'll be showing it anywhere in southern California.
It's just north of LA right now and will be driving around a bit sometime probably in August to road tune it. It'd be fun to see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Holy F*CK 1,xxx hp right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bws_82 View Post
Im in awe right now!!
Thanks for stopping in. Will be posting more pics soon.
__________________

Last edited by speedster; 06-30-2010 at 09:37 AM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #146
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
It's just north of LA right now and will be driving around bit somtime probably in August to road tune it. It'd be fun to see you.
Just let me know when; Tuesdays or Wednesdays would be the easiest days for me to drive up and meet you and see your fantastic car.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #147
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 5,935
Next on the list is the transmission. We tried and tried to find ways to utilize the 6L80E but at this point this is too much TQ and HP for presently available configurations. In addition - the 6L80E actually has too many gears for the SST. (It would have to be set up to start in 2nd at a track - as a general rule, the higher the output the more you want the engine to do the work and the less you rely on the multiplication of the transmission and rear gear ratio.

So after lots of digging around we settled on a Bowler 4L85E transmission. We spoke with many shops and top builders kept saying Bowler, so that is where we ended up. This transmission is the closest thing to bullet proof (outside of a non-street friendly Powerglide or Lenco) that we could find.

I will not bore you with the gory details but every part but the case is HP specific and has been replaced.

We stayed with a 2.48 first gear ratio. The transmission is 100% programmable and computer controlled. On the fly we can change transmission programs between street/strip/road race/long cruise. These programs can optimize it for power/economy or cool running.

This transmission has an extra deep pan to clear the transbrake and allow for additional fluid capacity. A neat feature alluded to earlier is that the transbrake is controlled by the right TapShift button (along with a hidden arming switch) and the left TapShift button controls the LineLoc. Stealthy.

The converter is a HD billet one that has the stall optimized for the torque curve of this engine and still retains lock-up capability.

Another reason for going to this level is that old adage - you get what you pay for. This 4L85E has already been broken in and fully dyno tested under EXTREME loads at their shop. Actually Mark (Bowler) knew the capability of the motor and after running it on the dyno, took it all back apart to check for any wear marks. He found one spot and machined that part to perfectly match its mate with a close tolerance and then put it all back together and repeated the process until it was perfect. That is just way cool...

So here are the transmission pics.
First Pic - The transmission is here !
Second Pic - Bowler 4L85E Extreme
Third Pic - Deep pan to clear the transbrake, add more fluid and strengthen the lower tranmission case.
Fourth Pic - This is the Input Shaft made from 300M. All shafts in this unit are 300M.
Fifth Pic - CNC Billet Converter - you can even see the marks in the metal where they mounted it to test it. This converter is also designed for a 6 bolt connection to the flexplate.
Sixth Pic - Note the massive welds and the thickness of the output flange. Heavy Duty stuff they built.
Attached Images
      
__________________

Last edited by speedster; 08-28-2010 at 08:07 AM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #148
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495


I can't wait to see this thing....

I have a feeling that when Radz28 sees these tranny pic... he's gonna...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #149
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Next on the list is the transmission. We tried and tried to find ways to utilize the 6L80E but at this point this is too much TQ and HP for presently available configurations. In addition - the 6L80E actually has too many gears for the SST. (It would have to be set up to start in 2nd at a track - as a general rule, the higher the output the more you want the engine to do the work and the less you rely on the multiplication of the transmission and rear gear ratio.

So after lots of digging around we settled on a Bowler 4L85E transmission. We spoke with many shops and a top builders kept saying Bowler, so that is where we ended up. This transmission is the closest thing to bullet proof (outside of a non-street friendly Powerglide or Lenco) that we could find.

I will not bore you with the gory details but every part but the case is HP specific and has been replaced.

We stayed with a 2.48 first gear ratio. The transmission is 100% programmable and computer controlled. On the fly we can change transmission programs between street/strip/road race/long cruise. These programs can optimize it for power/economy or cool running.

This transmission has an extra deep pan to clear the transbrake and allow for additional fluid capacity. A neat feature alluded to earlier is that the transbrake is controlled by the right TapShift button (along with a hidden arming switch) and the left TapShift button controls the LineLoc. Stealthy.

The converter is a HD billet one that has the stall optimized for the torque curve of this engine and still retains lock-up capability.

Another reason for going to this level is that old adage - you get what you pay for. This 4L85E has already been broken in and fully dyno tested under EXTREME loads at their shop. Actually Mark (Bowler) knew the capability of the motor and after running it on the dyno, took it all back apart to check for any wear marks. He found one spot and machined that part to perfectly match its mate with a close tolerance and then put it all back together and repeated the process until it was perfect. That is just way cool...

So here are the transmission pics.
First Pic - The transmission is here !
Second Pic - Bowler 4L85E Extreme
Third Pic - Deep pan to clear the transbrake, add more fluid and strengthen the lower tranmission case.
Fourth Pic - This is the Input Shaft made from 300M. All shafts in this unit are 300M.
Fifth Pic - CNC Billet Converter - you can even see the marks in the metal where they mounted it to test it.
Sixth Pic - Note the massive welds and the thickness of the output flange. Heavy Duty stuff they built.
That tranny pan and converter are sweet looking! Are the electronics by Bowler, or do they use aother companies (like TCI or something)? I only ask because I've only noticed similar controls from that company, but I'm sure there are more out there. I'm just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post


I can't wait to see this thing....

I have a feeling that when Radz28 sees these tranny pic... he's gonna...
If I post what I'm thinking, I'll be banned - that is all GTAHVIT's right!!!

With all due respect to everyone who's got build threads going: I have to say this is probably the coolest one yet. OMG!
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WBPioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #150
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

If I post what I'm thinking, I'll be banned - that is all GTAHVIT's right!!!

With all due respect to everyone who's got build threads going: I have to say this is probably the coolest one EVER!!!. OMG!
Fixed...


LMAO

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 07-01-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: ...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #151
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Fixed...


LMAO
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WBPioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #152
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm betting you could shoot that Billet Torque Converter out of a Battle ship's 5" gun and you would just need to dust if off and slap it back in SST and be good..


GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #153
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post


I can't wait to see this thing....

I have a feeling that when Radz28 sees these tranny pic... he's gonna...
^^ Nice emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
That tranny pan and converter are sweet looking! Are the electronics by Bowler, or do they use aother companies (like TCI or something)? I only ask because I've only noticed similar controls from that company, but I'm sure there are more out there. I'm just curious

The Compushift is a controller made by HGM Electronics.
Here is a link for you: https://www.hgmelectronics.com/displ...Specifications


If I post what I'm thinking, I'll be banned - that is all GTAHVIT's right!!!

With all due respect to everyone who's got build threads going: I have to say this is probably the coolest one yet. OMG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I'm betting you could shoot that Billet Torque Converter out of a Battle ship's 5" gun and you would just need to dust if off and slap it back in SST and be good..
I sure hope so for the cost...

Thanks for the compliments guys...
Next up - cooling and suspension stuff.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #154
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
^^ Nice emoticon





Thanks for the compliments guys...
Next up - cooling and suspension stuff.
Are you back in town?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PEDDERS SUCCESSFULLY FITS 305s ON ALL 4 CORNERS! Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 467 06-11-2013 10:45 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 08:05 PM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 05:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.