Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #201
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveprimo View Post
ok once again Im no genius over here nor am I claiming to be when it comes to the turbo but I thought after reading many threads on this site the turbo makes killer horse power but very little torque and if thats so how can the LT with the turbo have 427 lb -ft?

I think you're mistaken. From what I've seen and experienced, the turbo makes good torque/hp on other cars, so why not this one? This V6 has a torque limiter built into the tune that can be tuned out(I believe).
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #202
SIXJAK


 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Branson MO
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Since I have the 1LS, I had non fogs/drl's so I ordered a set from Bfxenon. They are 8000K color. I decided to have them directly wired to a manual switch (with led) so I can have them on anytime I like. The kit was about just under $480 shipped. The lights installed easy, just popped out the "covers", dremeled an opening and the new lights popped in to the existing holes in the front bumper. I also installed HID bulbs for the headlights, which I got locally for $160 bucks. I love the HID's!
Thank you very much.
__________________
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #203
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveprimo View Post
ok once again Im no genius over here nor am I claiming to be when it comes to the turbo but I thought after reading many threads on this site the turbo makes killer horse power but very little torque and if thats so how can the LT with the turbo have 427 lb -ft?
The original dyno sheets from STS (around here somewhere) definitely showed way more torque than stock. Hopefully Z's car will dyno the same.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #204
Sniper4x4
 
Sniper4x4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, RS, Sunroof, IBM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Milpitas, CA
Posts: 23
Z Madness, two words
BAD ASS
__________________
Other current rides & toys:

1999 Civic
1999 GMC Suburban, 10" lift
2000 Ford Mustang GT conv.
1973 Kona Jetboat, 463 BB Olds "The Money Pit"
2007 Hi-Jumper sandrail powered by 2110 VW "Mexican Jumping Bean"
2008 Pace American 16x8 enclosed trailer with 600w Rockford system, ideal for tailgating & Pismo runs

The first one that got away:
1973 Camaro LT 350 with custom T-tops
Sniper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #205
daveprimo
 
daveprimo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
I think you're mistaken. From what I've seen and experienced, the turbo makes good torque/hp on other cars, so why not this one? This V6 has a torque limiter built into the tune that can be tuned out(I believe).
oh, ok. lol. I remember reading with aac's (i believe thats the name/acronym) and with in that thread there was a conversation regarding the small amount of torque compared the large amount of horses that was acquired with the turbo. You have more experience with this so I take your word for it and Im actually happy to hear that. I was leaning more on the side of swapping the engine sooner or later because if it didnt have the torque than in my opinion whats the point? Especially living in new york where 10 feet after the line if probably about the distance you can achieve without smashing into taxi or some shit, lol. Thanks for the reply bro.
daveprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #206
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
I hope they have this turbo worked out. It'll be nice to see some good numbers when it does get to a dyno. Then maybe we can begin to see the FI spread a bit. Right now I'm doing a few upgrades so when I do up the power I don't waste it all smokin' the tires.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #207
Z Madness
 
Z Madness's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
I hope they have this turbo worked out. It'll be nice to see some good numbers when it does get to a dyno. Then maybe we can begin to see the FI spread a bit. Right now I'm doing a few upgrades so when I do up the power I don't waste it all smokin' the tires.
I wouldn't do CAI or Header/Exhaust if you plan to go with the Turbo as you will won't be able to use most of it. Just trying to be helpful before you drop some $$$'s.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #208
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,245
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
I wouldn't do CAI or Header/Exhaust if you plan to go with the Turbo as you will won't be able to use most of it. Just trying to be helpful before you drop some $$$'s.
People like to get a little cost-effective power, but they end up having to replace those parts again later when they go for big power adders. If you're going to do a build, don't waste money on small stuff first. Get the big ticket items first, then see what you can install later.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #209
MustangConvert
 
Drives: ABM 1LT Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
People like to get a little cost-effective power, but they end up having to replace those parts again later when they go for big power adders. If you're going to do a build, don't waste money on small stuff first. Get the big ticket items first, then see what you can install later.
And that is why I have only upgraded the air filter. Granted it is going to be awhile before I get a turbo/SC (call me paranoid, but waiting 'til the warranty runs out), but no need to to spend 1k+ when I'm going to be replacing it down the road. Good advice for those that hadn't thought about it.

Can't wait to see those dyno numbers.
__________________
Was going to buy a Mustang, was going to buy a Mustang, and then I saw the 2010 Camaro... Camaro made it home July 18th, 2009[Camaro# ...24182].
MustangConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #210
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice
 
usa1camaro1969's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
I wouldn't do CAI or Header/Exhaust if you plan to go with the Turbo as you will won't be able to use most of it. Just trying to be helpful before you drop some $$$'s.
Nope. I'm talking traction and looking at weight reduction.
This car will fit a wide-ass tire. Instead they put these tall truck looking tires on it.(yes, I have the LS)
Take a look at some of the rear suspension pieces. They're fine for a street car, but I believe they will show some flex(especially with the rubber bushings). Drop springs and rear suspension pieces to plant the power.
I'm looking on here about weight reduction/management and I've started by trimming down me first(over 14-pounds from what was 242 according to the last VA physical and counting). Still contemplating other sources of weight reduction.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #211
Z Madness
 
Z Madness's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Nope. I'm talking traction and looking at weight reduction.
This car will fit a wide-ass tire. Instead they put these tall truck looking tires on it.(yes, I have the LS)
Take a look at some of the rear suspension pieces. They're fine for a street car, but I believe they will show some flex(especially with the rubber bushings). Drop springs and rear suspension pieces to plant the power.
I'm looking on here about weight reduction/management and I've started by trimming down me first(over 14-pounds from what was 242 according to the last VA physical and counting). Still contemplating other sources of weight reduction.
Gotcha! Scrmg has the best driver mod yet. I too am looking for reduction but don't want to sacrifice the comforts. Post your progress.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #212
SIXJAK


 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Branson MO
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Gotcha! Scrmg has the best driver mod yet. I too am looking for reduction but don't want to sacrifice the comforts. Post your progress.
Kudos, usa1camaro1969. 12lbs so far-184 down from 196 since July 1. 170-175 is the goal. I'm 5'10".

Next up, extricating those monstrosities other wise known as mufflers-those things have to weigh a ton-off the back end of my LT2...well...after window tint and H&R springs that is. Turbo is still a ways off.
__________________
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.

Last edited by SIXJAK; 07-13-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: punctuation
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #213
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!
 
CAMAR0's Avatar
 
Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brick House
Posts: 645
Anyone know how much weight coil overs drop off the car? The stock shocks and springs are heavy!!!!
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #214
esfkotaro
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Kudos, usa1camaro1969. 12lbs so far-184 down from 196 since July 1. 170-175 is the goal. I'm 5'10".

Next up, extricating those monstrosities other wise known as mufflers-those things have to weigh a ton-off the back end of my LT2...well...after window tint and H&R springs that is. Turbo is still a ways off.

I hear you guys on the weight loss bit, I used to be serious into martial arts and fitness. Was a very solid 165lbs @ 8% bodyfat, at just under 5'9. Then about 2 1/2 years ago I went through some stuff, stopped caring and got real busy working and not so busy working out. Also went from eating very well (almost OCD-level nutritional awareness), to nightly wendy's and BK. At worst, balooned up to a grizzly 245, in late May.

Realized how bad it had become early June when I couldn't even keep up with my 52 year old dad doing landscaping (I'm still a good deal stronger than he, but I just didn't have the energy anymore).

Slowly getting myself back onto the fitness bandwagon. Down to 225 and counting, taking my time and not trying to rush it (although I'd love to be below 200 for my brother's wedding in Sept). Mostly working on a not-so-strict diet and a daily AM workout routine (cardio 4 days\week, circuit training the other 3) for just 45 minutes. I have a nice gym in my home, so it's not hard to stick with.

Besides, this car has enough weight to push around without adding my fat @$$ to compound the problem, lol.

Can't wait to see what Z can put down with this turbo kit, it's already looking great. I love seeing progress on this V6, it just has so much potential with all the great tech under the hood.
__________________
2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM Stripes
MRTv2 :: Injen CAI
Factory Spoiler Added

Coming soon (end of summer, hopefully):
JBA Shorties :: Hurst or MTI Shifter (undecided)
New 20" Wheels (undecided) :: Fogs :: GFX :: CF Heat Extractor hood :: Painted-On CGM Stripes :: G-2 Painted Calipers :: Painted Bowties
esfkotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #215
rhd
dirtbag
 
rhd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Addison TX
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAR0 View Post
Anyone know how much weight coil overs drop off the car? The stock shocks and springs are heavy!!!!
i think its something like 20 lb
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #216
DON_RAFA
NY5THGEN
 
DON_RAFA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/SIM/IO
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: FAST LANE
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
I wouldn't do CAI or Header/Exhaust if you plan to go with the Turbo as you will won't be able to use most of it. Just trying to be helpful before you drop some $$$'s.
I understand the CAI would be pointless down the road but wouldn't headers/exhaust be beneficial since there will be more flow vs stock?
DON_RAFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #217
Blade


 
Blade's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS SIM RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,632
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON_RAFA View Post
I understand the CAI would be pointless down the road but wouldn't headers/exhaust be beneficial since there will be more flow vs stock?
Z Madness is saying that because this turbo setup is meant to fit the stock pipes. I replaced my pipes with 2.5" throughout, so I would have to do some customization to do this i.e. more money spent
__________________
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #218
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture
 
stand-al0ne's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jamlando, FL
Posts: 1,086
Thumbs up dyno days

Z, how far off are we before you are able to get a dyno run in? Are you still waiting on the meth kit from STS?

Also, is this car being daily driven (or will be once everything is installed?)
How has the car been acting? Any burbles, rough idle, fire under the hood or the like?


Thanks,

SA
__________________
EBC Brakes| DOT 4|Bigworm| SickSpeed| BMR | IPF | Vararam| MRT |MGW | Nitto | Rx |
Iggee |ZL-1 Sways| Hurst | Apex Racing|Past: Srt-4| 6.0L GTO- RIP | '98 Integra

stand-al0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #219
Z Madness
 
Z Madness's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
Z, how far off are we before you are able to get a dyno run in? Are you still waiting on the meth kit from STS?

Also, is this car being daily driven (or will be once everything is installed?)
How has the car been acting? Any burbles, rough idle, fire under the hood or the like?


Thanks,

SA
I was orignally waiting for the Water/Meth Kit but now looks like it will be a while before STS get's that done. Also, I was waiting to datalog before I got the dyno but the Spark Plugs STS orignally sent were wrong. Thanks to Rod1, I was able to find the correct ones which should be here by Friday if they are in stock. Once I get that, I will data log and then take it for a Dyno. Will have to be on a Saturday though as I work during the week.

No, this is not/will not be a daily driver for another year. However, I was planning to bring it to work tomorrow to make sure it handles in traffic (about a 45 minute commute in stop and go). So far, all of the test runs have been great, car runs absolutely smooth and is still on Trifecta's "base" tune. No CEL, SES, etc. lights.

I know I need to get it Dyno'd for everyone so I will try to get that done soon. I have been working on other things like putting on Katzkin's, side skirts, rear ground effects, lighting, so that's been taking up a lot of the evenings! Trying to get it all done by the end of July. Stay tuned.....
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #220
christianmotox


 
christianmotox's Avatar
 
Drives: ( . )( . )
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,734
Awesome, Looking forward to the Dyno.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #221
Dyk-NO

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage,Alaska
Posts: 915
__________________
"From ZERO to a Tire-Burning HERO!"


Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #222
rhd
dirtbag
 
rhd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Addison TX
Posts: 1,041
im just kinda throwing this out there but i wouldnt be mad with more videos lol....
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #223
ROD1
Back to the hunt....
 
ROD1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Awesome, Looking forward to the Dyno.
+1
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #224
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,742
How about some 0 to 60 MPH runs? Any chance of that?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #225
speedy_g
 
speedy_g's Avatar
 
Drives: CAMARO RS V6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
I was orignally waiting for the Water/Meth Kit but now looks like it will be a while before STS get's that done. Also, I was waiting to datalog before I got the dyno but the Spark Plugs STS orignally sent were wrong. Thanks to Rod1, I was able to find the correct ones which should be here by Friday if they are in stock. Once I get that, I will data log and then take it for a Dyno. Will have to be on a Saturday though as I work during the week.

No, this is not/will not be a daily driver for another year. However, I was planning to bring it to work tomorrow to make sure it handles in traffic (about a 45 minute commute in stop and go). So far, all of the test runs have been great, car runs absolutely smooth and is still on Trifecta's "base" tune. No CEL, SES, etc. lights.

I know I need to get it Dyno'd for everyone so I will try to get that done soon. I have been working on other things like putting on Katzkin's, side skirts, rear ground effects, lighting, so that's been taking up a lot of the evenings! Trying to get it all done by the end of July. Stay tuned.....
What's going on the end of July ? You sound like your going to war lol car show ..
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updated - Twins almost here! - STS (Twin Turbo) Camaro SS 5th Gen SS Forced Induction - V8 249 08-19-2012 09:45 PM
Granatelli / Turbo Tech Twin Bottom Mount Turbo Systems Granatelli Forced Induction 20 11-30-2010 06:47 PM
Why TT over SC? Jefe's SS Forced Induction - V8 10 10-02-2010 03:14 AM
STS Remote Mount Turbo Kit for V6 ZNOLMT Forced Induction - V6 102 06-09-2010 12:18 PM
ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE* TURBO Camaro SS -- 750hp Custom Single Turbo Kit (T04Z) Ultimate Performance Forced Induction - V8 496 10-11-2009 01:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.