Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #51
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Actually, if he'd use his company supplied regular driver (who's getting paid whether he's sitting in Detroit or driving to DC) to drive him to DC, he'd have a full 9 hours to work. A cell phone and a wireless cellular card in his laptop would keep him connected. Or perhaps he could spend the time just thinking about the best way to turn the Titanic before it hits the proverbial iceberg.

Compare that to taking a regular flight on a airplane:
  1. Drive to airport - 30 minutes. (Time used 30 minutes)
  2. Arrive 1.5 hours early to check in and clear security - 1.5 hours wasted. (Time used 2.0 hours)
  3. Flight time from Detroit to DC - 1.5 hours. (No phone/internet) (Time used 3.5 hours)
  4. Taxi to gate, disembark, get to taxi stand - 30 minutes wasted. (Time used 4.0 hours)
  5. Take taxi from airport to the lions pit (Senate) - 30 minutes. (Time used 4.5 hours)

On his own plane, sure it makes more sense that he's wasting time if he drives but if you make him go on a regular flight....

Does it really matter anyhow? He's already in DC.
I checked with a couple airlines and a first class flight from detroit on a 1 day notice (if the airline is not booked up) is aproximately $1,200.00. and you forgot that many times a flight is delayed or that to get the earliest flight you may have to change planes and have a layover. even more time delay.. so in a corporate world where time is very expensive to waste, a private plane is more important than saving a few bucks by using commercial airlines. BUT nothing says they can't downsize their jet to a smaller twin engine Cessna.... Flight time may take a little longer but it would be available at a moments notice.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #52
L. James
'Vetteran

Drives: 2007 CORVETTE, 2001 Camaro DD
Send a message via MSN to L. James
Ford does NOT want either of the other two to fail, realizing that this will pull them down into the hole it creates.

“Because our industry is an interdependent one, with broad overlap in supplier and dealer networks, the collapse of one or both of our domestic competitors would threaten Ford as well,” the company said in its plan. “It is in our own self-interest, as well as the nation’s, to seek support for the industry at a time of great peril to this important manufacturing sector of our economy.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/bu...to.html?ref=us

Also, Mulally will be driving a Ford Escape Hybrid to Congress.

Finally, Mulally will take the salary cut if loans are accessed.

"If the company does access the loans, it said Mr. Mulally’s salary, which amounted to $21 million last year, would be reduced to $1 a year."
Old 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #53
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Assuming a bi-weekly pay period, would payroll send them a check for $0.038 every other week? Also, wouldn't that be illegal since he'd be making less than minimum wage?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #54
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
what about the time a CEO is wasting in the car and not being able to work? Ok, now that his salary will most likely be $1 it doesn't really matter, but before that it's a point to think about imo.
lets say he makes 10 mill a year divided by 2080 hours that's 4,807 dollars an hour.

and he's driving about 6 hours. GM will be spending 28,846 for him to drive.

So I wonder if that is cost effective.... I'll bet 100 bucks that chartering a jet, given the time savings is more cost effective than having him drive there.

But, it's all about perception isn't it.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #55
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
lets say he makes 10 mill a year divided by 2080 hours that's 4,807 dollars an hour.

and he's driving about 6 hours. GM will be spending 28,846 for him to drive.

So I wonder if that is cost effective.... I'll bet 100 bucks that chartering a jet, given the time savings is more cost effective than having him drive there.

But, it's all about perception isn't it.
I'd take that bet. He's not doing the driving - some go boy is so that leaves him plenty of time to work 100% on his laptop and crackberry. Zero downtime.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #56
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Way too much was made of the private jets...I mean honeslty what do CEOs do when they need to be somewhere...drive?

Oh wait...they are driving this time!

BS! Congress and most of the American public made way too too much of it!!!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #57
GTAHVIT
Blessed

^ I agree

And the condition of my bet is the CEO has to drive....
Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #58
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
And the condition of my bet is the CEO has to drive....
HEY!!!! No late qualifiers......
Old 12-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #59
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
HEY!!!! No late qualifiers......
Ok, Fine. Bob Lutz can drive.....
Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #60
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Ok, Fine. Bob Lutz can drive.....
Bob could fly himself, he has his own jet.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #61
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
gtahvit, its a 10 hour drive, but you're right, this exact conversation is happening on MSNBC right now. Talking about how much productivity is lost due to this stupid stunt.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #62
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
if MSNBC can see how ridiculous this is...that's got to raise a few flags.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #63
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
here's the blog.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/to...necessary.aspx
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #64
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
If anything driving and LT with the V6 would be the smart move.

The success of Camaro 5th is not on SS. It's on LS and LT.

If they can't sell in large numbers the car won't stay in production long.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #65
VICTORY RED 1SS
booyaah

Drives: VICTORY RED 1SS
Maybe they should ask congress what is an acceptable mode of travel. Then any angry sentiment over travel would be the governments fault, not the ceo's.

Ithink less time should be spent worrying about how they get to the meeting, and more time spent on the issues at hand. The whole idea of how they get to the meeting is a stupid topic thought up by stupid people and is the same kind of stupid people that call this program a bailout. It ain't no bailout, its helping people keep their jobs and avoiding a national disaster.
Too many college graduates tying the news opinions with no freakin idea about anything. Its all about sensationalism in journalism these days. Its a bunch of ridiculous and meaningless hype.
Just let the big three go down the tubes and see what happens to the American economy. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the massive and deep damage to almost all industries.
The 25 bill is pocket change in comparison, even if it weren't a loan.
VICTORY RED 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #66
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORY RED 1SS View Post
Maybe they should ask congress what is an acceptable mode of travel. Then any angry sentiment over travel would be the governments fault, not the ceo's.

Ithink less time should be spent worrying about how they get to the meeting, and more time spent on the issues at hand. The whole idea of how they get to the meeting is a stupid topic thought up by stupid people and is the same kind of stupid people that call this program a bailout. It ain't no bailout, its helping people keep their jobs and avoiding a national disaster.
Too many college graduates tying the news opinions with no freakin idea about anything. Its all about sensationalism in journalism these days. Its a bunch of ridiculous and meaningless hype.
Just let the big three go down the tubes and see what happens to the American economy. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the massive and deep damage to almost all industries.
Thank you. Happy to get that off your chest?

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #67
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORY RED 1SS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
obviously I feel the same way. I do think it's cool that the CEO's used all the politicians sound bites against them to get some free publicity... At least it shows a little gamesmanship...

It's all a publicity stunt. In GM's case, I'm sure the marketing department was involved....

Anyway, Sensationalism? Yes. Publicity stunt? Yes. At least the CEO's didn't just roll over for them...
Old 12-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #68
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
At least the CEO's didn't just roll over for them...
who knows...they might be ridiculed for using 20 gallons of fuel to get there...they'll have to walk next time.

chalk one more reason up for why I hate politicians.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #69
VICTORY RED 1SS
booyaah

Drives: VICTORY RED 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yup. I feel much better now. I will feel even better when the government backs the automakers, who in turn better have a sound plan for restructuring and union grandfather contract settlements.
VICTORY RED 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote