Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
FlaSS

Drives: GTO
Sun Roof?

Any good pics of a car with the sunroof?

What about the double bump on the roof, how is the sunroof going to deal with that?

And, is the Sunroof going to slide open, inside or outside? Or, just tilt open?

Thanks for any info.
FlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Welcome to camaro5

This should answer most of your questions

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=sunroof
Old 12-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Albion

Drives: IOM 1ss
IMO,the sun-roof looks like a cheap after thought.Doing absolutely no justice to the effort that has been put into the rest of the car.
Albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albion View Post
IMO,the sun-roof looks like a cheap after thought.Doing absolutely no justice to the effort that has been put into the rest of the car.
Ironically enough, when we asked about it they explained it. Turns out they were concerned about raising the roof too high to make the car look awkward, but they wanted to be able to slide the glass into the roof (like you were probably expecting). But the designs took away from too much headroom in the car, and they made the wise decision to forgo the hidden sunroof and use the design you see now.

At least that is how I remember Scott explaining it to us.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
there are no good pics of the sunroof because it looks terrible opened. and it looks so terrible because they had to make it go outside the car when open, to give us a good low roof line.

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah, I was going to order a sunroof, but those pictures make it look not so good, especially when you remember you also loose the reverse mohawk. I'll be saving my money and not checking that option box.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
yeah i didnt order it on mine. the hard top with rev. mohawk looks so much better.

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
WCoolBreeze
2LT/RS RJT

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT W/CGM Rally Stripes
I have a 2LT/RS, RJT, Cyber Grey Metalic Stripes, 20" Polished wheels, and Sunroof on order. My question is how does the inside of the car look with the sunroof and how does it look without it. I also have a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T that has a sunroof and the overhead console ends just before the sunroof opening, it also has a inside cover that shields you from the sun when the sunroof is closed, also the sunroof slides into the roof behind it. I know that on the Camaro the sunroof opens upo, outside of the roof. If there are any pictures of how this area looks in a Camaro with and without a sunroof, could they please be posted.

Walt B.

Mods Done
CGM Gills, "RS" in both headrests, GMPP Exhaust w/Tips, RJT XM Antenna, RS Foglight/DRL Plug/Play Harness, Leather E-Brake Boot & Auto Boot, HUD Installed, Full ABL doors & Dash, RJT Heritage Grill, T-Rex Lower Grill, Roto-Fab CAI (RJT), W/W Reservoir, V-6 Radiator Cover (RJT), ADM Race Air Scoop, GM Cupholder & Footwell LEDs, Retrofit GM MyLink (w/Nav), Frameless Rearview Mirror, Backup Camera, T-5 Splitter, and Conv Spoiler.
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
paulm85
Red Jewl

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, M6
I am not sure if those pictures are out there Walt, I have been looking at a crapload of pictures of this car and all kinds of different angles. I have never seen what the overhead inside looks like with or without the sunroof. I am sure if there are some then they will be posted though.

I am also one of the ones who ordered a fully loaded 2ss without the roof. I need as much headroom as possible, being 6'4", and also because the roof line looks terrible with it open IMO.
paulm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The problem is I can go to any reputable aftermarket and have a quality moonroof installed that opens INTO the roof, with minimal headroom loss.

I rather doubt GM's engineers on this tidbit.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The problem is I can go to any reputable aftermarket and have a quality moonroof installed that opens INTO the roof, with minimal headroom loss.

Minimal is more than zero. Apparently to get the roof lines they wanted they cut it down to the wire.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
This thread just appeared with good shots of it open, i.e. up over the roof http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10963
Old 12-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Minimal is more than zero. Apparently to get the roof lines they wanted they cut it down to the wire.

And I would have been more than happy to have a few inches less of headroom...... you're buying a personal performance coupe. You want head room buy a school bus.

That's the approach GM's engineers should have taken.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Ironically enough, when we asked about it they explained it. Turns out they were concerned about raising the roof too high to make the car look awkward, but they wanted to be able to slide the glass into the roof (like you were probably expecting). But the designs took away from too much headroom in the car, and they made the wise decision to forgo the hidden sunroof and use the design you see now.

At least that is how I remember Scott explaining it to us.
That's 100% right. What looks like an afterthought was actually looked at VERY closely...I think we all might be surprised at how many different attempts they went through before arriving at a decision.

Quote:
And I would have been more than happy to have a few inches less of headroom...... you're buying a personal performance coupe. You want head room buy a school bus.

That's the approach GM's engineers should have taken.
They probably did that with HVAC, integrated nav, among many other things. When you're marketing to new audiences while still in a highly competitive segment, you can't rough house your way through everything and expect people to like it. I don't know how tall you are; but an inch can mean the world to taller people, and those who like to sit higher in their seats.

imo, I don't like any sunroof; but I prefer this design to the in-roof design. I think it adds flair when its open.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
I too consider headroom important. But I don't see the sunroof as adding flair...smart style. I see it for what it is, obtrusive...protruding, projecting.
For the practical criteria used, I completely agree with the design, but I wouldn't buy it if I wanted a sunroof. This is just not the car for an internal type. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Rodrunner; 12-26-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
SoFlaZ

Drives: Nothing special :-(
LOL I guess I'm the only person that thinks it looks alright. I feel like the few people that want the pre-pro/IVER whatever headlights:notheadlights:
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #17
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
LOL I guess I'm the only person that thinks it looks alright. I feel like the few people that want the pre-pro/IVER whatever headlights:notheadlights:
You're not alone. It looks perfectly fine to me as well. I ordered one in mine..
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
You're not alone. It looks perfectly fine to me as well. I ordered one in mine..
I'm ordering the sunroof. No one mentioned the large amount of light it allows in an otherwise dark interior. You dont have to open it to get the advantage of interior light during the day.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #19
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I'm ordering the sunroof. No one mentioned the large amount of light it allows in an otherwise dark interior. You dont have to open it to get the advantage of interior light during the day.
I'm in on the sunroof too. Everyone seems to hate it open, but I said originally if you look at the side profile of the car with it open the sunroof just continues the lines created by the hood scoop. To me, it looks great, but to each his (or her) own.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
paulv7260

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM L99
I ordered the sunroof because I like what it offers. Yep, it sticks up a bit and that kind of makes it look like an afterthought but for me the benefit outweighed not having one.
paulv7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #21
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2004 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
I ordered the sunroof on mine as well. While I wish it would hide, I am OK with it as is because I always wanted one and have never had one.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Have any of you taller guys been in a Sun Roof equipped 2010? I'm 6'4 / 227, and am considering changing my order to include one on my 1SS/RS. But when it comes, I don't want to be sitting there with my neck bent over looking at the dealer off to my side out of the corner of my eye, with him telling me, "Well, you ordered it!" (I got myself laughing now) If anybody has any insight, I'd appreciate reading what you have to say. Thanks for your time....
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #23
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:

I didn't know that any aftermarket companies had gotten a Camaro to design one yet, so ho can you say you can get one? maybe they can for other cars but that does not mean they will be able to for the Camaro.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #24
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
yeah i didnt order it on mine. the hard top with rev. mohawk looks so much better.

Plus, I had T-Tops on my IROC and I think I used them once, to see what it was like. The open top thing just doesn't do it for me.
- Xanthos

P.S. - Ask Number 3 - He's pretty tall (compared to me at least) and his 1LT had the sunroof. I didn't even notice the roof, though I'm only 5' 8".
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
Have any of you taller guys been in a Sun Roof equipped 2010? I'm 6'4 / 227, and am considering changing my order to include one on my 1SS/RS. But when it comes, I don't want to be sitting there with my neck bent over looking at the dealer off to my side out of the corner of my eye, with him telling me, "Well, you ordered it!" (I got myself laughing now) If anybody has any insight, I'd appreciate reading what you have to say. Thanks for your time....
Well the reason we got a sunroof going up and out of the car instead of down and in was supposed to give you taller guys more headroom. So there shouldn't be any problem there. All I can say is that it better give you more headroom because I want it to go down and in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post

Plus, I had T-Tops on my IROC and I think I used them once, to see what it was like. The open top thing just doesn't do it for me.
- Xanthos
Are you kidding, my T-tops came out almost every sunny day.