Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
oscar576
 
oscar576's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th Anniversary
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alice, Tx
Posts: 36
Question Speed limit disabled?

Ok first thing, I'm sorry, I didn't know which category this went under.
Ok I own a 1LT 2010 camaro and it's speed is limited to 118 mph.
My question is, is it possible to disable the speed lock?
Has anyone does this before?
Plz help!

Thank u,
Oscar T.
oscar576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
xLoGiK1
 
xLoGiK1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar576 View Post
Ok first thing, I'm sorry, I didn't know which category this went under.
Ok I own a 1LT 2010 camaro and it's speed is limited to 118 mph.
My question is, is it possible to disable the speed lock?
Has anyone does this before?
Plz help!

Thank u,
Oscar T.
It needs to be tuned.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
oscar576
 
oscar576's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th Anniversary
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alice, Tx
Posts: 36
How do I tune it?????
Sorry I'm new to this.
oscar576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Z Madness
 
Z Madness's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 531
check out Trifectaperformance.com
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
2010 Bumblebee

 
2010 Bumblebee's Avatar
 
Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,050
Is it worth going over 118 MPH ? You may run into warantee issues for messing with your computer and get a ticket. I have an SS and I haven't even gone that fast.
__________________
The Yellow Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=128

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew
 
mastertypodemon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stafford, VA [Formerly Dallas, TX]
Posts: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar576 View Post
Ok first thing, I'm sorry, I didn't know which category this went under.
Ok I own a 1LT 2010 camaro and it's speed is limited to 118 mph.
From what I understand, it's set there due to the tires. You have the 18" ones right? I think they're only rated up to 118. From what I understand reading some other threads, the 19" ones are up to 158.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Brownhornitt

 
Brownhornitt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertypodemon View Post
From what I understand, it's set there due to the tires. You have the 18" ones right? I think they're only rated up to 118. From what I understand reading some other threads, the 19" ones are up to 158.
This is correct. I would only change it if you got the higher speed rated tires. Safety first.
__________________
The Corvette is an animal.
Brownhornitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
RickyTheStorm
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS,04 Colorado,06 ZX6R
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 524
Yes - a simple tune can remove the speed governor.

No - It is not wise to go over 118 on public roads - especially with stock tires

Yes - It is okay to go over 118 on one of those mile long tracks at airports, deserts, etc.

No - It is not okay to do this on the factory tires


I have had my SS up to 152 MPH on an airport - could have kept going but I never disabled the 155 governor and frankly a lot can go wrong at that speed.

I understand the desire to go fast - the car looks fast when it is parked, and when in it you just want to make it go like it looks and feels, but unless you plan on doing this in a controlled environment just think about what would happen if a deer ran out in front of you.... not pretty.

Be safe man, and enjoy it!
__________________
Vararam CAI, ARH Headers, Flowmaster Exhaust, Nitto NT555Rs, Custom CAM and Tune - 11.981 @ 116.27



IOM - 2SS/RS - Auto - IAP - Sunroof - Ordered 10/13 (#7 at dealer)
3000(accepted to production ): 4/19/09
3300 (scheduled for prod ): 5/11/09
3400 (broadcast ): 5/16/09
3800 (produced ): 5/22/09
4150 (invoiced ): 6/01/09
4200 (shipped ): 6/01/09
5000 (at dealer ): 6/12/09
6000 (delivery to me ): 6/12/09
RickyTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
torquepower85
keepin it stock
 
torquepower85's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevrolette Corvette Sting Ray 1965
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTheStorm View Post
Yes - a simple tune can remove the speed governor.

No - It is not wise to go over 118 on public roads - especially with stock tires

Yes - It is okay to go over 118 on one of those mile long tracks at airports, deserts, etc.

No - It is not okay to do this on the factory tires


I have had my SS up to 152 MPH on an airport - could have kept going but I never disabled the 155 governor and frankly a lot can go wrong at that speed.

I understand the desire to go fast - the car looks fast when it is parked, and when in it you just want to make it go like it looks and feels, but unless you plan on doing this in a controlled environment just think about what would happen if a deer ran out in front of you.... not pretty.

Be safe man, and enjoy it!


I agree wholeheartedly. While it may be fun to ride in excess speeds, I do not endorse it simply for the fact that there are -soooo- many variables (in the vehicle or even in the environment) that come up at high speeds that may hinder your ability to maintain full control of your vehicle. Take this from a guy who totalled his first car because he thought it was the mach V.
torquepower85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
118 mph, 1lt, 2010 camaro, speed limit

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eric Berry's National Speed Super NZ1200 Camaro Build JusticePete 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 259 10-03-2013 09:10 AM
Unsatisfied Customer Warning - Late Model Speed Shooter1 Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences 90 04-29-2012 06:34 PM
Camaro SS: All Out Bonneville Unlimited Speed Test Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 75 08-23-2010 02:49 PM
Trap speed vs MPH Explained here nhra stocker Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 2 08-14-2010 09:15 AM
Getting to speed limit very quickly. wayner 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 51 06-25-2010 02:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.