Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
weedwacker13
 
Drives: 1990 isuzu trooper
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Stamford CT
Posts: 21
Slightly off topic, but how do you like the navi that you bought for the G8, Garmin nuvi 265T. I just bought the same one, though I got the wide screen. Still waiting for it to arrive, thanks to the wonderful post office. And if you could, tell me how the traffic situation works, it seems like a really great feature.
weedwacker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
Rodrunner
Senior Member
 
Rodrunner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: So. Maryland
Posts: 2,333
zebra might be right, the A-pillar may be your best choice. I would prefer it mounted there over the dash, yet, I know, that's not "built in".

I don't understand the no nav option either. Otherwise, they went balls to the wall, like AFM, remote start, tapshift, launch control, not just HIDs but also halo rings, ambient lighting, C&C package, On-Star, XM....makes no sense. Did I mention short stripes? Sorry....kidding!
__________________
2SS/RS - Black/Black - CGM Rally Stripes - Auto - VIN 10171
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Attorneyguy
 
Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwacker13 View Post
Slightly off topic, but how do you like the navi that you bought for the G8, Garmin nuvi 265T. I just bought the same one, though I got the wide screen. Still waiting for it to arrive, thanks to the wonderful post office. And if you could, tell me how the traffic situation works, it seems like a really great feature.
The nuvi 265T is the first nav unit I've ever purchased, so it is my only reference point. However, I have been very pleased with the unit so far. It has a great display, and all the relevant information is easy to read. It has gotten me to my destinations without any problems.

The traffic alerts, however, have failed to impress. So far, I have had two traffic alerts on my unit. But each time, the information that was given was wrong. The first time I got an alert, the nuvi said there was a traffic jam on a particular exit when in fact the traffic jam was 3 miles up the road. The second time I got an alert, there was no traffic at all. In fact, it was Christmas day when the alert went off, so I was really surprised there would be a traffic jam on that day. And sure enough, NONE to be found. I expect up-to-date traffic information given that the nuvi's traffic alerts are supported by advertising that randomly appears on your screen (from places like BP, Walgreens, and Ramada)...

Overall, though, I give the nuvi a thumbs up. I think there is a reason why the nuvis are so insanely popular. Good product.
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
Attorneyguy
 
Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1147 View Post
Struggling with the same issue....even my wife's new Traverse doesn't have NAV....I've got an excellent A/V guy here in St. Louis....JML Audio.....he'll figure out a way for me to get it integrated, make it look factory, and still continue utilizing all of the factory capabilities.

When I sat in NUMBER3's 1LT a couple days ago, this was one of the things I was thinking about and GM did NOT make this dash aftermarket "friendly" as all of the controls and faceplate are one integrated unit.

Good luck! Suction cup on the dash is the best I can offer you right now...
The Traverse doesn't even have Nav? Does it at least have OnStar navigation?

GM put all its money into OnStar navigation (since it invested so heavily in it), but the fact is that OnStar is NOT the solution. People want a nav unit in their main console display (with nice colorful graphics...you know, like all the other car manufacturers). OnStar nav does not offer any real graphics, and I don't want to deal with a dang operator every time I want to go somewhere. Plus, it's none of GM's business where I go anyway! People also want to use their OWN cell phones, not a separate phone number provided by OnStar.

You gradually begin to realize that GM has been behind the times when it took the company until the 2009 model year to offer Bluetooth in all its cars. Even my 2008 G8 does not have Bluetooth (unlike every other car in its class). I mean, come on now!
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 10,521
come to think of it... OnStar is probably exactly why they don't have nav build in. it makes no sense for somebody to pay for that subscription if they have a navigation system right in front of them. GM & OnStar are both businesses, therefore they're goal is to stay well into the green. that's my guess
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Attorneyguy
 
Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
come to think of it... OnStar is probably exactly why they don't have nav build in. it makes no sense for somebody to pay for that subscription if they have a navigation system right in front of them. GM & OnStar are both businesses, therefore they're goal is to stay well into the green. that's my guess
That is EXACTLY why we don't get nav. GM put good money into its OnStar nav system. Putting a nav unit in the center console of your Camaro would undercut OnStar nav subscriptions.

Forget the fact that most GM customers would opt for a regular nav system as opposed to OnStar's nav system. Once again, poor choices and poor investment by GM. Hence their struggles...

(It doesn't help that GM didn't even make the Camaro friendly for aftermarket solutions).
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
Joe in T.O.
 
Drives: 1970 GTO Ragtop
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 325
Attorneyguy, that install looks great on your G8. I am also spoiled with in-dash Nav on our 07 Tahoe and 07 Avalanche. I also wondered that when the unit is an option, do they need a different dashboard due to the Camaro design?
Joe in T.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #22
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,554
OnStar is NOT why Nav is not available...

NAV is an available option on Many (but not all) GM cars even with OnStar. That said, there is probably some other reason why there is no Nav option (They liked the dash design as is and didnt want to clutter it with a screen there? who knows....). I don't know what it is, but i probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #23
BryGo
Moving up in the world...
 
BryGo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 202
C'mon guys!

The majority on this site are MEN. We don't need no stinkin' directions. We don't need no stinkin' NAV. All you need to know is which way your heading. Our servicemen, back in the day, had a map and a compass. All you need, is a compass, which the Camaro has.

Problem solved.

Man up!

__________________
1100 - 11/21/08
2000 - 5/26/09
3000 - 5/27/09
3300 - 6/5/09
3400 - 6/19/09
3800 - 6/19/09
4000 - 6/24/09
4104 - 6/28/09
4B00 - 7/1/09
4200 - 7/20/09
5000 - 7/30/09
6000 - 7/31/09

IT'S HOME!!!!
BryGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 10,521
^^ +1

i'm still diggin the a-pillar idea. that's where they put the little screen in the cobalt ss, so why not? it won't screw up the dash & is still out of the way, yet easily seen!
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #25
Attorneyguy
 
Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGo View Post
C'mon guys!

The majority on this site are MEN. We don't need no stinkin' directions. We don't need no stinkin' NAV. All you need to know is which way your heading. Our servicemen, back in the day, had a map and a compass. All you need, is a compass, which the Camaro has.

Problem solved.

Man up!

By that logic, we also don't need a USB port to play our MP3s. Real men play their 8 tracks.

We also don't need active fuel management. Real men don't worry about fuel efficiency.

We also don't need airbags and other safety devices. Real men don't wear seat belts (they're not cool, man).

Look, a good number of consumers want their 2010 model vehicle to have certain features--features that the main competitors have. The Challenger has navigation. So does the Mustang. In fact, the Mustang's navigation unit is voice-activated. If you don't want navigation, then so be it. Don't order it. But GM should have offered the option.

We don't even know where to put our aftermarket nav units because of how the Camaro interior is designed!
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #26
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,006
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorneyguy View Post
The Traverse doesn't even have Nav? Does it at least have OnStar navigation?

GM put all its money into OnStar navigation (since it invested so heavily in it), but the fact is that OnStar is NOT the solution. People want a nav unit in their main console display (with nice colorful graphics...you know, like all the other car manufacturers). OnStar nav does not offer any real graphics, and I don't want to deal with a dang operator every time I want to go somewhere. Plus, it's none of GM's business where I go anyway! People also want to use their OWN cell phones, not a separate phone number provided by OnStar.

You gradually begin to realize that GM has been behind the times when it took the company until the 2009 model year to offer Bluetooth in all its cars. Even my 2008 G8 does not have Bluetooth (unlike every other car in its class). I mean, come on now!
Traverses have navigation. It just depends on which model you get. In fact, all four Lambdas have navigation.

By the way, it's actually kinda funny that everyone is mad because GM's new interiors are now integrated. A few years back, everyone was complaining about how outdated our interiors were because we still had "slide-in" switchgear.

There's just no way to satisfy people.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
Eich
 
Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Traverses have navigation. It just depends on which model you get. In fact, all four Lambdas have navigation.

By the way, it's actually kinda funny that everyone is mad because GM's new interiors are now integrated. A few years back, everyone was complaining about how outdated our interiors were because we still had "slide-in" switchgear.

There's just no way to satisfy people.
No - people didn't like past GM interiors because they looked cheap, used cheap materials, were mono-chromatic and boring.

The problem with Camaro's interior is that GM spent too much time trying to make a center stack more unique than it is functional. They took feedback from a well-received concept car and it just didn't translate well into plastic.

The Camaro's center stack just looks odd and doesn't lend itself to adding modern conveniences like Navigation. Looking at it, it kind've reminds me of the robot from Lost in Space. It has a face (display), two arms (knobs) and two legs (playstation-like HVAC controls).



Last edited by Eich; 01-04-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #28
NUCAR
 
Drives: 68 big block
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: tossed off see ya
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
OnStar is NOT why Nav is not available...

there is probably some other reason why there is no Nav option (They liked the dash design as is and didnt want to clutter it with a screen there? who knows....). I don't know what it is,

but i probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.
This MIGHT be the reason....how many would pony up 2k for a screen?
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
CNN: Camaro: From sketchpad to street - The rebirth of a muscle car ... Gatecrasher 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 49 10-05-2009 03:33 PM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 04:38 PM
UPCOMING CAMARO IMPORTANT DATES CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 125 01-11-2009 12:31 AM
Q&A with fbodfather (Scott Settlemire) regarding upcoming Camaro JustinZS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 22 05-20-2008 07:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.